Re: WS3600/WS3610

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 13, 2005
      Dave,

      It is my understanding that the 3600 uses the serial handshake lines
      to communicate with the unit whereas the 2300 uses regular serial
      communications.

      I would suspect that the handshake lines are either no enabled or not
      compatible with the USB serial converter that you are using.

      You might investigate hardware handshaking in your USB serial
      converter manual. There might be some configuration required to
      enable the handshaking.

      Then again, it may be a matter of timing. I am not sure if the
      handshake scheme they are using is timing sensitive or not.

      Which operating system are you using?

      There is a support page on the lacrosse site. I would not hold my
      breath on receiving a bug fix though.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "David Higgins"
      <higginsdj@b...> wrote:
      > OK,
      >
      > Have some more information. It works on a PC (ie fixed Serial
      ports)

      > The issue would appear to be with USB-Serial Interface cables (as
      my
      > laptops do not have serial ports). All 3 different USB-Serial
      ports
      > tried on 2 different laptops fail to work with the Heavyweather
      > software and the WS3600.
      >
      > Now Heavyweather for the 2300 series works just fine with the USB-
      > Serial adapters and the WS2308 unit. Either it is a problem with
      the
      > WS3600 or a problem with the software.
      >
      > So, how does one report defects/bugs to Heavyweather?
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > David Higgins
      > Canberra, Australia
      >
      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "David Higgins"
      > <higginsdj@b...> wrote:
      > > Does anyone have a version of heavyweather that works with the
      > > WS3600? On one of my computers it connects reads the data once
      and
      > > then ends up displaying cannot find weather station on com port
      X.
      > On
      > > my other PC it goes through the 'Communicating with Weather
      Station'
      > > but nothing is displayed then it gives the cannot find.....
      message.

    • stevech@san.rr.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 13, 2005

        Mine works. You have to have the special version of HW for the 3610.

        The serial port must be a stock PC serial port on the motherboard because of the totally goofball scheme they use in the 3610.

      • stevech@san.rr.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 13, 2005

          3610 does not transmit serial data on the RS232 TD and RD lines. Instead, they bit-bang data using RTS/CTS/DTR/DCD by some bizzare means. I could not get the 3610 to work via a USB-to-serial dongle nor via my EdgePort 8 port serial-to-USB.

          The designers of the 3610 (LaCrosse's supplier) made a really stupid decision in doing this in this era of disappearing serial ports on PCs.

          > Have some more information. It works on a PC (ie fixed Serial ports)
          >
          > The issue would appear to be with USB-Serial Interface cables (as
          > my
          > laptops do not have serial ports). All 3 different USB-Serial
          > ports
          > tried on 2 different laptops fail to work with the Heavyweather
          > software and the WS3600.
          >
          > Now Heavyweather for the 2300 series works just fine with the USB-
          > Serial adapters and the WS2308 unit. Either it is a problem with
          > the
          > WS3600 or a problem with the software.
          >
          > So, how does one report defects/bugs to Heavyweather?
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > David Higgins
          > Canberra, Australia
          >
          > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "David Higgins"
          > <higginsdj@b...> wrote:
          > > Does anyone have a version of heavyweather that works with the
          > > WS3600? On !
          one of my
        • stevech@san.rr.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 13, 2005

            Handshaking configuration in Windows applies only to the serial COM driver. I doubt that HeavyWeather uses that mode but instead manages its own low level API calls to manipulate the I/O bits so the windows configration settings would be N/A.

            "

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 13, 2005
              I believe they are accessing the hardware handshake lines using the
              Win32 API.

              I would guess that most USB serial converters do not properly handle
              the handshaking lines.

              There may or may not be a seperate configuration manager for your
              particular USB converter.

              I suppose I would shop for one that advertizes full hardware
              handshakign support.