Re: Upgrade my WS-2317 or keep this? Re-starting weather station.

  • William D
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2011
      I replaced my LaCrosse 2308 with a brand new Davis VP2 wireless last summer.

      I got it for 380 bucks from Provantage Corp (http://www.provantage.com/davis-instruments~880DAVS.htm) on eBay.  They are an authorized reseller of Davis stations and sell them on their site, but regularly put stations on eBay where you can get one for much cheaper.

      I absolutely love the VP2, haven't had any issues with it at all and you can't beat the 2 second updates!

      > Or you could buy a brand new Oregon Scientific WMR968 for about $200. Of
      > course the Davis is a better device but the OS works very well.
      >
      > Don
      >

      > On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 2:03 AM, wuhu_software wuhu_software@...wrote:
      >

      > > Joe,
      > >
      > > Over on the weather forum someone is selling a 3 year old Davis Vue for
      > > $200.
      > >
      > > http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=11429.0
      > >
      > > It probably does not come with a logger which you would need to send data
      > > to the PC but I have heard those can go as cheap as $75 on eBay.
      > >
      > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Joe S" latenightgator@
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi all,
      > > >
      > > > Had my weather station for a two years running then I decided that I
      > > needed to take my thremo-hydro and rain sensors off the roof of my home
      > > where my anemometer was installed. Roof is probably a good 40 feet off the
      > > ground, so the wind readings were good. I learned that I should have my rain
      > > collector lower due to blowing wind affecting it. There was too much
      > > reflective heat coming off my roof that was giving me much higher readings.
      > > >
      > > > But when I did this ... I never put it back together :(
      > > >
      > > > Now I want to hook it all back up, but I'm willing to newer/better
      > > equipment if there is something in the under $500 range.
      > > >
      > > > Important to me were frequent updates.
      > > >
      > > > I used to do RapidFire updates to Weather Underground every few seconds.
      > > I would like to get very frequent wind updates as near real-time as
      > > possible. (Note: for this, I used a cabled (not wireless) connection).
      > > >
      > > > Naturally, the measurements should be rather precise.
      > > >
      > > > Should I stick with my WS-2317 parts or is there newer LaCrosse or Davis
      > > equipment in my price range that might make me happier?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks all
      > > > Joe Sosa
      > > >
      > > > WU ID: KFLDAVIE6
      > > > MADIS ID: D0107
      > > > http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/D0107
      > > >

      > --
      > The day Microsoft starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they start making
      > something that doesn't suck.

    • William D
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2011

        Here is one thats on eBay now from them: http://cgi.ebay.com/Davis-Wireless-Vantage-Pro-2-Weather-Station-6152-Pro2-/140539663819?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b8d115cb#ht_3074wt_1140

        I absolutely love the VP2, haven't had any issues with it at all and you can't beat the 2 second updates!

        > Or you could buy a brand new Oregon Scientific WMR968 for about $200. Of
        > course the Davis is a better device but the OS works very well.
        >
        > Don
        >

        > On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 2:03 AM, wuhu_software <wuhu_software@...>wrote:
        >

        > > Joe,
        > >
        > > Over on the weather forum someone is selling a 3 year old Davis Vue for
        > > $200.
        > >
        > > http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=11429.0
        > >
        > > It probably does not come with a logger which you would need to send data
        > > to the PC but I have heard those can go as cheap as $75 on eBay.
        > >
        > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Joe S" <latenightgator@>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi all,
        > > >
        > > > Had my weather station for a two years running then I decided that I
        > > needed to take my thremo-hydro and rain sensors off the roof of my home
        > > where my anemometer was installed. Roof is probably a good 40 feet off the
        > > ground, so the wind readings were good. I learned that I should have my rain
        > > collector lower due to blowing wind affecting it. There was too much
        > > reflective heat coming off my roof that was giving me much higher readings.
        > > >
        > > > But when I did this ... I never put it back together :(
        > > >
        > > > Now I want to hook it all back up, but I'm willing to newer/better
        > > equipment if there is something in the under $500 range.
        > > >
        > > > Important to me were frequent updates.
        > > >
        > > > I used to do RapidFire updates to Weather Underground every few seconds.
        > > I would like to get very frequent wind updates as near real-time as
        > > possible. (Note: for this, I used a cabled (not wireless) connection).
        > > >
        > > > Naturally, the measurements should be rather precise.
        > > >
        > > > Should I stick with my WS-2317 parts or is there newer LaCrosse or Davis
        > > equipment in my price range that might make me happier?
        > > >
        > > > Thanks all
        > > > Joe Sosa
        > > >
        > > > WU ID: KFLDAVIE6
        > > > MADIS ID: D0107
        > > > http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/D0107
        > > >

        > --
        > The day Microsoft starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they start making
        > something that doesn't suck.

      • Joe S
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2011
          Actually, I read about the Davis Vue that the original reply came in. When I read more about the Vue versus the Pro2, it seems that the Pro2 is what I really need.

          Thanks for the link to eBay - this looks like they offer great deals. I'm wondering, though, if I should look at the fan-aspirated model for the radiation shield. But I guess if I am looking to post my hygrometer on a fence post just a few feet off the ground and above grass, I might not get much radiation that would interfere, thus lessening the need of the fan aspiration. (That and it's a few hundred $$$ extra too!)

          Joe

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "William D" <wdepriest@...> wrote:

          > I replaced my LaCrosse 2308 with a brand new Davis VP2 wireless last summer.
          >
          > I got it for 380 bucks from Provantage Corp (http://www.provantage.com/davis-instruments~880DAVS.htm) on eBay. They are an authorized reseller of Davis stations and sell them on their site, but regularly put stations on eBay where you can get one for much cheaper.
          >
          > Here is one thats on eBay now from them: http://cgi.ebay.com/Davis-Wireless-Vantage-Pro-2-Weather-Station-6152-Pro2-/140539663819?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b8d115cb#ht_3074wt_1140
          >
          > I absolutely love the VP2, haven't had any issues with it at all and you can't beat the 2 second updates!
          >
          > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Don Lafferty <don@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Or you could buy a brand new Oregon Scientific WMR968 for about $200. Of
          > > course the Davis is a better device but the OS works very well.
          > >
          > > Don
          > >

          > > On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 2:03 AM, wuhu_software <wuhu_software@>wrote:
          > >

          > > > Joe,
          > > >
          > > > Over on the weather forum someone is selling a 3 year old Davis Vue for
          > > > $200.
          > > >
          > > > http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=11429.0
          > > >
          > > > It probably does not come with a logger which you would need to send data
          > > > to the PC but I have heard those can go as cheap as $75 on eBay.
          > > >
          > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Joe S" <latenightgator@>

          > > > needed to take my thremo-hydro and rain sensors off the roof of my home
          > > > where my anemometer was installed. Roof is probably a good 40 feet off the
          > > > ground, so the wind readings were good. I learned that I should have my rain
          > > > collector lower due to blowing wind affecting it. There was too much
          > > > reflective heat coming off my roof that was giving me much higher readings.

          > > > equipment if there is something in the under $500 range.

          > > > I would like to get very frequent wind updates as near real-time as
          > > > possible. (Note: for this, I used a cabled (not wireless) connection).

          > > > equipment in my price range that might make me happier?

          > > --
          > > The day Microsoft starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they start making
          > > something that doesn't suck.

        • chris
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2011
            When I bought my VP2 I thought about the fan aspirator since I had such an issue with my previous temperature gauge and the sun.  My VP2 is in full sun in Southeast Texas and has no problem whatsoever without the aspirator.  You might try it without first, and check performance – you can always add it later.  It would allow you to get the optional UV sensor if you don’t need the aspirator!

            href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Davis-Wireless-Vantage-Pro-2-Weather-Station-6152-Pro2-/140539663819?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b8d115cb#ht_3074wt_1140">http://cgi.ebay.com/Davis-Wireless-Vantage-Pro-2-Weather-Station-6152-Pro2-/140539663819?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b8d115cb#ht_3074wt_1140

            href="http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=11429.0">http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=11429.0

            href="mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com, "Joe S" <latenightgator@>

            > > > needed to take my thremo-hydro and rain sensors off the roof
            of my home
            > > > where my anemometer was installed. Roof is probably
            a good 40 feet off the
            > > > ground, so the wind readings were good.
            I learned that I should have my rain
            > > > collector lower due to
            blowing wind affecting it. There was too much
            > > > reflective heat
            coming off my roof that was giving me much higher readings.

            up, but I'm willing to newer/better
            > > > equipment if there is
            something in the under $500 range.

            Important to me were frequent updates.

            > > > I would like to get very frequent wind updates as
            near real-time as
            > > > possible. (Note: for this, I used a cabled
            (not wireless) connection).

            Naturally, the measurements should be rather precise.

            > > > equipment in my price range that might
            make me happier?

            all

            href="http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/D0107">http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/D0107

            > > --
            > > The day
            Microsoft starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they start making
            > > something that doesn't suck.

          • Joe S
            Message 5 of 9 , May 3, 2011
              This is good to hear. I'll probably go without it.

              Now, I'm just watching eBay or go with a online retailer (ambiantweather.com quoted me a sub-$400 price for the 6152).

              Thanks again.

              > When I bought my VP2 I thought about the fan aspirator since I had such an issue with my previous temperature gauge and the sun. My VP2 is in full sun in Southeast Texas and has no problem whatsoever without the aspirator. You might try it without first, and check performance â€" you can always add it later. It would allow you to get the optional UV sensor if you don’t need the aspirator!

            • Greggo
              Message 6 of 9 , May 3, 2011
                I have a WS-2315, WMR968 and VP2 all on the same pole, all running WUHU. You can see them on my website if you'd like to compare the readings/updates/etc.

                Good luck! :)

                Greg Whitehead
                Euchee, TN
                CWOP: DW0148