WS3600/WS3610

  • David Higgins
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 13 3:05 AM
      Does anyone have a version of heavyweather that works with the
      WS3600? On one of my computers it connects reads the data once and
      then ends up displaying cannot find weather station on com port X. On
      my other PC it goes through the 'Communicating with Weather Station'
      but nothing is displayed then it gives the cannot find..... message.

      I note that my install does not contain a history.dat file and even
      when it connects and get the first information it doesn't write a
      histroy.dat file.

      Is this a known issue or have I got another dud?

      Cheers

      David Higgins
      Canberra, Australia
    • David Higgins
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 13 4:19 AM
        OK,

        Have some more information. It works on a PC (ie fixed Serial ports)

        The issue would appear to be with USB-Serial Interface cables (as my
        laptops do not have serial ports). All 3 different USB-Serial ports
        tried on 2 different laptops fail to work with the Heavyweather
        software and the WS3600.

        Now Heavyweather for the 2300 series works just fine with the USB-
        Serial adapters and the WS2308 unit. Either it is a problem with the
        WS3600 or a problem with the software.

        So, how does one report defects/bugs to Heavyweather?

        Cheers

        David Higgins
        Canberra, Australia

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "David Higgins"

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 13 8:07 AM
          Dave,

          It is my understanding that the 3600 uses the serial handshake lines
          to communicate with the unit whereas the 2300 uses regular serial
          communications.

          I would suspect that the handshake lines are either no enabled or not
          compatible with the USB serial converter that you are using.

          You might investigate hardware handshaking in your USB serial
          converter manual. There might be some configuration required to
          enable the handshaking.

          Then again, it may be a matter of timing. I am not sure if the
          handshake scheme they are using is timing sensitive or not.

          Which operating system are you using?

          There is a support page on the lacrosse site. I would not hold my
          breath on receiving a bug fix though.

        • stevech@san.rr.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 13 12:24 PM

            Mine works. You have to have the special version of HW for the 3610.

            The serial port must be a stock PC serial port on the motherboard because of the totally goofball scheme they use in the 3610.

          • stevech@san.rr.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 13 12:27 PM

              3610 does not transmit serial data on the RS232 TD and RD lines. Instead, they bit-bang data using RTS/CTS/DTR/DCD by some bizzare means. I could not get the 3610 to work via a USB-to-serial dongle nor via my EdgePort 8 port serial-to-USB.

              The designers of the 3610 (LaCrosse's supplier) made a really stupid decision in doing this in this era of disappearing serial ports on PCs.

              > Have some more information. It works on a PC (ie fixed Serial ports)
              >
              > The issue would appear to be with USB-Serial Interface cables (as
              > my
              > laptops do not have serial ports). All 3 different USB-Serial
              > ports
              > tried on 2 different laptops fail to work with the Heavyweather
              > software and the WS3600.
              >
              > Now Heavyweather for the 2300 series works just fine with the USB-
              > Serial adapters and the WS2308 unit. Either it is a problem with
              > the
              > WS3600 or a problem with the software.
              >
              > So, how does one report defects/bugs to Heavyweather?
              >
              > Cheers
              >
              > David Higgins
              > Canberra, Australia
              >
              > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "David Higgins"
              > <higginsdj@b...> wrote:
              > > Does anyone have a version of heavyweather that works with the
              > > WS3600? On !
              one of my
            • stevech@san.rr.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 13 12:31 PM

                Handshaking configuration in Windows applies only to the serial COM driver. I doubt that HeavyWeather uses that mode but instead manages its own low level API calls to manipulate the I/O bits so the windows configration settings would be N/A.

                "

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 13 3:02 PM
                  I believe they are accessing the hardware handshake lines using the
                  Win32 API.

                  I would guess that most USB serial converters do not properly handle
                  the handshaking lines.

                  There may or may not be a seperate configuration manager for your
                  particular USB converter.

                  I suppose I would shop for one that advertizes full hardware
                  handshakign support.