Re: fake gust

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 23, 2011
      The WS-23XX are notorious for generating bogus wind readings.

      In the tweak screen, right hand side, you can limit the max reported wind speed (that or higher is rejected) or give a list of known bad wind speed readings to ignore.

      The known bad wind readings for a WS-23XX are:

      57.0, 75.0, 114.1

      Note that these value must be specified in MPH.

      If you had 95 km/h that is 59 mph, you can add that one to your list of bad readings.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Kareh <josephkareh@...> wrote:

      > Dear all
      >
      > my station was working good since about o month, but suddenly yesterday and
      > today sometimes the wind gust is mention a value that is not real
      >
      > for ex the wind is calm but i saw the gust 95km/h.on my console
      >
      > thanks for help
      >  Joseph A. Kareh
      > josephkareh@...

    • fish_water_black
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 23, 2011
        My Davis Weather Monitor II can do this at times when the wind is near to totally calm. What happens is the magnet in the anemometer rocks back & forth across the reed switch inside manipulating it as if the wind is blowing at around 90 to 120 mph. When actually the wind is nearly calm and barely moving the 3-cup anemometer. Or having a spider building it's web up there has caused that problem too.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Kareh <josephkareh@...> wrote:

        > Dear all
        >
        > my station was working good since about o month, but suddenly yesterday and
        > today sometimes the wind gust is mention a value that is not real
        >
        > for ex the wind is calm but i saw the gust 95km/h.on my console
        >
        > thanks for help
        >  Joseph A. Kareh
        > josephkareh@...

      • Joseph Kareh
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 23, 2011
          Dear forum

          i have made some research regarding the wind fake, i have found that this is a common problem of the ws2300 serie
          and this is due to electromagnetic interference because the cable between the wind vane and the sensor is week.
          to prevent this kindly read this interesting procedure (below link) By the way Thanks for Dimitris

          http://users.otenet.gr/~meteo/project_replace-telephone-cable-with-cat5.html

          Joseph A. Kareh
          josephkareh@...

          The WS-23XX are notorious for generating bogus wind readings.

          In the tweak screen, right hand side, you can limit the max reported wind speed (that or higher is rejected) or give a list of known bad wind speed readings to ignore.

          The known bad wind readings for a WS-23XX are:

          57.0, 75.0, 114.1

          Note that these value must be specified in MPH.

          If you had 95 km/h that is 59 mph, you can add that one to your list of bad readings.

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Kareh <josephkareh@...> wrote:

          > Dear all
          >
          > my station was working good since about o month, but suddenly yesterday and
          > today sometimes the wind gust is mention a value that is not real
          >
          > for ex the wind is calm but i saw the gust 95km/h.on my console
          >
          > thanks for help
          >  Joseph A. Kareh
          > josephkareh@...

        • Kevin
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 24, 2011
            Hi!

            I was able to eliminate interference causing false wind readings by twisting the wire between the anemometer and temp sensor. I also added a ferrite choke. I have 50 feet between the anemometer and the temp sensor via a RJ11 barrel and 20ft telephone extension. I have 100 ft of cable from station to the temp sensor, non shielded four conductor phone, the round type. I believe the two pairs are twisted. The reason twisting work is the interference is induced in, and out of phase when you twist, canceling the interference signal. I used two or three twists per foot. Grounding issues also seem to have a big effect. If the ground on the power plug of the PC that the station is attached to is at a different potential than a metal pipe the cable runs along or the TV tower the anemometer wind vane is mounted on you can get ground loop induced hum which may cause bad readings. Try running everything off the same outlet, try a gray ground lifter in the PC power cord or run a separate ground wire from the PC chassis to earth ground.

            www.kevinspage.com

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Kareh <josephkareh@...> wrote:

            > Dear forum
            >
            > i have made some research regarding the wind fake, i have found that this is
            > a common problem of the ws2300 serie
            > and this is due to electromagnetic interference because the cable between the
            > wind vane and the sensor is week.
            > to prevent this kindly read this interesting procedure (below link) By the way
            > Thanks for Dimitris
            >
            > http://users.otenet.gr/~meteo/project_replace-telephone-cable-with-cat5.html%c3%82%c2%a0
            > Joseph A. Kareh
            > josephkareh@...