WV5 Communication Service

  • fish_water_black
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 18 5:24 PM
      Got an error stating the Windows WV5 Communication Service is not running. Where do I look to get it running again?

      OS: Windows XP Service pack 3
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 19 2:19 AM
        That is installed by HW Pro 28XX to read the console data. It is a service so you can access it through the control panel/Administrative Services. Check the properties, make sure that the startup type is set to Auto so that it automatically starts when you log in.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "fish_water_black" <fish_water_black@...> wrote:

        > Got an error stating the Windows WV5 Communication Service is not running. Where do I look to get it running again?
        >
        > OS: Windows XP Service pack 3

      • fish_water_black
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 19 6:54 PM
          It's working now since I booted my desktop PC after getting home from work. Not sure why every time I get a new update from Microsoft that something gets turned off like that. I went six months with no audio, even though the driver was working fine. Pop a CD in the DVD-RW drive and it's playing, but I have no sound. Nothing wrong with the speakers. After getting that issue fix, then started having problems with the Printer Spooler Service stopped running. I manage to get that back as well.

          Seem to be getting allot more updates from Microsoft here lately too. Far more than before. My PC has to reboot from these Windows updates at least three times a week. Before it was like about three times a month.

          I heard that Microsoft will end auto updates for Windows XP soon.

          > That is installed by HW Pro 28XX to read the console data. It is a service so you can access it through the control panel/Administrative Services. Check the properties, make sure that the startup type is set to Auto so that it automatically starts when you log in.
          >

          > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "fish_water_black" <fish_water_black@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Got an error stating the Windows WV5 Communication Service is not running. Where do I look to get it running again?
          > >
          > > OS: Windows XP Service pack 3

        • Ken
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 20 6:12 AM
            Authoring software/drivers is a process. The first step is to get the basics running. The followup is to add necessary features. LaCross manages to get the first part. From what I see, that is their stopping point. My guess is their monitoring software was written to ignore little glitches. WUHU is more real time and doesn't forgive and some will see the log start flashing as a result.

            In your case it looks like they inserted a driver in a chain at startup. But, they failed or thought it unnecessary to add recovery. When MS updated that driver the initialization linkage was broken and its hooks were lost. The reboot repaired the linkage.

            Most of the feature WUHU adds at this point relate to featuritis requested by end users. The software was solid and had been written through the second step. That not to say that there aren't possible bugs but that most oddities of operation were being error trapped and resolved by the software.

            I don't know about other weather hardware but my experience with LaCross is that it is a long ways from five-nines.
          • fish_water_black
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 4, 2012
              Where do I find the Service under "Administrative Tools"?

              Would it be in Component Services? Or Service?

              This latest Win Update back in May really knocked my PC out. Been hoping for some extra cash to take the PC and have it worked over completely, but the darn bills keep eating up my hard earn paychecks. I really hate to see the electric bill for next month with temps already above 100*F now. Was really hoping to drop dial-up and go to wireless internet - nope! Not going to happen any time soon, that's for sure.

              Any who, I don't see it anywhere in either section. I tried to open up WUHU and all it shows is "The charts cannot be created". Then one of those pop-ups where the "Program has encountered a problem and must be shut down" occurs. "Do you want to send the error report to Microsoft?" Not like they would know what to do.

              On top of that I still cannot get my AV to work. All that does is overclock my CPU to a point where it takes over an hour to open up a simple program. I cannot get Windows to check for updates as it supposedly cannot detect if my OS is legit & legal. It was legit and legal back in mid May 2012 and has been legit/legal OS license since May 2003 when I bought this PC. It was automatically downloading on it's own, security updates up to mid May 2012.

              Trying to update the drivers on my PC but can't do that as the WIN web page claims my PC is out of date and cannot be updated any more. Not sure what to do any more. If anything! Can't afford to take it in and get it fixed. Thanks in part that I see no pay raise in sight and everything around me is costing more.

              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "fish_water_black" <fish_water_black@...> wrote:

              > Got an error stating the Windows WV5 Communication Service is not running. Where do I look to get it running again?
              >
              > OS: Windows XP Service pack 3

            • Barbara Rosen
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 5, 2012
                I'm not a PC expert, but I've also have an old Windows XP PC struggling to keep going, running 2 copies of WUHU.  I've had many problems, some of which might be similar.  It seems that after a windows update is released, lots of things change, but not all at the same time, so everything gets out of whack, and many mysterious errors occur.

                Here is what I do when my PC is behaving badly after a Windows update:

                Go to Start Menu - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore

                Follow the wizard and select a restore point that where it was working, or the oldest one available.

                The PC's system will go back to that time, and the Windows updates will be reapplied depending on your update settings.  Your data will stay in tact.
                Usually this works for me, even though it takes a long time when my PC is very messed up.

                If I am not able to boot, Windows XP allows you to select the last known successful boot time, and use that.  Then use the system restore to go back to an earlier time.

                I have been planing to restore my computer's OS from scratch, but then you have to save all your data first, and I haven't found time to do that yet.   That's a very good option if you can back up your data.

                Where do I find the Service under "Administrative Tools"?

                Would it be in Component Services? Or Service?

                This latest Win Update back in May really knocked my PC out. Been hoping for some extra cash to take the PC and have it worked over completely, but the darn bills keep eating up my hard earn paychecks. I really hate to see the electric bill for next month with temps already above 100*F now. Was really hoping to drop dial-up and go to wireless internet - nope! Not going to happen any time soon, that's for sure.

                Any who, I don't see it anywhere in either section. I tried to open up WUHU and all it shows is "The charts cannot be created". Then one of those pop-ups where the "Program has encountered a problem and must be shut down" occurs. "Do you want to send the error report to Microsoft?" Not like they would know what to do.

                On top of that I still cannot get my AV to work. All that does is overclock my CPU to a point where it takes over an hour to open up a simple program. I cannot get Windows to check for updates as it supposedly cannot detect if my OS is legit & legal. It was legit and legal back in mid May 2012 and has been legit/legal OS license since May 2003 when I bought this PC. It was automatically downloading on it's own, security updates up to mid May 2012.

                Trying to update the drivers on my PC but can't do that as the WIN web page claims my PC is out of date and cannot be updated any more. Not sure what to do any more. If anything! Can't afford to take it in and get it fixed. Thanks in part that I see no pay raise in sight and everything around me is costing more.

                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "fish_water_black" <fish_water_black@...> wrote:

                > Got an error stating the Windows WV5 Communication Service is not running. Where do I look to get it running again?
                >
                > OS: Windows XP Service pack 3

              • Ken
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 5, 2012
                  I run it on a FIT PC with XT. It is about the size of a pack of cigarettes running with an early AMD Geode. It is underpowered for anything but something like I am using it for. I do the security updates when they come. Never a hiccup. (Knock on Wood)

                  My computer is only a year old though. Failing components are less likely. I got this just to service the station. It consumes something around 7 watts. I run it from another computer using VPN.

                  If you are or know someone halfway handy, you could probably cobble together a similar replacement using a Raspberry Pi. XT could be installed on a thumb drive. The $39.95 one has wired network or you could add a USB wireless dongle.

                  If you want to try to keep the old setup, you might consider replacing the power supply. It a part that ages faster than most and intermittent trouble is consistent with a PS failing.

                  There are still a ton of XT machines still being used in process control. If it were due to bad updates coming from MS, we'd hear about it.
                • alrjr2001
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 5, 2012
                    Did you try to roll back the system to a time before the updates that caused you heartburn were installed? Here a good description & how to:

                    http://lifehacker.com/193546/geek-to-live--roll-back-windows-with-system-restore

                    Arnold In The Smokies
                    DW1121

                    --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "fish_water_black" <fish_water_black@...> wrote:

                    > Where do I find the Service under "Administrative Tools"?
                    >
                    > Would it be in Component Services? Or Service?
                    >
                    > This latest Win Update back in May really knocked my PC out. Been hoping for some extra cash to take the PC and have it worked over completely, but the darn bills keep eating up my hard earn paychecks. I really hate to see the electric bill for next month with temps already above 100*F now. Was really hoping to drop dial-up and go to wireless internet - nope! Not going to happen any time soon, that's for sure.
                    >
                    > Any who, I don't see it anywhere in either section. I tried to open up WUHU and all it shows is "The charts cannot be created". Then one of those pop-ups where the "Program has encountered a problem and must be shut down" occurs. "Do you want to send the error report to Microsoft?" Not like they would know what to do.
                    >
                    > On top of that I still cannot get my AV to work. All that does is overclock my CPU to a point where it takes over an hour to open up a simple program. I cannot get Windows to check for updates as it supposedly cannot detect if my OS is legit & legal. It was legit and legal back in mid May 2012 and has been legit/legal OS license since May 2003 when I bought this PC. It was automatically downloading on it's own, security updates up to mid May 2012.
                    >
                    > Trying to update the drivers on my PC but can't do that as the WIN web page claims my PC is out of date and cannot be updated any more. Not sure what to do any more. If anything! Can't afford to take it in and get it fixed. Thanks in part that I see no pay raise in sight and everything around me is costing more.
                    >
                    > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "fish_water_black" <fish_water_black@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Got an error stating the Windows WV5 Communication Service is not running. Where do I look to get it running again?
                    > >
                    > > OS: Windows XP Service pack 3

                  • fish_water_black
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 6, 2012
                      Yes, but at that time the PC locked up. Any time I tried to open or close a program the PC simply would lock up. Click on the Start button and the PC locked up. Do a cold boot, the PC would load up like normal and have the normal screen, the pointer would move about as normal, but click on anything and the PC simply locks up.

                      So I ran these CD-ROMS that my PC burn the first day I got my Compaq PResario back in May 2003. They are Compaq Recovery discs. There are two ways to run these discs, full system recovery which wipes off EVERYTHING from the hard drive and brings it back to the state it was in when I bought the PC. Or a partial recovery which saves all current data into a locked hidden folder within the hard drive. I took the PC in to have that folder unlocked so I can use my original files.

                      But I ran into allot of changes. My spreadsheets, which is Microsoft Works went back to the old version. So most of my spreadsheets couldn't do what they use to with the updated version. Windows Media Player went back to version 9. I had it at version 10 or 12. I now have IE6 which will not work on most web sites. I have IE8.

                      I tried to run Windows Update but get a message my XP cannot be updated. I had SP1, but when I took the PC in to have the folder unlocked, the tech installed SP3 as well as downloaded and installed the latest Google Chrome. Now at least I can surf the web again.

                      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "alrjr2001" <alrjr2001@...> wrote:

                      > Did you try to roll back the system to a time before the updates that caused you heartburn were installed? Here a good description & how to:
                      >
                      > http://lifehacker.com/193546/geek-to-live--roll-back-windows-with-system-restore
                      >
                      > Arnold In The Smokies
                      > DW1121
                      >
                      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "fish_water_black" <fish_water_black@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Where do I find the Service under "Administrative Tools"?
                      > >
                      > > Would it be in Component Services? Or Service?
                      > >
                      > > This latest Win Update back in May really knocked my PC out. Been hoping for some extra cash to take the PC and have it worked over completely, but the darn bills keep eating up my hard earn paychecks. I really hate to see the electric bill for next month with temps already above 100*F now. Was really hoping to drop dial-up and go to wireless internet - nope! Not going to happen any time soon, that's for sure.
                      > >
                      > > Any who, I don't see it anywhere in either section. I tried to open up WUHU and all it shows is "The charts cannot be created". Then one of those pop-ups where the "Program has encountered a problem and must be shut down" occurs. "Do you want to send the error report to Microsoft?" Not like they would know what to do.
                      > >
                      > > On top of that I still cannot get my AV to work. All that does is overclock my CPU to a point where it takes over an hour to open up a simple program. I cannot get Windows to check for updates as it supposedly cannot detect if my OS is legit & legal. It was legit and legal back in mid May 2012 and has been legit/legal OS license since May 2003 when I bought this PC. It was automatically downloading on it's own, security updates up to mid May 2012.
                      > >
                      > > Trying to update the drivers on my PC but can't do that as the WIN web page claims my PC is out of date and cannot be updated any more. Not sure what to do any more. If anything! Can't afford to take it in and get it fixed. Thanks in part that I see no pay raise in sight and everything around me is costing more.
                      > >
                      > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "fish_water_black" <fish_water_black@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Got an error stating the Windows WV5 Communication Service is not running. Where do I look to get it running again?
                      > > >
                      > > > OS: Windows XP Service pack 3

                    • fish_water_black
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 6, 2012
                        I believe the XP operating system stood for "Experimental Program". I have never had any issues with Windows 95 like I have with Windows XP.

                        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Rosen <gqsbrosen@...> wrote:

                        > I'm not a PC expert, but I've also have an old Windows XP PC struggling to keep going, running 2 copies of WUHU.  I've had many problems, some of which might be similar.  It seems that after a windows update is released, lots of things change, but not all at the same time, so everything gets out of whack, and many mysterious errors occur.
                        >

                        > Here is what I do when my PC is behaving badly after a Windows update:
                        >

                        > Go to Start Menu - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore
                        >
                        > Follow the wizard and select a restore point that where it was working, or the oldest one available.
                        >

                        > The PC's system will go back to that time, and the Windows updates will be reapplied depending on your update settings.  Your data will stay in tact.
                        >
                        > Usually this works for me, even though it takes a long time when my PC is very messed up.
                        >
                        > If I am not able to boot, Windows XP allows you to select the last known successful boot time, and use that.  Then use the system restore to go back to an earlier time.
                        >
                        > I have been planing to restore my computer's OS from scratch, but then you have to save all your data first, and I haven't found time to do that yet.   That's a very good option if you can back up your data.
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • Barbara Rosen
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 7, 2012
                          Not so much that, but Microsoft doesn't maintain support for XP like they did a few years ago, because they've put out Vista and 7, and XP is considered obsolete.  Also, you will find that a 9 year old PC does not have the memory or speed to handle most things these days.  You can be doing the same things that you did 9 years ago, but now those same applications need more resources to run.

                          I bought the PC I now use for the weather in 2006, and then it was a pretty high powered one.  Now, it barely functions, all it does is run the weather programs.   I bought my last 2 PCs on ebay, refurbished.  You can get a pretty good deal with refurbished PCs.  Problem is that most don't come with the dial up capability anymore.

                          Sorry that it cost you to get your PC working again.  We dropped our cable TV service to save money, and kept internet and phone.  Now I watch shows on line later after they are posted by the network.  We have 1 digital TV that can pick up local stations, but we just use it if there is a tornado or tropical storm watch.

                          I believe the XP operating system stood for "Experimental Program". I have never had any issues with Windows 95 like I have with Windows XP.

                          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Rosen <gqsbrosen@...> wrote:

                          > I'm not a PC expert, but I've also have an old Windows XP PC struggling to keep going, running 2 copies of WUHU.  I've had many problems, some of which might be similar.  It seems that after a windows update is released, lots of things change, but not all at the same time, so everything gets out of whack, and many mysterious errors occur.
                          >

                          > Here is what I do when my PC is behaving badly after a Windows update:
                          >

                          > Go to Start Menu - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore
                          >
                          > Follow the wizard and select a restore point that where it was working, or the oldest one available.
                          >

                          > The PC's system will go back to that time, and the Windows updates will be reapplied depending on your update settings.  Your data will stay in tact.
                          >
                          > Usually this works for me, even though it takes a long time when my PC is very messed up.
                          >
                          > If I am not able to boot, Windows XP allows you to select the last known successful boot time, and use that.  Then use the system restore to go back to an earlier time.
                          >
                          > I have been planing to restore my computer's OS from scratch, but then you have to save all your data first, and I haven't found time to do that yet.   That's a very good option if you can back up your data.
                          >

                          > ________________________________

                        • Ken
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 7, 2012
                            XP was one of the best efforts by Microsoft and is still useful. MS has a tradition of introducing a decent version and followed by a dog then decent. That hasn't missed yet and leave little hope for Windows8.

                            With the availability of small, media center PC's, I am surprised so many of you are using an older computer as a weather server. Old units typically consumed a lot of power. Video cards of that era were a big contributor.

                            Units like the Acer AspireRevo are reasonably priced, modest consumers of power and can also be attached to your TV to provide smart TV capability. There are similar units running Win7 with a processor with the Intel instruction set and a decent video processor.

                            These unit typically use less power than a light bulb. They are quiet and unobtrusive. It is an ideal unit for cable cutters. Doubling as your weather server is a nice bonus. Ones serial converter or USB weatherstation should install as easily as it did on the old box.

                            Amazon has a decent version of the Acer that shows features nicely.
                            http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AspireRevo-AR3700-U3002-Compact-Desktop/dp/B00433SP6G
                          • David Lipper
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 7, 2012
                              On 2012-07-07 09:01, Ken wrote:

[...]

                              I pondered the same problem, and ended up using an older netbook, with a small solid state drive.

                              I got it used on Ebay, and it's still running (knock wood).

                              My imprecise measurements show it consuming 14 watts in winter.

                              Probably more in summer, because despite no moving parts, it has a fan, which I can hear when the room gets hot.
                            • Chris Vickroy
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 7, 2012
                                Netbooks are great hosts as well. I have had an Asus EEE running my uploads for a couple of years now nonstop. It came with XP when I bought it.