Weather Bug / WSA Socket Errors

  • Chris D Baragwanath (G)
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 26, 2011
      Hi Heath and Group,

      The majority of updates to 'Weather Bug' are being logged in WUHU as unable to update as a result of a 'WSA Socket Error' All other upload sites are fine.

      There is a huge amount of confusing to the lay person info on the 'Net regarding WSA - is there a simple version of what causes a WSA error and how best to deal with it ?

      I assume that as all the other upload sites are fine, the error exists on Weatherbugs side ?

      Many thanks in advance,

      Kind Regards,

      Chris D Baragwanath
      (Johannesburg, South Africa)

      Quis custōdiet ipsōs custōdēs ?

      Skype: chris.baragwanath
      UTC +2  = (South Africa Standard Time)
      1550m
      S26.10900
      E27.97100
      Current Weather: http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IGAUTENG34
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 26, 2011
        Can you copy and paste the particular WSA socket error? That might be a clue depending on the error code.

        To copy a log message to the clipboard, in the log, click the line then hit the Copy Selected button. You can then right click and paste here.

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 26, 2011
          Hi,

          Sat Feb 26 21:20:56 2011 > WeatherBug Live Upload: Informational Only InternetOpenUrl() returned error 0x00002efd (12029), ERROR_INTERNET_CANNOT_CONNECT - WSA Socket Error 0x00002efd (12029).
          Sat Feb 26 21:26:28 2011 > WeatherBug Live Upload: Informational Only InternetOpenUrl() returned error 0x00002efd (12029), ERROR_INTERNET_CANNOT_CONNECT - WSA Socket Error 0x00002efd (12029).

          (Running a trace route to their Server IP 8.15.14.81 comes up clear)

          Many thanks,

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 26, 2011
            A connection with the server could not be established (0x00002efd).

            That is a pretty generic error, could be an ISP issue, firewall issue, has anything changed recently?

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 28, 2011
              This error very predominately happens with WeatherBug and has happened since first signing on with them as a contributor in late 2009 and despite re-creating the account with them at their request. Signed up for all the other major weather sites defined in WUHU at approximately the same time and not had the nearly the same amount of errors from these other sites. Reporting the 'problem' to WeatherBug has not helped. It seems their server is available most times when 'pinged' but just doesn't respond to FTP transfers or 'times out' when a request to send is made.

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 28, 2011
                Are you running the latest version of WUHU? For whatever reason, one of our users needed a maximum time out of 60 seconds to receive the response from their server. That was added a month or two ago. We never did figure out why the response was taking so long to get back to their machine but the increased time out did seem to fix the problem.