Re: New Weatherunderground format

  • KNHBRIST1
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 2, 2011
      I agree, it will take some getting use to, but that happens with all change.
      I think the new site has a nice smooth feel to it....I like it :)
      Make sure to watch the clips about what is new at the website, found some items I did not immediately notice.
      Steve
    • Don Lafferty
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 2, 2011
        I checked it right before leaving for work this morning and it had a link to the new stuff.  Now I can't find that.  Anyone have a url?

        Thanks
        Don

        On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 4:16 AM, KNHBRIST1 <steve_03222@...> wrote:

        I agree, it will take some getting use to, but that happens with all change.
        I think the new site has a nice smooth feel to it....I like it :)
        Make sure to watch the clips about what is new at the website, found some items I did not immediately notice.

      • ronw72
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 2, 2011
          Don,

          Is this what you are looking for

          http://www.wunderground.com/blog/WunderPress/show.html

          Ron

          > I checked it right before leaving for work this morning and it had a link to
          > the new stuff. Now I can't find that. Anyone have a url?
          >
          > Thanks
          > Don
          >
          > On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 4:16 AM, KNHBRIST1 <steve_03222@...> wrote:
          >

          > > I agree, it will take some getting use to, but that happens with all
          > > change.
          > > I think the new site has a nice smooth feel to it....I like it :)
          > > Make sure to watch the clips about what is new at the website, found some
          > > items I did not immediately notice.
          > > Steve
          > >

          > --
          > The day Microsoft starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they start making
          > something that doesn't suck.

        • Nick Andrews
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 2, 2011
            Change sucks.  Change for the sake of change is idiotic at best.  Whether these are improvements or not remains to be seen...

            On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 8:07 AM, Don Lafferty <don@...> wrote:

            I checked it right before leaving for work this morning and it had a link to the new stuff.  Now I can't find that.  Anyone have a url?

            Thanks
            Don

            On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 4:16 AM, KNHBRIST1 <steve_03222@...> wrote:

            I agree, it will take some getting use to, but that happens with all change.
            I think the new site has a nice smooth feel to it....I like it :)
            Make sure to watch the clips about what is new at the website, found some items I did not immediately notice.

            Nick A

            "You know what I wish?  I wish that all the scum of the world had but a single throat, and I had my hands about it..."  Rorschach, 1975

            "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

            "Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them." Bill Vaughan

            "The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
          • Jaye Ellen Burke
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 2, 2011
              Hi ---

              I just reloaded WU to my desktop, and let me add my two cents:  IT SUCKS.  I too dislike change, and since there appears to be no going back, I will have to re-aquaint myself to the new layout.  I used to know where to find everything I wanted and now I need to do some searching to refind them.  Oh well, I best hop to it ...

              Jaye Ellen, KTNGALLA2

                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 2, 2011
                  Ron,

                  That doesn't show anything about the new format.  It's just old news that I see.  Maybe I'm not seeing it?

                  Don

                  On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 7:11 AM, ronw72 <1rondee@...> wrote:

                  Don,

                  Is this what you are looking for

                  http://www.wunderground.com/blog/WunderPress/show.html

                  Ron

                  > I checked it right before leaving for work this morning and it had a link to
                  > the new stuff. Now I can't find that. Anyone have a url?
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  > Don
                  >
                  > On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 4:16 AM, KNHBRIST1 <steve_03222@...> wrote:
                  >

                  > > I agree, it will take some getting use to, but that happens with all
                  > > change.
                  > > I think the new site has a nice smooth feel to it....I like it :)
                  > > Make sure to watch the clips about what is new at the website, found some
                  > > items I did not immediately notice.
                  > > Steve
                  > >

                  > --
                  > The day Microsoft starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they start making
                  > something that doesn't suck.

                • Don Lafferty

                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 2, 2011
                        Hi,

                        The big news for weather station owners is that you can now select your station on the city page, and we will deliver a forecast for your weather station location that is statistically modified to match your weather station history.. So if your station is accurate, you will have an accurate matching forecast (hopefully!)

                        Very cool, and another perk of contributing data to our network.

                        As always, I want to thank everyone for sending us data, and making all of this possible.

                        Alan @ wunderground

[...]

                        Alan Steremberg
                        Weather Underground
                        415-983-2603
                        http://www.wunderground.com
                      • Jaye Ellen Burke
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 2, 2011
                          Hi Alan,

                          I was cussing you out (or incorrectly, Heath) till I saw the little thing about "classic" (or something like that) --- I have mental disabilities that are not friendly to change.  Thank you for including it!

                          Jaye Ellen KTNGALLA2
                          On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 5:03 PM, Alan Steremberg <alans@...> wrote:

[...]

                        • Chris R. Holt
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 2, 2011
                            Hi Alan,

                            Congratulations on launching the new site - I, for one, think it looks great!

                            One minor nitpick - the dropdown menus end up *behind* my weather station sticker when I'm looking at my PWS history.

                            Otherwise, I love it, and I'm having fun checking out all the new stuff.

                            Best regards,

                            Chris Holt
                            KCASANJO65

                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 2, 2011
                              Hi group,

                              Sorry for the unintentional spam! That was meant to go to Alan

                              On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 4:19 PM, Chris R. Holt <crholt@...> wrote:
                              > Hi Alan,
                              >
                              > Congratulations on launching the new site - I, for one, think it looks
                              > great!
                            • Don Lafferty

                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 2, 2011
                                  It's another classic case of "It works fine so let's fix it!"

                                  Yuck
                                • John Liss

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Feb 2, 2011
                                      On 2/2/2011 3:03 PM, Alan Steremberg wrote: Hi,

                                      The big news for weather station owners is that you can now select your station on the city page, and we will deliver a forecast for your weather station location that is statistically modified to match your weather station history.. So if your station is accurate, you will have an accurate matching forecast (hopefully!)

                                      Very cool, and another perk of contributing data to our network.

                                      As always, I want to thank everyone for sending us data, and making all of this possible.

                                      Alan @ wunderground

                                      Hi Alan .. I like the new format .. It will take some getting used to, but I like the look.

                                      Thanks to you and everyone here on the list. I have learned alot just from reading all the posts. You all make this a great hobby!

                                      Mike
                                      --
                                      miked911@...
                                      Mike Derryberry

                                      Dispatcher II
                                      Kern County Sheriff's Department
                                      Bakersfield, CA

                                      Listen to my department:
                                      http://216.66.69.100:3074/listen.pls

                                      Listen to Kern County Scanning:
                                      http://216.66.69.100:3070/listen.pls

                                      Listen to Central California Fire Scanning
                                      http://216.66.69.100:3072/listen.pls
                                    • Barbara Rosen
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011

                                        Hi Alan,

                                        On this:

                                        ... and we will deliver a forecast for your weather station location that is statistically modified to match your weather station history.. So if your station is accurate, you will have an accurate matching forecast (hopefully!)

                                        That is very cool, but how is it done?  I have 2 weather stations KFLWIMAU2 and KFLWIMAU3 (at different frequencies) , and they are about 30 ft apart but have vastly different readings especially on humidity and abs pressure.   I am always comparing them to other stations in my area to assess the quality of the readings.   It seems that data should not be used unless they meet some kind of quality standard. Are some readings tossed out if they are statistically off?  Does wunderground do data correction similar to what the WUHU software does (which is a great feature!!!)?  Can you send me a link that explains the approach (not a bunch of equations though)?

                                        PS, I like the new format,  especially having sunrise, sunset at the top.

                                        In the future, it would be nice to see some sort of indicator on a weather station as to how it compares to its neighbors in readings.

                                        Barbara

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                                          We have a quality control that will flag stations that are particularly different than their neighbors. I will see what info we have about the forecast system.

                                          Alan

                                          ---------
                                          Alan Steremberg
                                          Weather Underground

                                          On Feb 3, 2011, at 7:36 AM, Barbara Rosen <gqsbrosen@...> wrote:

                                          Hi Alan,

                                          On this:

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                                            I had selected to go back to "classic" format, but now, I have more time to look around and play with it. Where/how can I change back to the new format?
                                            Thanks!
                                            Edith
                                          • KNHBRIST1
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                                              Edith,
                                              I just tried the classic and just closed the brower and opened it again the new WU came up.
                                              Steve

                                              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Edith" <Edith.Thornburg@...> wrote:

                                              > I had selected to go back to "classic" format, but now, I have more time to look around and play with it. Where/how can I change back to the new format?
                                              > Thanks!
                                              > Edith

                                            • Edith
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Feb 4, 2011
                                                Thanks - that didn't work for me, but I finally found a link at the top that says "New Website" and that worked :)
                                                I will have to go look around now!
                                                Edith