Re: error Win7 / Serial Port / Direct Connect - comm error inv/corrupt data from con

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2011
      The software automatically configures the port baud rate, data bits, stop bits, and also raises the RTS and lowers the DTR. These lines may "toggle" if the serial communications fail at some point (the console does not respond for example). The La Crosse console will not transmit unless it sees these in the proper state.

      The RTS and DTR lines are used to create a "virtual ground". As mentioned in other posts, the voltage levels used on the handshakes may be critical given La Crosse's virtual signal ground. The TX line out of the console is therefore relative to the midpoint between the RTS and DTR voltages. Is this a hack? Certainly. They are also probably using this scheme to draw parasitic power to drive there communications circuit in the console. Because they wanted to use cheap RJ plugs and the 4 conductor telephone cord, this limited their options. I also suspect that they are not using a real UART and are reading the state of and controlling the output of generic I/O lines on a PIC controller to further reduce costs.

      If the USB adapter does not actually have these handshake lines (RTS and DTR), it will not work. Many of the cheaper ones do not support the handshake lines. That is why I always recommend the IOGear because I know they do support these lines and the driver seems to be well written compared to others than often create the dreaded Windows Blue Screen of Death (BSOD).

      If you have a meter you can verify whether the RTS line is being correctly managed. You can run WUHU them stick a paper clip in the RTS of the DB9 and measure it against the PC case (or the signal ground pin of you want to get technical about it). You should see a voltage of either +12vdc or -12vdc (I think -12vdc is logic true or on). If you see something in the 5vdc range, that is probably the problem. If you are seeing zero volts, you know that the handshake hardware is either not supported or the driver is not really supporting the Windows API to control the lines.