From LaCrosse ws2350 to Davis VP2

  • alan.gorjan
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 21, 2011
      I am thinking to upgrade from my LaCrosse ws2350 station to Davis Vantage Pro2. Now I use WUHU in direct serial mode with ws2350 and everything is working OK.

      I have few questions:

      1) I will buy serial datalogger and with Serial2USB converter I will connect it to my PC. I need only change in general settings type of stations and that is it ?

      2) Will remain currdat.lst and history.dat (ws3600 type) file avaiable ?
      Now I use this two files with GraphWeather and I don't wont make any change.

      3) VP2 have retrieval interval 2.5 sek. Will WUHU have same interval because I don't wont to loose any data (wind speed) ?

      Thanks

      http://alanonline.eu/vreme.html
      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 21, 2011
        Yes to all of the below.

        If you get a USB to serial adapter, get a good one with a good driver, I recommend the IO Gear USB to serial adapter. It is one of the few out there that are decent.

        The retrieval interval is determine by polling the console as quickly as possible. There are a couple of items that are polled every 30 to 45 seconds that will increase the poll time slightly. One is to force a reevaluation of the pressure reading and the other is to obtain the 10 minute gust data value.

        Anyhow, your transition should go fine.

        Is it on order yet?

        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 21, 2011
          Thanks, for quick answer :)

          First I will try with Serial2USB adapter which is now working with WS2350 station. If I will have some problems I will buy that one.

          I will order station soon.
        • chris

            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 28, 2011
              Todey I got Davis VP2 EU version

              I have problem with reading from console:

              Fri Jan 28 17:58:09 2011 > Absolute air pressure reading of 1005.15 InHg detected. Value out of range (8.85 to 32.45).
              Fri Jan 28 17:58:09 2011 > Relative air pressure reading of 1018.22 InHg detected. Value out of range (8.85 to 32.45). To new users, have you set up your console's relative air pressure yet? See station user's manual.
              Fri Jan 28 17:58:09 2011 > One or more data items could not be automatically corrected, Ignoring ALL data on this update.

              Data from console are in hPa, but Wuhu wants InHg. What can I do ?
              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 28, 2011
                Alan,

                Are you running VP live with other weather applications?

                I had to re-write quite a bit of code when Davis released their new DLL that changed quite a bit, especially when it comes to unit conversion. I will look at the code to see if I can spot the problem.

                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 28, 2011
                  Alan,

                  I think that I have found and corrected the problem.

                  Please try this version:

                  Let me know if that works and I will release it.

                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 28, 2011
                    Thanks for quick replay

                    It is not working:

                    Fri Jan 28 19:44:55 2011 > Absolute air pressure reading of 0.88 InHg detected. Value out of range (8.85 to 32.45).
                    Fri Jan 28 19:44:55 2011 > Relative air pressure reading of 0.89 InHg detected. Value out of range (8.85 to 32.45). To new users, have you set up your console's relative air pressure yet? See station user's manual.
                    Fri Jan 28 19:44:55 2011 > One or more data items could not be automatically corrected, Ignoring ALL data on this update.

                    I have now 1018.8 hPa.

                    In previous version if I changed pressure units in inch, wuhu retrieve data, but all others data was wrong because of conversion in metric.
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jan 28, 2011

                      Alan,

                      Thanks for the feedback.

                      Based upon what you are seeing, I am going to say that there is a bug in the Davis DLL related to unit conversion.

                      The new DLL is supposed to read the console units and accept whatever units the user has selected at the console. It appears that everything is working except for the pressure, which always seems to be reported in InHg.

                      I have refreshed the B176 image to test this theory. Please re-download and install.

                      Thanks.

                      Message 10 of 26 , Jan 28, 2011
                        Now pressure it is working OK, but it is another problem.

                        When I click in wuhu window units in english it is showing metric units, if I click units in metric are wrong because are converted like it was in english.

                        Picture: http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/9084/20964399.jpg
                      • H. Smith
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jan 28, 2011

                          Alan,

                          Other than the indoor temperature, I cannot tell what is real and what is not.

                          You would need to show me what the actual values at the console are as well.

                          Do you know what I mean?

                          The outdoor temperature would be valid from where I am sitting, (29 F outside right now).

                          Message 12 of 26 , Jan 28, 2011
                            I have stations and sensors all in my room.

                            In picture are data in °C and wind in km/h but units selected in wuhu are english (upper left corner). If I select metric then are wrong. Pressure is ok.

                            Am I doing something wrong ?
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jan 28, 2011
                              Alan,

                              I do not think you are doing anything wrong, the DLL is obviously not working as expected. I am going to send an updated version that will completely ignore the unit conversions and just assume that the data returned from the DLL is using the following for all data returned:

                              Temperature FAHRENHEIT
                              Barometer INCHES
                              Rain INCHES
                              Wind MPH
                              Elevation FEET

                              Will have it ready in a minute for you to test.

                              Message 14 of 26 , Jan 28, 2011

                                Ok, try this:

                                As mentioned, I am not doing any unit conversion and will assume the DLL returns the data in the units mentioned below.

                                > Alan,
                                >
                                > I do not think you are doing anything wrong, the DLL is obviously not working as expected. I am going to send an updated version that will completely ignore the unit conversions and just assume that the data returned from the DLL is using the following for all data returned:
                                >

                                > Temperature FAHRENHEIT
                                > Barometer INCHES
                                > Rain INCHES
                                > Wind MPH
                                > Elevation FEET
                                >
                                > Will have it ready in a minute for you to test.
                                >

                                > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "alan.gorjan" alan.gorjan@ wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I have stations and sensors all in my room.
                                > >
                                > > In picture are data in °C and wind in km/h but units selected in wuhu are english (upper left corner). If I select metric then are wrong. Pressure is ok.
                                > >
                                > > Am I doing something wrong ?

                              • alan.gorjan
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jan 28, 2011
                                  Now it is displaying OK :)

                                  From log:

                                  Fri Jan 28 21:19:34 2011 > WUHU Application Started (1,0,216,176)
                                  Fri Jan 28 21:19:35 2011 > WUHU monitoring started (WUHU216DAVISVP2).
                                  Fri Jan 28 21:19:37 2011 > Opened serial port COM11 successfully.
                                  Fri Jan 28 21:21:39 2011 > The PC clock and console clock are set to within 45 seconds of one another (Measured Drift <= 39 seconds).
                                  Fri Jan 28 21:21:50 2011 > Current Absolute Pressure = 29.71, Relative Pressure = 30.10, Calculated Offset 0.39.
                                  Fri Jan 28 21:21:50 2011 > Current Rain Total at start of retrieval = 2.56 IN, 65.00 MM.
                                  Fri Jan 28 21:21:55 2011 > 17 new archive records were retrieved from console.
                                  Fri Jan 28 21:21:55 2011 > Outdoor temperature reading of 67.1 F detected when the average temperature is 19.6 F (over past 10 minutes). Replaced with average value that was calculated over the past 10 minutes.
                                  Fri Jan 28 21:21:55 2011 > Dew point temperature reading of 42.6 F detected when the average dew point temperature is -0.1 F (over past 10 minutes). Replaced with average value that was calculated over the past 10 minutes.
                                  Fri Jan 28 21:21:55 2011 > Rain Total reading of 2.56 Inches detected when the average rain Total is 0.10 Inches (over past 10 minutes). Replaced with average value that was calculated over the past 10 minutes.
                                  Fri Jan 28 21:21:55 2011 > To correct the rain total, under the Tweak screen, select 'Disable All Rainfall Reporting', click 'Save Settings' button. Wait for update from console on the main screen. Go back to Tweak screen, un-check 'Disable All Rainfall Reporting', click 'Save Settings' button.
                                  Fri Jan 28 21:21:55 2011 > Failure to resynchronize the WUHU history with the console rainfall total will result in inaccurate rainfall calculations.
                                  Fri Jan 28 21:21:55 2011 > Indoor temperature reading of 68.4 F detected when the average temperature is 20.3 F (over past 10 minutes). Replaced with average value that was calculated over the past 10 minutes.
                                  Fri Jan 28 21:21:55 2011 > Outdoor temperature reading of 66.9 F detected when the average temperature is 19.6 F (over past 10 minutes). Replaced with average value that was calculated over the past 10 minutes.
                                  Fri Jan 28 21:21:55 2011 > Dew point temperature reading of 42.4 F detected when the average dew point temperature is -0.5 F (over past 10 minutes). Replaced with average value that was calculated over the past 10 minutes.
                                  Fri Jan 28 21:21:55 2011 > Rain Total reading of 2.56 Inches detected when the average rain Total is 0.10 Inches (over past 10 minutes). Replaced with average value that was calculated over the past 10 minutes.
                                  Fri Jan 28 21:21:55 2011 > To correct the rain total, under the Tweak screen, select 'Disable All Rainfall Reporting', click 'Save Settings' button. Wait for update from console on the main screen. Go back to Tweak screen, un-check 'Disable All Rainfall Reporting', click 'Save Settings' button.
                                  Fri Jan 28 21:21:55 2011 > Failure to resynchronize the WUHU history with the console rainfall total will result in inaccurate rainfall calculations.
                                  Fri Jan 28 21:21:55 2011 > Indoor temperature reading of 68.3 F detected when the average temperature is 20.3 F (over past 10 minutes). Replaced with average value that was calculated over the past 10 minutes.
                                  Fri Jan 28 21:21:55 2011 > Outdoor temperature reading of 66.7 F detected when the average temperature is 19.6 F (over past 10 minutes). Replaced with average value that was calculated over the past 10 minutes.
                                  Fri Jan 28 21:21:55 2011 > Dew point temperature reading of 42.2 F detected when the average dew point temperature is -0.5 F (over past 10 minutes). Replaced with average value that was calculated over the past 10 minutes.
                                  Fri Jan 28 21:21:55 2011 > Rain Total reading of 2.56 Inches detected when the average rain Total is 0.10 Inches (over past 10 minutes). Replaced with average value that was calculated over the past 10 minutes.
                                  Fri Jan 28 21:21:55 2011 > To correct the rain total, under the Tweak screen, select 'Disable All Rainfall Reporting', click 'Save Settings' button. Wait for update from console on the main screen. Go back to Tweak screen, un-check 'Disable All Rainfall Reporting', click 'Save Settings' button.
                                  Fri Jan 28 21:21:55 2011 > Failure to resynchronize the WUHU history with the console rainfall total will result in inaccurate rainfall calculations.
                                  Fri Jan 28 21:21:55 2011 > Indoor temperature reading of 68.1 F detected when the average temperature is 20.3 F (over past 10 minutes). Replaced with average value that was calculated over the past 10 minutes.
                                  Fri Jan 28 21:21:55 2011 > Console history read completed succesfully. 3 records were collected. 3 records were stored. 0 records were uploaded to Weather Underground, 0 records were uploaded to PWSWeather, 0 records were uploaded to WeatherBug.
                                  Fri Jan 28 21:21:59 2011 > Console Battery Voltage: 4.86
                                  Fri Jan 28 21:21:59 2011 > All transmitter batteries are Ok.
                                  Fri Jan 28 21:21:59 2011 > All repeater batteries are Ok.
                                  Fri Jan 28 21:22:03 2011 > Transmitter ID #0 is of type "ISS_TX - An ISS station configured as an ISS.", No repeater
                                • H. Smith
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jan 28, 2011

                                    Very interesting.

                                    This suggests that the DLL documentation is wrong or that there is a major bug in the DLL.

                                    Thanks for testing.

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jan 28, 2011
                                      Thanks for your effort
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jan 28, 2011
                                        Anytime.

                                        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "alan.gorjan" <alan.gorjan@...> wrote:

                                        > Thanks for your effort

                                      • alan.gorjan
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Feb 5, 2011
                                          Another question :)

                                          At night I switch computer off. When I restart at morning Wuhu send old history data from datalogger to Wunderground. If I compare this data with data in wlk files (Davis) are not the same. Wind is much lower.

                                          Example from tonight (but it was not windy):

                                          WU: http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/5496/42373640.jpg

                                          From davis: http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/2246/59190373.jpg
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Feb 5, 2011
                                            That is a good question. The normal wind speed (not wind gust) appears to be reported lower in WL than what was uploaded.

                                            Are you running the latest version of WL and also the latest console firmware?

                                            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "alan.gorjan" <alan.gorjan@...> wrote:

                                            > Another question :)
                                            >
                                            > At night I switch computer off. When I restart at morning Wuhu send old history data from datalogger to Wunderground. If I compare this data with data in wlk files (Davis) are not the same. Wind is much lower.
                                            >
                                            > Example from tonight (but it was not windy):
                                            >
                                            > WU: http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/5496/42373640.jpg
                                            >
                                            > From davis: http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/2246/59190373.jpg

                                          • alan.gorjan
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Feb 5, 2011
                                              From WeatherLink Console Diagnostics:

                                              Console Diagnostics 05.02.11 13:55
                                              Firmware Version: 1.90
                                              Total Received: 19376
                                              Total Resynchs: 5
                                              Total Misses: 166
                                              Max in a Row: 1118
                                              CRC Errors: 11
                                              % Good: 99%
                                              Console Battery: 4.85 V

                                              WeatherLink is 5.9.2

                                              From Wednesday we will have more wind, I will test then again.
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Feb 5, 2011
                                                I do believe those are the latest versions.

                                                Let me know what you find.

                                                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "alan.gorjan" <alan.gorjan@...> wrote:

                                                > From WeatherLink Console Diagnostics:
                                                >
                                                > Console Diagnostics 05.02.11 13:55
                                                > Firmware Version: 1.90
                                                > Total Received: 19376
                                                > Total Resynchs: 5
                                                > Total Misses: 166
                                                > Max in a Row: 1118
                                                > CRC Errors: 11
                                                > % Good: 99%
                                                > Console Battery: 4.85 V
                                                >
                                                > WeatherLink is 5.9.2
                                                >
                                                > From Wednesday we will have more wind, I will test then again.

                                              • alan.gorjan
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Feb 10, 2011
                                                  Here are today's morning data. I only run Wuhu at morning for send data to WU, then it was closed.

                                                  Data from datalogger (WeatherLink): http://alanonline.eu/downld02.txt
                                                  Data from WU: http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IPRIMORS14&month=2&day=10&year=2011
                                                  Raw data from WU: http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IPRIMORS14&month=2&day=10&year=2011&format=1

                                                  Max wind was 11,3km/h at 3:10, WU is reporting max 8km/h at 3:15.
                                                  It is strange.

                                                  Sorry for my English.

                                                  Alan

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Feb 10, 2011
                                                    On the main WUHU display, what is the peak wind gust since Midnight? Enter an M for the end hours, hit the show button for an immediate update of the stats.

                                                    --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "alan.gorjan" <alan.gorjan@...> wrote:

                                                    > Here are today's morning data. I only run Wuhu at morning for send data to WU, then it was closed.
                                                    >
                                                    > Data from datalogger (WeatherLink): http://alanonline.eu/downld02.txt
                                                    > Data from WU: http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IPRIMORS14&month=2&day=10&year=2011
                                                    > Raw data from WU: http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IPRIMORS14&month=2&day=10&year=2011&format=1
                                                    >
                                                    > Max wind was 11,3km/h at 3:10, WU is reporting max 8km/h at 3:15.
                                                    > It is strange.
                                                    >
                                                    > Sorry for my English.
                                                    >
                                                    > Alan

                                                    > > I do believe those are the latest versions.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Let me know what you find.

                                                  • alan.gorjan
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Feb 11, 2011
                                                      > On the main WUHU display, what is the peak wind gust since Midnight? Enter an M for the end hours, hit the show button for an immediate update of the stats.

                                                      Data in Wuhu display are correct with same amount and time like it was in datalogger (WeatherLink).
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Feb 11, 2011
                                                        Are you using rapid-fire? When using rapid-fire, not every piece of data that is sent is stored, only one record every few minutes is stored. The gust speed should remain for 10 minutes and should have been seen.

                                                        What is your WU ID? I also would need a specific date to check for a specific gust speed.