Re: La Crosse WS-2310 8-second wired reporting problem

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 20, 2005
      Steve,

      I was wondering if you had experimented with creating the low-pass
      filters you mentioned?

      Thanks.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "stevech" <stevech@s...>
      wrote:
      > Try these: if the PC and the weather station display unit are some
      distance
      > apart in the home, it could be that they are plugged into different
      phases
      > of your AC mains. If so, this can create a ground loop. To test this
      > hypothesis, run the base unit on battery for a while (unplug the
      wall wart).
      > If this cures the problem, you can change plugging arrangement to
      get them
      > on the same phase.
      >
      > Hypothesis: noise and interference ingress to the phone-cable.
      Radio shack
      > et al have a phone junction box- it accepts an RJ11 phone connector
      and ties
      > that to four screw terminals. To these terminals, you can connect
      four of
      > the wires of a shielded cable you purchase - a bit hard to find. Do
      this for
      > both ends. Twisted pair cable is irrelevant but won't hurt; you need
      > shielded.
      >
      > Lastly, you can try putting various capacitors (.01 uF is a good
      starting
      > guess) across the wires, perhaps via the phone junction terminal
      scheme
      > discussed above. The capacitor can connect across the signal lines
      and/or
      > from one or more to ground. This will be a low pass filter to
      attenuate high
      > freq. Signals - radio station nearby, cell phone, noisy PC monitor,
      etc.
      > This is a lot of trial and error unless someone else has done it.
      I'd think
      > that the manufacturer would have a cure as it may be common - e.g.,
      people
      > near radio station transmitters, noisy high voltage power lines,
      etc.

      > And finally - if LaCrosse returns my WS3610 with a cure for the
      whimpy dim
      > LCD, and I keep it, I can look into the cure myself.
      >
      > Regards
      > Steve

      Frerkes
      > Sent: Saturday, July 09, 2005 12:08 AM
      > To: wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [wuhu_software_group] Re: La Crosse WS-2310 8-second wired
      > reporting problem
      >
      > I had the exact reverse scenario happen once. The unit would
      update
      > every few seconds when it was NOT CABLED. This lasted for a short
      > period of time then it resumed normal operation.
      >
      > I've had tremendous difficulty with the cabled connection, due
      > largely to the interference issue that produces wacked-out wind
      > readings. My PC causes some of the interference; I can run it
      > cabled so long as it's not connected to the computer. Likewise, I
      > can run the PC connected to the unit, provided I'm only using the
      > wireless transfer option.
      >
      > My guess is your hygro/thermo unit is getting some kind of
      > interference through the cable that makes it THINK it's in wireless
      > mode. Aside from replacing all the cheap LaCrosse cable with
      > quality twisted-pair wire...there may be nothing you can do to
      > remedy the problem.
      >
      > Good luck!
      >

      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "bucklava03"
      > <brianmulcahy@c...> wrote:
      > > My La Crosse WS-2310 won't report every 8 seconds with a cable
      > > connection. It stays at 128 seconds, which is the wireless rate.
      > > tried removing the batteries, unplugging everything and rebooting
      > the
      > > PC, which did make it work at 8 second intervals for a short
      time.
      > > Then it went back to 128 seconds. Has anyone had this problem or
      > heard
      > > of this?
      > >
      > > Thanks, Brian
      > > KMASTERL3
      > > CW4065
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links
    • stevech
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 20, 2005

        No, my WS3610 is just temporarily installed outside, running wireless mode. I have had a couple of instances of corrupt data apparently due to noise.

        I wish LaCrosse would get some competent design engineers.

        wrote:
        > Try these: if the PC and the weather station display unit are some
        distance
        > apart in the home, it could be that they are plugged into different
        phases
        > of your AC mains. If so, this can create a ground loop. To test this
        > hypothesis, run the base unit on battery for a while (unplug the
        wall wart).
        > If this cures the problem, you can change plugging arrangement to
        get them
        > on the same phase.
        >
        > Hypothesis: noise and interference ingress to the phone-cable.
        Radio shack
        > et al have a phone junction box- it accepts an RJ11 phone connector
        and ties
        > that to four screw terminals. To these terminals, you can connect
        four of
        > the wires of a shielded cable you purchase - a bit hard to find. Do
        this for
        > both ends. Twisted pair cable is irrelevant but won't hurt; you need
        > shielded.
        >
        > Lastly, you can try putting various capacitors (.01 uF is a good
        starting
        > guess) across the wires, perhaps via the phone junction terminal
        scheme
        > discussed above. The capacitor can connect across the signal lines
        and/or
        > from one or more to ground. This will be a low pass filter to
        attenuate high
        > freq. Signals - radio station nearby, cell phone, noisy PC monitor,
        etc.
        > This is a lot of trial and error unless someone else has done it.
        I'd think
        > that the manufacturer would have a cure as it may be common - e.g.,
        people
        > near radio station transmitters, noisy high voltage power lines,
        etc.

        > And finally - if LaCrosse returns my WS3610 with a cure for the
        whimpy dim
        > LCD, and I keep it, I can look into the cure myself.
        >
        > Regards
        > Steve

      • Ed
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 21, 2005
          My 2310 has been prone to faults and corruption due to external
          sources of noise. During a storm (go figure) lightening will cause
          enough static to cause my unit to go into "---" mode. Plus radio
          interference will also cause it to go south. I've had it replaced once
          already. I run mine in wired mode with no batteries in the outdoor
          sensor so when it dies, all I need to do is reset (pressure+wind) the
          indoor unit to get it started again. I am considering rewiring or
          adding a choke on mine. I too wish I had know that this unit was
          flawed. I would have spent the extra $$ for a more reliable one. guess
          that's the difference between a $200 WS and a $400 one .. cheers.
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 21, 2005
            I was hoping to try the clip on ferrites although I have no idea how to
            properly select the appropriate one.

            Any ideas short of replacing the cables?

            Thanks.

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 21, 2005

              I think ferrites won’t suppress the noise at or near the intended signal frequency. They are intended for much higher freq noise.