B138, WS-23XX Clock Sync

    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 2, 2010
      All,

      I have added a console clock sync. option for the WS-23XX consoles. Beware that the first time you run the program, more than likely the internal clock of the console is incorrect even though the console is displaying the correct local time. This is due to issues related to the daylight saving time rules. Please read the below carefully and understand that if you use this new option, your console's on screen display time will be incorrect at certain times of the year. If you do not find that acceptable, please do not use this new option.

      ---

      91) Added option to synchronize the Davis consoles with the PC clock time. This feature is enabled via the INI file setting:

      [General Settings]

      …

      WS23XX Sync Console Clock=1

      Note: Remember to exit WUHU then edit the INI file with Notepad.

      ---

      There is an important caveat when using the clock sync option with the WS-23XX units. Due to the change in the rules of daylight saving time, when the console time is set, the time is in the form of Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) and not local time. Local time is displayed on the console using the daylight saving rules that were in place when the console was manufactured.

      Start and end dates vary with location and year. Since 1996 European Summer Time has been observed from the last Sunday in March to the last Sunday in October; previously the rules were not uniform across the European Union.[28] Starting in 2007, most of the United States and Canada observe DST from the second Sunday in March to the first Sunday in November, almost two-thirds of the year.[31] The 2007 U.S. change was part of the Energy Policy Act of 2005; previously, from 1987 through 2006, the start and end dates were the first Sunday in April and the last Sunday in October, and Congress retains the right to go back to the previous dates now that an energy-consumption study has been done.[32]

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

      Given that the WS-23XX console firmware (aka hard-coded software) was created using the old daylight time saving rules, even though the correct time in UTC is set, what you see on the display may different from your PC time depending on time of year. These periods where the time may differ is basically the gaps of time between the old rules and the new rules. Eventually, the PC clock will change automatically when daylight saving time starts and ends so the clocks will match up at some point in time. The thing to remember is that even though the console display may be an hour off, it's internal time keeping is in terms of UTC that will be correct.

      For more information about UTC time, see:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time

      ---

      Software Download:

      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 3, 2010
        Please do not use this new option until I can remedy a problem.

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 3, 2010

          All,

          In regard to the new WS-23XX time sync option...

          Today I discovered an issue where the history might not be read correctly even though the consoles UTC time was set correctly. This is due to the fact that the WS-23XX consoles store the history time stamp in local time (stupid concept) and that is based on the consoles old day light saving rules.

          To remedy, the consoles local time is compared to the PC local time and the history record time stamp is adjusted accordingly. This adjustment is needed where there are gaps between the old rules (pre-2007) and the new rules. We happen to be in one of those gaps until the first Sunday of this month. I have verified that the PC will match the console after this coming Sunday when we "fall back".

          On a side note, the changing of the day light saving rules is extremely expensive and fraught with potential problems especially for embedded systems that can not, or are not, able to update their firmware to accommodate for rule changes. This is why we should never allow politicians  to make technical decisions!! Leave the darn rules alone from now to the end of time I say!!

          I have refreshed the B138 to B139.

          If you want to use the new WS23XX clock sync, please update to this new refresh.

        • Jaye Ellen

            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 3, 2010
              Granted Bush and his advisors were morons for allowing in to pass tucked away in an energy bill, but you can thank the morons in Congress for allowing it to sneak in the energy bill in the first place.

              These changes can wreak havoc for years on critical systems and the evidence for tweaking the rules is the poster child for bad science and the power of statisticians to convince techno-dunce politicians of just about anything the authors wants them to believe in.

              "If you can't convince them, confuse them." - Harry Truman

              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Jaye Ellen <jaye.ellen@...> wrote:

              > Hi ---
              > Indeed messing with DST and all was just one more example of the junior
              > Bush's lack of foresight and intelligence. Can't anyone go in and repeal
              > the changes to time? It was SO much better before it got screwed with.
              >
              > Jaye Ellen
              >
              > On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 9:57 AM, wuhu_software <wuhu_software@...>wrote:
              >

              > > All,
              > >
              > > In regard to the new WS-23XX time sync option...
              > >
              > > Today I discovered an issue where the history might not be read correctly
              > > even though the consoles UTC time was set correctly. This is due to the fact
              > > that the WS-23XX consoles store the history time stamp in local time (stupid
              > > concept) and that is based on the consoles old day light saving rules.
              > >
              > > To remedy, the consoles local time is compared to the PC local time and the
              > > history record time stamp is adjusted accordingly. This adjustment is needed
              > > where there are gaps between the old rules (pre-2007) and the new rules. We
              > > happen to be in one of those gaps until the first Sunday of this month. I
              > > have verified that the PC will match the console after this coming Sunday
              > > when we "fall back".
              > >
              > > On a side note, the changing of the day light saving rules is extremely
              > > expensive and fraught with potential problems especially for embedded
              > > systems that can not, or are not, able to update their firmware
              > > to accommodate for rule changes. This is why we should never allow
              > > politicians to make technical decisions!! Leave the darn rules alone from
              > > now to the end of time I say!!
              > >
              > > I have refreshed the B138 to B139.
              > >
              > > If you want to use the new WS23XX clock sync, please update to this new
              > > refresh.
              > >
              > > WUHU216_32.zip<http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/files/WUHU216_32.zip>

            • Jaye Ellen
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 3, 2010
                That Truman quote sounds like G. Bush's Mantra ... trying to keep the country off-balance while he funnelled billions of dollars into his war.
                Just My Opinion ...

                Jaye Ellen
                On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 10:21 AM, wuhu_software <wuhu_software@...> wrote:

                Granted Bush and his advisors were morons for allowing in to pass tucked away in an energy bill, but you can thank the morons in Congress for allowing it to sneak in the energy bill in the first place.

                These changes can wreak havoc for years on critical systems and the evidence for tweaking the rules is the poster child for bad science and the power of statisticians to convince techno-dunce politicians of just about anything the authors wants them to believe in.

                "If you can't convince them, confuse them." - Harry Truman

                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Jaye Ellen <jaye.ellen@...> wrote:

                > Hi ---
                > Indeed messing with DST and all was just one more example of the junior
                > Bush's lack of foresight and intelligence. Can't anyone go in and repeal
                > the changes to time? It was SO much better before it got screwed with.
                >
                > Jaye Ellen
                >
                > On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 9:57 AM, wuhu_software <wuhu_software@...>wrote:

                > > All,
                > >
                > > In regard to the new WS-23XX time sync option...
                > >
                > > Today I discovered an issue where the history might not be read correctly
                > > even though the consoles UTC time was set correctly. This is due to the fact
                > > that the WS-23XX consoles store the history time stamp in local time (stupid
                > > concept) and that is based on the consoles old day light saving rules.
                > >
                > > To remedy, the consoles local time is compared to the PC local time and the
                > > history record time stamp is adjusted accordingly. This adjustment is needed
                > > where there are gaps between the old rules (pre-2007) and the new rules. We
                > > happen to be in one of those gaps until the first Sunday of this month. I
                > > have verified that the PC will match the console after this coming Sunday
                > > when we "fall back".
                > >
                > > On a side note, the changing of the day light saving rules is extremely
                > > expensive and fraught with potential problems especially for embedded
                > > systems that can not, or are not, able to update their firmware
                > > to accommodate for rule changes. This is why we should never allow
                > > politicians to make technical decisions!! Leave the darn rules alone from
                > > now to the end of time I say!!
                > >
                > > I have refreshed the B138 to B139.
                > >
                > > If you want to use the new WS23XX clock sync, please update to this new
                > > refresh.
                > >
                > > WUHU216_32.zip<http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/files/WUHU216_32.zip>

              • Ken Haugland
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 3, 2010
                  Yeah, and I had finally updated my alarm clock to one that would automatically set itself for Daylight Savings time.  Now it's wrong 4 times a year instead of just 2 times like my old "dumb" clock!

                  Ken

                  On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 8:47 AM, Jaye Ellen <jaye.ellen@...> wrote:

                  That Truman quote sounds like G. Bush's Mantra ... trying to keep the country off-balance while he funnelled billions of dollars into his war.
                  Just My Opinion ...

                  Jaye Ellen
                  On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 10:21 AM, wuhu_software <wuhu_software@...> wrote:

                  Granted Bush and his advisors were morons for allowing in to pass tucked away in an energy bill, but you can thank the morons in Congress for allowing it to sneak in the energy bill in the first place.

                  These changes can wreak havoc for years on critical systems and the evidence for tweaking the rules is the poster child for bad science and the power of statisticians to convince techno-dunce politicians of just about anything the authors wants them to believe in.

                  "If you can't convince them, confuse them." - Harry Truman

                  --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Jaye Ellen <jaye.ellen@...> wrote:

                  > Hi ---
                  > Indeed messing with DST and all was just one more example of the junior
                  > Bush's lack of foresight and intelligence. Can't anyone go in and repeal
                  > the changes to time? It was SO much better before it got screwed with.
                  >
                  > Jaye Ellen
                  >
                  > On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 9:57 AM, wuhu_software <wuhu_software@...>wrote:

                  > > All,
                  > >
                  > > In regard to the new WS-23XX time sync option...
                  > >
                  > > Today I discovered an issue where the history might not be read correctly
                  > > even though the consoles UTC time was set correctly. This is due to the fact
                  > > that the WS-23XX consoles store the history time stamp in local time (stupid
                  > > concept) and that is based on the consoles old day light saving rules.
                  > >
                  > > To remedy, the consoles local time is compared to the PC local time and the
                  > > history record time stamp is adjusted accordingly. This adjustment is needed
                  > > where there are gaps between the old rules (pre-2007) and the new rules. We
                  > > happen to be in one of those gaps until the first Sunday of this month. I
                  > > have verified that the PC will match the console after this coming Sunday
                  > > when we "fall back".
                  > >
                  > > On a side note, the changing of the day light saving rules is extremely
                  > > expensive and fraught with potential problems especially for embedded
                  > > systems that can not, or are not, able to update their firmware
                  > > to accommodate for rule changes. This is why we should never allow
                  > > politicians to make technical decisions!! Leave the darn rules alone from
                  > > now to the end of time I say!!
                  > >
                  > > I have refreshed the B138 to B139.
                  > >
                  > > If you want to use the new WS23XX clock sync, please update to this new
                  > > refresh.
                  > >
                  > > WUHU216_32.zip<http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/files/WUHU216_32.zip>

                • Rick
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 3, 2010
                    Please Tell us how much better things are under the current Administration.

                    This isn't a political list and I for one would like it to stay that way.

                    Many times Bills pass with stuff in them that the greater good requires a signature but that the sitting president of EITHER party doesn't agree with. Until we get a line item veto in the United States Gov't lets not be so hasty to blame the signer and Blame the person(s) who added it to the bill it went through on to begin with.

                    Short memories seem to forget that Bushes last Four years were dominated by the opposite party being in charge in Congress.

                    Lets get back to talking about weather..its much more interesting than politics anyway

                    Rick
                    KOHWAPAK1

                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 3, 2010
                      Rick,

                      I agree to not start a partisan discussion. I am an equal opportunity hater when it comes to politicians.

                      My own point to the earlier discussion is that politicians of either party should truly understand the ramifications of technical decisions before they allow such things to be passed.

                      > Please Tell us how much better things are under the current Administration.
                      >
                      > This isn't a political list and I for one would like it to stay that way.
                      >
                      > Many times Bills pass with stuff in them that the greater good requires a signature but that the sitting president of EITHER party doesn't agree with. Until we get a line item veto in the United States Gov't lets not be so hasty to blame the signer and Blame the person(s) who added it to the bill it went through on to begin with.
                      >
                      > Short memories seem to forget that Bushes last Four years were dominated by the opposite party being in charge in Congress.
                      >
                      > Lets get back to talking about weather..its much more interesting than politics anyway
                      >
                      > Rick
                      > KOHWAPAK1
                      >

                      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Jaye Ellen <jaye.ellen@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > That Truman quote sounds like G. Bush's Mantra ... trying to keep the
                      > > country off-balance while he funnelled billions of dollars into his war.
                      > > Just My Opinion ...
                      > >
                      > > Jaye Ellen
                      > > On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 10:21 AM, wuhu_software <wuhu_software@>wrote:
                      > >

                      > > > Granted Bush and his advisors were morons for allowing in to pass tucked
                      > > > away in an energy bill, but you can thank the morons in Congress for
                      > > > allowing it to sneak in the energy bill in the first place.
                      > > >
                      > > > These changes can wreak havoc for years on critical systems and the
                      > > > evidence for tweaking the rules is the poster child for bad science and the
                      > > > power of statisticians to convince techno-dunce politicians of just about
                      > > > anything the authors wants them to believe in.
                      > > >
                      > > > "If you can't convince them, confuse them." - Harry Truman
                      > > >
                      > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com<wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com>,

                      > > > correctly
                      > > > fact
                      > > > (stupid

                      > > > the
                      > > > needed
                      > > > rules. We
                      > > > Sunday

                      > > > from

                      > > > http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/files/WUHU216_32.zip>

                    • D Doty
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 3, 2010
                        I agree-- no more politics-- enough of that everywhere else!

                        Please Tell us how much better things are under the current Administration.

                        This isn't a political list and I for one would like it to stay that way.

                        Many times Bills pass with stuff in them that the greater good requires a signature but that the sitting president of EITHER party doesn't agree with. Until we get a line item veto in the United States Gov't lets not be so hasty to blame the signer and Blame the person(s) who added it to the bill it went through on to begin with.

                        Short memories seem to forget that Bushes last Four years were dominated by the opposite party being in charge in Congress.

                        Lets get back to talking about weather..its much more interesting than politics anyway

                        Rick
                        KOHWAPAK1

                        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Jaye Ellen <jaye.ellen@...> wrote:

                        > That Truman quote sounds like G. Bush's Mantra ... trying to keep the
                        > country off-balance while he funnelled billions of dollars into his war.
                        > Just My Opinion ...
                        >
                        > Jaye Ellen
                        > On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 10:21 AM, wuhu_software <wuhu_software@...>wrote:
                        >

                        > > Granted Bush and his advisors were morons for allowing in to pass tucked
                        > > away in an energy bill, but you can thank the morons in Congress for
                        > > allowing it to sneak in the energy bill in the first place.
                        > >
                        > > These changes can wreak havoc for years on critical systems and the
                        > > evidence for tweaking the rules is the poster child for bad science and the
                        > > power of statisticians to convince techno-dunce politicians of just about
                        > > anything the authors wants them to believe in.
                        > >
                        > > "If you can't convince them, confuse them." - Harry Truman
                        > >
                        > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com<wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com>,
                        > > Jaye Ellen <jaye.ellen@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Hi ---
                        > > > Indeed messing with DST and all was just one more example of the junior
                        > > > Bush's lack of foresight and intelligence. Can't anyone go in and repeal
                        > > > the changes to time? It was SO much better before it got screwed with.
                        > > >
                        > > > Jaye Ellen

                        > > correctly
                        > > fact
                        > > (stupid

                        > > the
                        > > needed
                        > > rules. We
                        > > Sunday

                        > > from

                        > > http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/files/WUHU216_32.zip>

                      • Ken
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 3, 2010
                          My history file has never seemed to be read. At start up it churns away and then reports 0 records read. I've never worried about it but always wondered why it took so long to read 0 records. The history is also unviewable. It tells me I need a different HW. I am using the beta.
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 3, 2010
                            Ken,

                            Have you considered not running HW and to run WUHU in direct serial mode?

                            I am guessing that you have a WS-23XX?

                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 3, 2010
                              I am running in direct serial mode. The message about not working with the file is generated inside WUHU.
                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 3, 2010
                                Ah, did you see a message about the clocks being too far out of sync as well?

                                Do you know what your recording interval is set to?

                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 3, 2010
                                  I get WWVB so I didn't bother with the feature. I had put the history file in the WUHU folder because HW isn't active. I switched the history to the HW file and it read it. The report of not reading is associated with the history button at the bottom of the window.

                                  Wed Nov 03 13:30:51 2010 > Console history started. Records in Memory:175, Index of Newest Record:2, History Interval in Mins:60, Abs->Rel Pressure offset=0.46, Rain Reference Total (MM):38.8500, Rain Reference Count:75.
                                  Wed Nov 03 13:30:54 2010 > Console history read completed [SIC] succesfully. 0 records were collected. 0 records were stored. 0 records were uploaded to Weather Underground, 0 records were uploaded to PWSWeather, 0 records were uploaded to WeatherBug.
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 3, 2010
                                    Ken,

                                    Since your interval is 60 mins, you would need to be shut down for at least an hour before any data is collected by the console that WUHU has not seen.

                                    I would probably reduce that to say a 1 or 5 minute interval if your power outages are rare. This will create many more samples that could be read by WUHU.