Re: B137, Davis clock sync option.

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 2, 2010
      Mike,

      If you exit and re-launch WUHU again, it will measure the difference rather than adjust the clock. It will show "Measured Drift" in the log.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "mikedw5071" <mike.christianson@...> wrote:

      > Not that I've noticed any drift... it worked for me, according to the log.
      >
      > Mon Nov 01 20:14:42 2010 > The console's clock and the PC's clock time are off by 42 seconds. Adjusting console clock to match the PC clock. Waiting until the next minute to set clock. Please wait.
      > Mon Nov 01 20:15:00 2010 > The console's clock was set succesfully. Continuing.

    • mikedw5071
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 2, 2010
        I restarted once and got this.
        Tue Nov 02 11:17:37 2010 > The console's clock and the PC's clock time are off by 37 seconds.

        Then a third and finally got this.
        Tue Nov 02 13:54:09 2010 > The PC clock and console clock are set to within 10 seconds of one another (Measured Drift <= 9 seconds).

        Well, it's a nice feature at any rate. :)
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 2, 2010
          That is interesting. Is this a Vue? Is there anything unusual about the machine that is running WUHU? Fast? Slow?

          I am seeing <= 2 to 3 seconds at most with a VP2.

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 2, 2010
            Yes, it is a Vue. The machine is a Dell Inspiron 1012 (Intel N450 (1.66GHz), 2GB RAM) running Windows 7 Starter.

            Here's another log entry:
            Tue Nov 02 16:19:10 2010 > The PC clock and console clock are set to within 10 seconds of one another (Measured Drift <= 10 seconds).
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 3, 2010
              Are you seeing these after a reboot of the machine or are you starting and stopping WUHU?

              If the machine is busy at startup and WUHU attempts history reads immediately, this could throw things off. That was the intent for creating the retrieval delay in the INI file so that Windows is not busy when you start the read.

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 3, 2010
                The first one was after a reboot (Windows Update) but I don't recall if I allowed the pause for Computer Startup or not.

                The subsequent restarts were just WUHU restarts. Here's another WUHU restart:
                Wed Nov 03 09:34:39 2010 > The console's clock and the PC's clock time are off by 39 seconds. Adjusting console clock to match the PC clock. Waiting until the next minute to set clock. Please wait.
                Wed Nov 03 09:35:00 2010 > The console's clock was set succesfully. Continuing.

                By the way, it takes just over a minute for the WUHU process to terminate when I close the window. Any idea if that's normal?
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 3, 2010
                  Are you talking about a normal termination after the program is up and running or are you talking about aborting the history read? On normal exit, it takes about 5-10 seconds depending on the speed of the machine as weather records and the log are written to the hard drive on shut down.

                  I have recently allowed WUHU to run on multiple processors. I tried this a few weeks ago and received a report of a lock up. If you think this may be related to multiple cores, please set the processor affinity by right clicking WUHU in the task manager process list and set it to a single processor.

                  Please let me know what you observe.

                  Thanks.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 3, 2010
                    Yes, I was referring to normal termination of WUHU.exe. Sorry to mix that issue in with the other stuff without being clear.

                    Using Process Explorer, I think I was able to rule out a multiprocessor issue and determine the actual issue. Surprisingly, it showed CPU usage by WUHU.exe was very low during shutdown but that I/O activity was high and prolonged. It must be due to my running WUHU on an SD card rather than the system's hard drive. (The netbook has a mechanical hard drive; I'm using the SD card as poor man's SSD.)

                    I may still experiment with the processor affinity, but I'm satisfied with my finding.

                    So, as to the clock drift/correction, here's some interesting stuff for you. Both of these startups were preceded by a shutdown of WUHU.exe but not the machine. I did not allow WUHU to wait for the computer to start up since it was already on and I was impatient. :)

                    Wed Nov 03 09:34:39 2010 > The console's clock and the PC's clock time are off by 39 seconds. Adjusting console clock to match the PC clock. Waiting until the next minute to set clock. Please wait.
                    Wed Nov 03 12:02:53 2010 > The console's clock and the PC's clock time are off by 53 seconds. Adjusting console clock to match the PC clock. Waiting until the next minute to set clock. Please wait.
                    Wed Nov 03 12:09:10 2010 > The PC clock and console clock are set to within 10 seconds of one another (Measured Drift <= 10 seconds).
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 3, 2010
                      That is very interesting. I am not sure why the measured drift is so high.

                      One thing you might observe that may be of interest. When you first start WUHU, the progress bar is advancing each time the consoles clock is polled. I my system it is polling about once per second until the initial console minute tick is detected. The set operation takes place immediately, but the progress bar ticks quickly (every 100ms) until the PC minute timer rolls over. Then the set clock is issued which should be pretty darn quick. You might observe the log while all the above is going on.