Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Computer/Console Time Sync

  • Don
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 2, 2010
      I've used various apps to set the time automatically.  Here's a free one that will run in your tray and automatically connect to a time server like NIST and set your time daily.  There are many like this one.  I've use Atom Time in the past but it's no longer free.  This one is as are many others.

      http://download.cnet.com/Atomic-Clock-Sync/3000-18512_4-14844.html

      Don

      On 11/2/2010 5:29 AM, Ken wrote:

      Actually, the Navel Clock is A and not THE clock. You can select the online site to draw from and the Navy is just one. WWV transmission come from Fort Collins, CO which is a ways from the ocean and part of the (NIST) National Institute of Standards and Technology. WWVB is also there. There is a WWVH that's a low band site that should be available world wide at least when propagation cooperates. I imagine that is Navy.

      One of the software items I recommended a while back is T-Clock and that has more features than the standard clock. It can do things like on a day of the week and a selected time run an application. If WUHU is willing to supply a separate little applet that would set the clock, you could have a batch file that takes down WUHU, runs the sync, and reload WUHU. That let it be a caveat emptor operation for those who can't get WWVB and avoid a possibly troublesome feature in the main application.

      Ken - KB9EU

    • Vince Harzewski
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 2, 2010
        WWVH operates on the same frequencies as WWV, except it's located in Hawaii.
        There once was a station on 20KHz (WWVL, but it was discontinued in 1972.)
        WWVB operates on 60 KHz, not quite as low a frequency as WWVB had. WWV,
        WWVH, and WWVB are all operated by NIST.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWV_%28radio_station%29
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWVB

        Vince

        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 2, 2010

          NIST also has a free application available at http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/its.cfm

          The source code if available as well.

          Vince

          vh2@...

          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 2, 2010
            Ken,

            Are we talking about setting the clock on the console or the PC? If the PC, you can run any clock sync application that affects the PC clock and WUHU will use that updated time.

            > Actually, the Navel Clock is A and not THE clock. You can select the online site to draw from and the Navy is just one. WWV transmission come from Fort Collins, CO which is a ways from the ocean and part of the (NIST) National Institute of Standards and Technology. WWVB is also there. There is a WWVH that's a low band site that should be available world wide at least when propagation cooperates. I imagine that is Navy.
            >
            > One of the software items I recommended a while back is T-Clock and that has more features than the standard clock. It can do things like on a day of the week and a selected time run an application. If WUHU is willing to supply a separate little applet that would set the clock, you could have a batch file that takes down WUHU, runs the sync, and reload WUHU. That let it be a caveat emptor operation for those who can't get WWVB and avoid a possibly troublesome feature in the main application.
            >
            > Ken - KB9EU

          • Jaye Ellen
            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 2, 2010
              There was a time in my long-ago military times when one of my jobs was to cart around a portable Cesium Beam clock,flown out from the US Naval Observatory in DC.  I was working at the SatComm terminal in Sunnyvale CA.  This clock was used to set the other six cesium beam clocks, 2 per terminal.  Some job to make sure the Atomic Clocks are correctly set, eh?  The years were 1983-84 when Sunnyvale was the controlling station for the then-new DSCS III satellite.  Well, enough reminiscing ...

              Jaye Ellen

              On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 9:06 AM, wuhu_software <wuhu_software@...> wrote:

              Ken,

              Are we talking about setting the clock on the console or the PC? If the PC, you can run any clock sync application that affects the PC clock and WUHU will use that updated time.

              > Actually, the Navel Clock is A and not THE clock. You can select the online site to draw from and the Navy is just one. WWV transmission come from Fort Collins, CO which is a ways from the ocean and part of the (NIST) National Institute of Standards and Technology. WWVB is also there. There is a WWVH that's a low band site that should be available world wide at least when propagation cooperates. I imagine that is Navy.
              >
              > One of the software items I recommended a while back is T-Clock and that has more features than the standard clock. It can do things like on a day of the week and a selected time run an application. If WUHU is willing to supply a separate little applet that would set the clock, you could have a batch file that takes down WUHU, runs the sync, and reload WUHU. That let it be a caveat emptor operation for those who can't get WWVB and avoid a possibly troublesome feature in the main application.
              >
              > Ken - KB9EU

            • Ken
              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 2, 2010
                I am talking about a separate applet to set the 23xx clock. The idea being that it avoids including it in the main app where it could cause difficulty. The applet would have the warnings yelled out in the docs.

                I suggest T-clock as a way for those who wish to update to do it automatically. Manual runs would certainly take care of most users needs -- just a thought for those in the belt and suspenders crowd.

                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 2, 2010
                  It appears that such a program was created for the open2300 project:

                  I could not find the Windows binary but I am sure it is out there.