Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Computer/Console Time Sync

  • Jaye Ellen
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 1, 2010
      Hi ---

      A thought occurs to me:  since Windows is so capable of disseminating Time Signals, is it possible to somehow sync to a web-based link to WWV?  I know programs exist that can sync to this, and thought maybe WUHU could use something like this ???

      Jaye Ellen KTNGALLA2

      On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Chris D Baragwanath (G) <cbara@...> wrote:

      Hi, a time time sync utility would be a great feature / bonus and really appreciated by the owners of  WS23xx units that live outside the range of DCF77. (Although the console data is date / time stamped with the PC time). Many thanks.

      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 1, 2010
        Jaye Ellen,

        In XP (not sure about 7) if you double click the clock in the tray, then click the Internet Time tab of the clock settings, you can verify that your system is automatically updating the time from the Internet. There is also an Update Now button that you can hit to have an immediate update.

        If that is working, your PC clock should be in good shape.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Jaye Ellen <jaye.ellen@...> wrote:

        > Hi ---
        >
        > A thought occurs to me: since Windows is so capable of disseminating Time
        > Signals, is it possible to somehow sync to a web-based link to WWV? I know
        > programs exist that can sync to this, and thought maybe WUHU could use
        > something like this ???
        >
        > Jaye Ellen KTNGALLA2
        >
        > On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Chris D Baragwanath (G)
        > <cbara@...>wrote:
        >

        > > Hi, a time time sync utility would be a great feature / bonus and really
        > > appreciated by the owners of WS23xx units that live outside the range of
        > > DCF77. (Although the console data is date / time stamped with the PC time).
        > > Many thanks.

      • Jaye Ellen
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 1, 2010
          yes, exactly --- this applies to all windows versions from XP on.  What is needed is for some way to use this same service within WU ... maybe not too practical?  Would surely simplify the timing process ...

          Jaye Ellen

          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 1, 2010
            Since this service is probably working on most machines, the PC clock should be pretty accurate.

            The real problem is setting the clocks via the protocols. Stations like La Crosee have protocol issues that may be unreliable so I do not think it is worth attempting to sync the PC clock with the console clock. For La Crosse systems I would recommend checking and manually synchronizing the console clock to the PC clock once in a while.

          • Jaye Ellen
            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 1, 2010
              My thought was more for those users located outside the Continental US, ie the Phillippines, who have no access to WWVB; I guess it's just a pee-poor idea.  Sorry.

              Jaye Ellen

              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 1, 2010
                The Internet time concept still works, there are just risks for changing the console clock via the serial channel.

                I suppose a scheme could be devised to measure the differences and compensate the history records, but that could be a quite a bit of work and possible prone to errors.

              • Bob Tyszka
                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 1, 2010
                  On 11/1/10 5:13 PM, Jaye Ellen wrote:
                  Hi ---

                  A thought occurs to me:  since Windows is so capable of disseminating Time Signals, is it possible to somehow sync to a web-based link to WWV?  I know programs exist that can sync to this, and thought maybe WUHU could use something like this ???

                  Jaye Ellen KTNGALLA2
                  I am not a computer programmer, but I do know that the US Naval Observatory web site does have a link to the Master Clock to synch your computer clock.  The USNO Master Clock is THE clock for the US and is the basis for the WWV times.

                  Bob Tyszka
                  California City, CA
                  CW9012 / KCACALIF5

                  Click for California City, California Forecast

                • Ken
                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 2, 2010
                    Actually, the Navel Clock is A and not THE clock. You can select the online site to draw from and the Navy is just one. WWV transmission come from Fort Collins, CO which is a ways from the ocean and part of the (NIST) National Institute of Standards and Technology. WWVB is also there. There is a WWVH that's a low band site that should be available world wide at least when propagation cooperates. I imagine that is Navy.

                    One of the software items I recommended a while back is T-Clock and that has more features than the standard clock. It can do things like on a day of the week and a selected time run an application. If WUHU is willing to supply a separate little applet that would set the clock, you could have a batch file that takes down WUHU, runs the sync, and reload WUHU. That let it be a caveat emptor operation for those who can't get WWVB and avoid a possibly troublesome feature in the main application.

                    Ken - KB9EU
                  • Ken
                    Message 9 of 27 , Nov 2, 2010
                      Sorry about the Navel <> Naval. :)
                    • Ken
                      Message 10 of 27 , Nov 2, 2010
                        Sorry about the Navel <> Naval. :)
                      • Don
                        Message 11 of 27 , Nov 2, 2010
                          I've used various apps to set the time automatically.  Here's a free one that will run in your tray and automatically connect to a time server like NIST and set your time daily.  There are many like this one.  I've use Atom Time in the past but it's no longer free.  This one is as are many others.

                          http://download.cnet.com/Atomic-Clock-Sync/3000-18512_4-14844.html

                          Don

                          On 11/2/2010 5:29 AM, Ken wrote:

[...]

                        • Vince Harzewski
                          Message 12 of 27 , Nov 2, 2010
                            WWVH operates on the same frequencies as WWV, except it's located in Hawaii.
                            There once was a station on 20KHz (WWVL, but it was discontinued in 1972.)
                            WWVB operates on 60 KHz, not quite as low a frequency as WWVB had. WWV,
                            WWVH, and WWVB are all operated by NIST.

                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWV_%28radio_station%29
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWVB

                            Vince

                            Message 13 of 27 , Nov 2, 2010

                              NIST also has a free application available at http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/its.cfm

                              The source code if available as well.

                              Vince

                              vh2@...

                              Message 14 of 27 , Nov 2, 2010
                                Ken,

                                Are we talking about setting the clock on the console or the PC? If the PC, you can run any clock sync application that affects the PC clock and WUHU will use that updated time.

                                > Actually, the Navel Clock is A and not THE clock. You can select the online site to draw from and the Navy is just one. WWV transmission come from Fort Collins, CO which is a ways from the ocean and part of the (NIST) National Institute of Standards and Technology. WWVB is also there. There is a WWVH that's a low band site that should be available world wide at least when propagation cooperates. I imagine that is Navy.
                                >
                                > One of the software items I recommended a while back is T-Clock and that has more features than the standard clock. It can do things like on a day of the week and a selected time run an application. If WUHU is willing to supply a separate little applet that would set the clock, you could have a batch file that takes down WUHU, runs the sync, and reload WUHU. That let it be a caveat emptor operation for those who can't get WWVB and avoid a possibly troublesome feature in the main application.
                                >
                                > Ken - KB9EU

                              • Jaye Ellen
                                Message 15 of 27 , Nov 2, 2010
                                  There was a time in my long-ago military times when one of my jobs was to cart around a portable Cesium Beam clock,flown out from the US Naval Observatory in DC.  I was working at the SatComm terminal in Sunnyvale CA.  This clock was used to set the other six cesium beam clocks, 2 per terminal.  Some job to make sure the Atomic Clocks are correctly set, eh?  The years were 1983-84 when Sunnyvale was the controlling station for the then-new DSCS III satellite.  Well, enough reminiscing ...

                                  Jaye Ellen

                                  On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 9:06 AM, wuhu_software <wuhu_software@...> wrote:

                                  Ken,

                                  Are we talking about setting the clock on the console or the PC? If the PC, you can run any clock sync application that affects the PC clock and WUHU will use that updated time.

                                  > Actually, the Navel Clock is A and not THE clock. You can select the online site to draw from and the Navy is just one. WWV transmission come from Fort Collins, CO which is a ways from the ocean and part of the (NIST) National Institute of Standards and Technology. WWVB is also there. There is a WWVH that's a low band site that should be available world wide at least when propagation cooperates. I imagine that is Navy.
                                  >
                                  > One of the software items I recommended a while back is T-Clock and that has more features than the standard clock. It can do things like on a day of the week and a selected time run an application. If WUHU is willing to supply a separate little applet that would set the clock, you could have a batch file that takes down WUHU, runs the sync, and reload WUHU. That let it be a caveat emptor operation for those who can't get WWVB and avoid a possibly troublesome feature in the main application.
                                  >
                                  > Ken - KB9EU

                                • Ken
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Nov 2, 2010
                                    I am talking about a separate applet to set the 23xx clock. The idea being that it avoids including it in the main app where it could cause difficulty. The applet would have the warnings yelled out in the docs.

                                    I suggest T-clock as a way for those who wish to update to do it automatically. Manual runs would certainly take care of most users needs -- just a thought for those in the belt and suspenders crowd.

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Nov 2, 2010
                                      It appears that such a program was created for the open2300 project:

                                      I could not find the Windows binary but I am sure it is out there.