WUHU Latest Version Not Installing

  • weatherbugnathan
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 28, 2010
      I'm trying to help a WeatherBug Reporter install WUHU onto his machine so he can send data to our network, and when he runs the installer, nothing happens. I tried downloading and installing the latest version on my machine as well to try it out, and the same thing is happening to me.

      If you could help us get WUHU installed, that'd be great.

      Thanks!

      Nathan
    • H. Smith
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 28, 2010
        Nathan,

        The problem is that I am using an old Microsoft installer package called InstallShield 5.1.

        The problem is that the install.exe program can be stuck in memory and cannot execute because some other application is doing something that conflicts with the installer.

        I will move to a new installer when I have the time but for now, try the following.

        Thanks.

        Install Note #1: When you run the install.exe application it may conflict with other running applications like Outlook or other applications and / or services. If you experience a lock-up when running the installer, perform a fresh reboot and terminate other applications (including those in the tray) that might be causing the conflict. It may be necessary to boot in to Safe mode to install the software if the problem application or service cannot be found.

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 28, 2010
          Sounds good. I'll let him know. Thanks!

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "H. Smith" <wuhu_software@...> wrote:

          > Nathan,
          > The problem is that I am using an old Microsoft installer package called InstallShield 5.1.
          > The problem is that the install.exe program can be stuck in memory and cannot execute because some other application is doing something that conflicts with the installer.
          > I will move to a new installer when I have the time but for now, try the following.
          > Thanks.
          > Install Note #1: When you run the install.exe application it may conflict with other running applications like Outlook or other applications and / or services. If you experience a lock-up when running the installer, perform a fresh reboot and terminate other applications (including those in the tray) that might be causing the conflict. It may be necessary to boot in to Safe mode to install the software if the problem application or service cannot be found.

        • mikedw5071
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 28, 2010
            When you find the time, have a look at Advanced Installer. http://www.advancedinstaller.com/ I like it; we use it at work. They have a free version which should be sufficient for (y)our needs.

            It's easy to use, but let me know if you end up needing any help.

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 29, 2010
              Mike,

              Thanks for the tip.

              I have looked at a few of the installers. Most of the freeware versions do not allow for registering COM components which is something I need to do.

              The other feature I need is to be able to send a close command to instances of WUHU that are running before the installer proceeds.

              I have heard of the Nullsoft installers and others that are open source and completely free, the only problem there is finding the time to learn the scripting languages, etc.

              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "mikedw5071" <mike.christianson@...> wrote:

              > When you find the time, have a look at Advanced Installer. http://www.advancedinstaller.com/ I like it; we use it at work. They have a free version which should be sufficient for (y)our needs.
              >
              > It's easy to use, but let me know if you end up needing any help.
              >
              > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "H. Smith"
              > > I will move to a new installer when I have the time but for now, try the following.

            • John Liss
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 29, 2010

                Take a look at Nullsoft installer.  It kicks butt.
                You can shutdown processes, services, etc.

                         DetailPrint "Stopping SLClient service..."
                         SimpleSC::StopService "SLClient"
                         sleep 5000
                         DetailPrint "Removing SLClient service..."
                         SimpleSC::RemoveService "SLClient"
                         sleep 2000
                         DetailPrint "Killing slagent and slclient..."
                         Processes::KillProcess "slagent"
                         Processes::KillProcess "slclient"
                         Processes::KillProcess "slstart"
                         sleep 5000

                http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Download

                I use it all the time to register dll's.

                Make sure you grab the editor too.
                http://hmne.sourceforge.net/

                If you decide to use nullsoft, I'm pretty apt at getting stuff done in it now days.

                -John

                On 9/29/2010 5:24 AM, wuhu_software wrote:
[...]

                WUHU Download page:

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    wuhu_software_group-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    wuhu_software_group-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 29, 2010
                  Do you know if there is a way to send a "Close" windows message if a process is running?

                  Other than registering a DLL and OCX object or two, that is all I really need.

                  Thanks.

                  --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Liss <john@...> wrote:

                  > Take a look at Nullsoft installer. It kicks butt.
                  > You can shutdown processes, services, etc.
                  >
                  > DetailPrint "Stopping SLClient service..."
                  > SimpleSC::StopService "SLClient"
                  > sleep 5000
                  > DetailPrint "Removing SLClient service..."
                  > SimpleSC::RemoveService "SLClient"
                  > sleep 2000
                  > DetailPrint "Killing slagent and slclient..."
                  > Processes::KillProcess "slagent"
                  > Processes::KillProcess "slclient"
                  > Processes::KillProcess "slstart"
                  > sleep 5000
                  >

                  > http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Download
                  >
                  > I use it all the time to register dll's.
                  >
                  > Make sure you grab the editor too.
                  > http://hmne.sourceforge.net/
                  >
                  > If you decide to use nullsoft, I'm pretty apt at getting stuff done in
                  > it now days.
                  >
                  > -John
                  >
                  > On 9/29/2010 5:24 AM, wuhu_software wrote:
                  > > Mike,
                  > >
                  > > Thanks for the tip.
                  > >
                  > > I have looked at a few of the installers. Most of the freeware versions do not allow for registering COM components which is something I need to do.
                  > >
                  > > The other feature I need is to be able to send a close command to instances of WUHU that are running before the installer proceeds.
                  > >
                  > > I have heard of the Nullsoft installers and others that are open source and completely free, the only problem there is finding the time to learn the scripting languages, etc.
                  > >

                  > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "mikedw5071"<mike.christianson@> wrote:
                  > >> When you find the time, have a look at Advanced Installer. http://www.advancedinstaller.com/ I like it; we use it at work. They have a free version which should be sufficient for (y)our needs.
                  > >>
                  > >> It's easy to use, but let me know if you end up needing any help.
                  > >>
                  > >> --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "H. Smith"

                  > > WUHU Download page:

                • John Liss
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 29, 2010
                    Sure. Use the SendMessage function.

                    See:
                    http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Winamp_Plugin_Installer_Scripts

                    Sorta like this:  (totally untested)

                    !include WinMessages.nsh

                    !define PRODUCT_NAME "WUHU"
                    !define PRODUCT_VERSION "x.04"
                    !define PRODUCT_DIR_REGKEY "Software\WUHU\"

                    ; MUI 1.67 compatible ------
                    !include "MUI.nsh"

                    ; MUI Settings
                    !define MUI_ABORTWARNING
                    !define MUI_ICON "${NSISDIR}\Contrib\Graphics\Icons\modern-install.ico"
                    !define MUI_UNICON "${NSISDIR}\Contrib\Graphics\Icons\modern-uninstall.ico"

                    ; Welcome page
                    !insertmacro MUI_PAGE_WELCOME
                    ; Instfiles page
                    !insertmacro MUI_PAGE_INSTFILES
                    ; Finish page
                    !insertmacro MUI_PAGE_FINISH

                    ; Uninstaller pages
                    !insertmacro MUI_UNPAGE_INSTFILES

                    ; Language files
                    !insertmacro MUI_LANGUAGE "English"

                    ; MUI end ------

                    Name "${PRODUCT_NAME} ${PRODUCT_VERSION}"
                    OutFile "Setup.exe"
                    InstallDir "$PROGRAMFILES\WUHU"
                    InstallDirRegKey HKLM "${PRODUCT_DIR_REGKEY}" ""
                    ShowInstDetails show
                    ShowUnInstDetails show

                    ; stolen from CloseWinamp: this will in a loop send the Winamp window the WM_CLOSE
                    ; message until it does not find a valid Winamp window
                    ; (should really protect against Winamp failing to exit!)
                    ;
                    Function CloseWuhu
                      Push $5
                      loop:
                        FindWindow $5 "Wuhu"
                        IntCmp $5 0 done
                        SendMessage $5 16 0 0
                        Sleep 100
                        Goto loop
                      done:
                      Pop $5
                    FunctionEnd

                    ; The install stuff
                    Section ""
                        ; Is it running?...
                        Processes::FindProcess "wuhu" ;without ".exe"
                        StrCmp $R0 "1" p_isRunning p_isNOTRunning

                        p_isRunning:
                          ;Found it running try to close it..
                          Call CloseWuhu
                          Sleep 1000  ; small delay to make sure it unloads..
                        p_isNOTRunning:
                          ; nope didn't find it running continue...

                      ; install the files...
                      SetOverwrite on
                      SetOutPath "$INSTDIR\" ; Files to extract
                      SetOverwrite try
                      File "H:\wuhu\wuhu.exe"  ; full path to source file
                      File "H:\wuhu\some.dll"
                      RegDLL "$INSTDIR\some.dll"

                    SectionEnd

                    Section -Post
                      WriteUninstaller "$INSTDIR\uninst.exe"
                      WriteRegStr ${PRODUCT_UNINST_ROOT_KEY} "${PRODUCT_UNINST_KEY}" "DisplayName" "$(^Name)"
                      WriteRegStr ${PRODUCT_UNINST_ROOT_KEY} "${PRODUCT_UNINST_KEY}" "UninstallString" "$INSTDIR\uninst.exe"
                      WriteRegStr ${PRODUCT_UNINST_ROOT_KEY} "${PRODUCT_UNINST_KEY}" "DisplayIcon" "$INSTDIR\wuhu.exe"
                      WriteRegStr ${PRODUCT_UNINST_ROOT_KEY} "${PRODUCT_UNINST_KEY}" "DisplayVersion" "${PRODUCT_VERSION}"
                    SectionEnd

                    Function un.onUninstSuccess
                      HideWindow
                      MessageBox MB_ICONINFORMATION|MB_OK "$(^Name) was successfully removed from your computer."
                    FunctionEnd

                    Function un.onInit
                      MessageBox MB_ICONQUESTION|MB_YESNO|MB_DEFBUTTON2 "Are you sure you want to completely remove $(^Name) and all of its components?" IDYES +2
                      Abort
                    FunctionEnd

                    Section Uninstall
                      delete  /REBOOTOK "$INSTDIR\uninst.exe"

                      DetailPrint "Uninstalling Wuhu..."
                    ;  DetailPrint "Stopping service..."  ; if we installed as such
                    ;  SimpleSC::StopService "WUHU"

                    ; make sure we are not running...

                      DetailPrint "Killing wuhu .."
                      Processes::KillProcess "wuhu"
                      sleep 500

                    ; clean up our installed files, remember to add down here if you add above

                      UnRegDLL "$INSTDIR\some.dll"
                      delete  /REBOOTOK "$INSTDIR\some.dll"
                      delete  /REBOOTOK "$INSTDIR\WUHU.exe"

                      RMDir /REBOOTOK "$INSTDIR"

                      DeleteRegKey ${PRODUCT_UNINST_ROOT_KEY} "${PRODUCT_UNINST_KEY}"
                      DeleteRegKey HKLM "${PRODUCT_DIR_REGKEY}"

                      IfRebootFlag r_boot nr_boot

                      r_boot:
                        MessageBox MB_OKCANCEL "You must now reboot your system to complete the uninstall." IDCANCEL end
                        Reboot
                      goto end

                      nr_boot:
                      end: