Web Cam

    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 12, 2006
      Anyone know how far you can run a USB cable to a web cam? Any way to
      use a cat 5 and adapt to both ends with a USB connector?
      Probably a dumb question, but I would like to place a webcam looking
      outdoors in the back yard, my computer in on a wall faceing the front
      yard.

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 12, 2006
        Good question.

        I bought standard 6ft extension cable.

        I found this "repeater" cable on newegg.

        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812116123

        That will take you to 16ft, I imagine you can use two of those to take
        you to 32 extra feet.

        <steve_03222@...> wrote:

        > Anyone know how far you can run a USB cable to a web cam? Any way to
        > use a cat 5 and adapt to both ends with a USB connector?
        > Probably a dumb question, but I would like to place a webcam looking
        > outdoors in the back yard, my computer in on a wall faceing the front
        > yard.
        >
        > Steve

      • Chuck
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 12, 2006
          I believe it's something like 12-15 ft. One way around the length limitation is to mut a hub in. That would take you to about 24-30 ft.

          <steve_03222@...> wrote:

          > Anyone know how far you can run a USB cable to a web cam? Any way to
          > use a cat 5 and adapt to both ends with a USB connector?
          > Probably a dumb question, but I would like to place a webcam looking
          > outdoors in the back yard, my computer in on a wall faceing the front
          > yard.
          >
          > Steve

        • utahweatherbear
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 12, 2006
            I had to connect 4 or maybe 5 15 foot USB cables to get from the
            basement to my rooftop camera. Much more than what they say is the
            maximum, but seems to work fine, even with streaming:

            http://67.161.214.29:8080/

            dan

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 12, 2006
              OK, thanks, but what does mut a hub in mean in laymans term?

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 12, 2006
                That is a cool setup with the live cam.

                What software are you using? Free?

                Also, is the camera pointing out a window? If it is on the roof, does
                it work in cold weather conditions or do you have some sort of heater?

                Thanks.

                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "utahweatherbear"

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 12, 2006
                  OK thanks,
                  What a nice view, and sound too.

                  I used to live in Wyoming, just outside Casper.

                  If I can get this webcam to work I might ask for some advise on how to
                  get it sent to a web page.
                  So far I can't get it to see the camera. I am trying it on my old
                  computer to see if it the camera or my machine.

                  Thanks, Steve
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 12, 2006
                    USB Hubs are intended for when you want to hook up multiple USB devices
                    using a single USB port on your computer.

                    If you go with a hub, get a self-powered one if you are running any
                    distance.

                    <steve_03222@...> wrote:

                    > OK, thanks, but what does mut a hub in mean in laymans term?
                    >

                    > Steve

                  • utahweatherbear
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 12, 2006
                      I use webcamXP. http://www.webcamxp.com/

                      Not free, if u want it to work completely. Paid about $40, but it
                      was worth it. The cam is mounted on top of my swamp cooler on the
                      roof, and is cased in a semi-water tight container. It's not heated
                      or cooled, and seems to have no problem with the temp extremes. It's
                      a simple little logitech 4000.

                      dan

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 12, 2006
                        I just tried this webcam on my old windows 98 machine and it works
                        fine. As soon as I plugged it in it loaded the drivers, now I have to
                        figure out why it won't do the same on my new computer

                        Steve
                      • utahweatherbear
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 12, 2006
                          Webcams can be fickle little buggers. I know with my logitech and
                          Windows XP, I first had to load the software before getting my
                          webcam even close to the usb port. After loading most of the
                          software, it asks for a reboot, then it propmts you after reboot to
                          plug in the webcam, and it loads the drivers. If I don't do it
                          exactly as it says, you can't get it to work.

                          dan

                          <steve_03222@...> wrote:

                          > I just tried this webcam on my old windows 98 machine and it works
                          > fine. As soon as I plugged it in it loaded the drivers, now I have
                          > figure out why it won't do the same on my new computer
                          >
                          > Steve

                        • Kris Olmstead, W2FLR/KNYOTISC2
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 25, 2015
                            Good Day,

                            Is anyone else seeing issues with their web cams uploading to WU?
                            Starting about 2 days ago, I get consistent failures on both cams yet
                            nothing on this side has changed. Even though most (90%) uploads fail,
                            there are images on WU that are hours past the last successful upload.
                            For example, there is an image there now that is time stamped 10:38 AM
                            but the last successful upload from that cam shows 5:31 AM.

                            Thanks for reading.

                            Kris
                            http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KNYOTISC2
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 25, 2015
                              Mine is up to date, have you checked other cams in your area to see if theirs are older pics also?
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 25, 2015

                                Don't ya hate that when you have a problem, bring it up in a discussion and it goes away right after you send the email?

                                Thanks Steve, other cams were a bit off too but now all seems to working OK.

                                Sometimes I think John C. @ WU watches these emails and fixes an issue that may not have come to their attention yet.

                                Goodnight all.