Vantage Vue Peak Wind

  • utahweatherbear
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 28, 2010
      been getting quite a bit of winds here of late, nice test for my new vue...and have noticed something strange. seems the peak wind on the console is reading higher than what WUHU is showing, mainly after 30 mph or so, and the difference gets larger the stronger the wind. just in the last few days, WUHU showed peak gusts of 46, 61, and 69 mph...while the console reported 48, 63, and 72 mph. don't have any wind offsets, so not sure what's up or which one is correct? I would assume the console would be, but who knows. any thoughts?

      thanx, dan
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 29, 2010
        Dan,

        As I recall, the station is being polled every 2.5 seconds? Is that true?

        How quickly is the console updating the display?

        I am wondering if the console is able to catch the wind updates faster due to the slower polling rate of 2.5 seconds?

        Thanks.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "utahweatherbear" <utahweatherbear@...> wrote:

        > been getting quite a bit of winds here of late, nice test for my new vue...and have noticed something strange. seems the peak wind on the console is reading higher than what WUHU is showing, mainly after 30 mph or so, and the difference gets larger the stronger the wind. just in the last few days, WUHU showed peak gusts of 46, 61, and 69 mph...while the console reported 48, 63, and 72 mph. don't have any wind offsets, so not sure what's up or which one is correct? I would assume the console would be, but who knows. any thoughts?
        >
        > thanx, dan

      • utahweatherbear
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 29, 2010
          yep, seems to update every couple seconds. so are you saying for instance...the 72 mph gust is gone by the time it reaches WUHU a second or so later, so it only sees the next max on the way down of 69 mph or something like that? ok, makes sense but kinda strange. I always thought it would just grab the peak from the database stored in the console and they would be the same. which if that were the case, there would have to be some kind of rounding or math error somewhere. either way, will have to live with it or use a tweak. seems 1.04 would be about right...anyway you can give us an option to only use tweaks in a certain gust range of over a certain number? it seems to be fine or doesn't show up with the light and more common wind gusts yet...

          thanx, dan

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 29, 2010
            I am calling the Davis library to obtain the data. I agree that the console should be maintaining the gust value and report it to the software accordingly. It would be interesting to know if the VP2 is the same.

            I would avoid a tweak to solve the problem since it appears that it has to do more with the poll rate than misinterpreted data.

            Perhaps the solution is to increase the poll rate down to say 1.5 seconds.

            If possible, can you take a stop watch and accurately measure the updates seen on the console screen? That might be interesting to know.

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "utahweatherbear" <utahweatherbear@...> wrote:

            > yep, seems to update every couple seconds. so are you saying for instance...the 72 mph gust is gone by the time it reaches WUHU a second or so later, so it only sees the next max on the way down of 69 mph or something like that? ok, makes sense but kinda strange. I always thought it would just grab the peak from the database stored in the console and they would be the same. which if that were the case, there would have to be some kind of rounding or math error somewhere. either way, will have to live with it or use a tweak. seems 1.04 would be about right...anyway you can give us an option to only use tweaks in a certain gust range of over a certain number? it seems to be fine or doesn't show up with the light and more common wind gusts yet...
            >
            > thanx, dan

            > > Dan,
            > >
            > > As I recall, the station is being polled every 2.5 seconds? Is that true?
            > >
            > > How quickly is the console updating the display?
            > >
            > > I am wondering if the console is able to catch the wind updates faster due to the slower polling rate of 2.5 seconds?
            > >
            > > Thanks.
            > >

            > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "utahweatherbear" <utahweatherbear@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > been getting quite a bit of winds here of late, nice test for my new vue...and have noticed something strange. seems the peak wind on the console is reading higher than what WUHU is showing, mainly after 30 mph or so, and the difference gets larger the stronger the wind. just in the last few days, WUHU showed peak gusts of 46, 61, and 69 mph...while the console reported 48, 63, and 72 mph. don't have any wind offsets, so not sure what's up or which one is correct? I would assume the console would be, but who knows. any thoughts?
            > > >
            > > > thanx, dan

          • utahweatherbear
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 29, 2010
              sounds like a plan...appreciate it! what's a "stop watch"? LOL. anyway, I can do that when I get home. watching my rapid fire online it's definitely every 2 to 3 seconds. how often does WUHU poll the console, or is it visa-versa? so, when I get home this evening I'll time the Vue console updates with this stop watch you speak of and let you know. think I have one on my droid... ;-)

              dan

              > I am calling the Davis library to obtain the data. I agree that the console should be maintaining the gust value and report it to the software accordingly. It would be interesting to know if the VP2 is the same.
              >
              > I would avoid a tweak to solve the problem since it appears that it has to do more with the poll rate than misinterpreted data.
              >
              > Perhaps the solution is to increase the poll rate down to say 1.5 seconds.
              >
              > If possible, can you take a stop watch and accurately measure the updates seen on the console screen? That might be interesting to know.
              >

              > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "utahweatherbear" <utahweatherbear@> wrote:
              > >
              > > yep, seems to update every couple seconds. so are you saying for instance...the 72 mph gust is gone by the time it reaches WUHU a second or so later, so it only sees the next max on the way down of 69 mph or something like that? ok, makes sense but kinda strange. I always thought it would just grab the peak from the database stored in the console and they would be the same. which if that were the case, there would have to be some kind of rounding or math error somewhere. either way, will have to live with it or use a tweak. seems 1.04 would be about right...anyway you can give us an option to only use tweaks in a certain gust range of over a certain number? it seems to be fine or doesn't show up with the light and more common wind gusts yet...
              > >
              > > thanx, dan

              > > > Dan,
              > > >
              > > > As I recall, the station is being polled every 2.5 seconds? Is that true?
              > > >
              > > > How quickly is the console updating the display?
              > > >
              > > > I am wondering if the console is able to catch the wind updates faster due to the slower polling rate of 2.5 seconds?
              > > >
              > > > Thanks.

            • utahweatherbear
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 29, 2010
                yes, the transmitter on the console is polling every 2.5 seconds.