Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Davis VantageVue

  • cookevilleweatherguy@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 8, 2010
      WL is included with the Datalogger or is it vice-versa?

      From: "utahweatherbear" <utahweatherbear@...>
      Sender: wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 01:36:14 -0000
      To: <wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Davis VantageVue

      so do you just need the vantage vue and the datalogger to upload to the world via WUHU, or do you need to spend even more money on weatherlink software too?

      db

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey C. Le Doux" <jefcled@...> wrote:

      > Jaye Ellen,
      > I am still confused. I have downloaded the WUHU software, I have my data
      > logger, I have downloaded VirtualVP and a couple of others. I can see the
      > station on my computer, at which point I would have expected it to become
      > intuitive. Somehow my USB catalogger is still not properly visible. I
      > guess I am just easily confused. I have printed off the directions from
      > Davis, and they have not even helped. I feel I am bound to be forever
      > confused unless someone can come up with the right step by step directions
      > that this old man can finally follow.
      > Thanks for trying,
      > Jeff L
      > KMEWILTO1
      >
      > _____

    • utahweatherbear
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 8, 2010
        ahh...so weatherlink software comes with the datalogger? gotcha. thanx!

        so you can't run wuhu at same time as weatherlink? as long as it and the datalogger are installed hoping wuhu will work with vue just like it does with lacrosse without running heavy weather?

        db

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, cookevilleweatherguy@... wrote:

        > WL is included with the Datalogger or is it vice-versa?

      • Shawn Parker
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 8, 2010
          You can if you get Virtual VP a COM port forwarder.

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 9, 2010
            Jeffrey,

            What the Davis software does (assuming you have installed the Weatherlink software) is to create a "virtual" serial port on your machine when you plug in the USB data logger.

            If you have a real serial port (or two) on the machine, they show up as COM1, COM2, etc. When Davis creates a virtual serial port, this shows up as COM7 (as I recall).

            Setting up Virtual VP is a bit more complicated but without the use of Virtual VP, only one program can communicate with the station at a time.

            What I would do is firstly identify the COM number associated with this virtual port as the first step. To do this, follow these steps.

            1) Stop Weatherlink software if running.
            2) Run WUHU.
            3) Hit the Stop button.
            4) In General section, set the station type to Davis VP2.
            5) To the right, select COM7.
            6) Hit Start.
            7) If after a few seconds, the port does not show up, go back to step 1 and select a different port. Ideally you could go to the device manager and determine what port # to use directly.

            If the data shows up in WUHU, that means that you do indeed have a COM7 virtual serial port.

            Next, if you want to set up Virtual VP, you would close out WUHU and Weatherlink, configure it to use COM7 (if that is indeed the virtual port). Once you have Virtual VP communicating, it will then create higher number ports like COM13, COM14. You would then configure WUHU and Weatherlink to use those higher port numbers created by Virtual VP. Each weather application will have its COM port. For example WUHU might use COM13, Weatherlink might use COM14. You will have to read the Virtual VP documentation to determine the port #s that it creates. I believe you can change them if you wish.

          • Jeffrey C. Le Doux
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 9, 2010
              I have the WeatherLink software, and I guess that is supposed to make it easier.  Not so.
              Jeff

              so do you just need the vantage vue and the datalogger to upload to the world via WUHU, or do you need to spend even more money on weatherlink software too?

              db

              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey C. Le Doux" <jefcled@...> wrote:

              > Jaye
              Ellen,
              > I am still confused. I have downloaded the WUHU software, I have
              my data
              > logger, I have downloaded VirtualVP and a couple of others. I
              can see the
              > station on my computer, at which point I would have expected
              it to become
              > intuitive. Somehow my USB catalogger is still not properly
              visible. I
              > guess I am just easily confused. I have printed off the
              directions from
              > Davis, and they have not even helped. I feel I am bound
              to be forever
              > confused unless someone can come up with the right step by
              step directions
              > that this old man can finally follow.
              > Thanks
              for trying,

              href="mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com">wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com

              href="mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com">wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com> group@yahoogroups.com] On

              To: wuhu_software_ <mailto:wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com>

              group@yahoogroups.com

              href="mailto:group%40yahoogroups.com">group@yahoogroups.com, "jefcled" <jefcled@> wrote:

              > > How do I get my Davis
              VantageVue to upload to WUHU? Also would like to
              > have the new unit
              replace my La Crosse that uploads to CWOP.
              > > Thanks Jeff Le
              Doux
              > > KMEWILTO1

            • Jeffrey C. Le Doux
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 9, 2010
                WeatherLink is included with the datalogger

                WL is included with the Datalogger or is it vice-versa?

                From: "utahweatherbear" <utahweatherbear@ yahoo.com>
                Sender: wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com
                Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 01:36:14 -0000
                To: <wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com>
                ReplyTo: wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com

                so do you just need the vantage vue and the datalogger to upload to the world via WUHU, or do you need to spend even more money on weatherlink software too?

                db

                --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, "Jeffrey C. Le Doux" <jefcled@...> wrote:

                > Jaye
                Ellen,
                > I am still confused. I have downloaded the WUHU software, I have
                my data
                > logger, I have downloaded VirtualVP and a couple of others. I
                can see the
                > station on my computer, at which point I would have expected
                it to become
                > intuitive. Somehow my USB catalogger is still not properly
                visible. I
                > guess I am just easily confused. I have printed off the
                directions from
                > Davis, and they have not even helped. I feel I am bound
                to be forever
                > confused unless someone can come up with the right step by
                step directions
                > that this old man can finally follow.
                > Thanks
                for trying,

                href="http://home.">http://home.

                online.net> wrote:

                > Eric,
                > I know I am challenged, but this is driving me foolish.
                The station is
                > connected to this computer. Do you have a name for the
                software module to
                > be downloaded from wunderground? I am just
                confused.

                > _____
                >
                > From: wuhu_software_
                <mailto:wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com>