Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Rain Gauge Under-reports

  • chrisv78@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3, 2010

      I am having a very slight tilt issue with the mast, which holds the station about the roofline.  I was planning on re-engineering it this weekend to bring the mast all of the way to the ground.  While down, I will try cleaning the rain sensor as well.  By the way, do you know of a safe solvent in case there is some kind of residue?  Otherwise I will try water and a soft toothbrush!

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3, 2010
        Spray silicone is probably the best, it will not eat the plastics.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, chrisv78@... wrote:

        > I am having a very slight tilt issue with the mast, which holds the station about the roofline.  I was planning on re-engineering it this weekend to bring the mast all of the way to the ground.  While down, I will try cleaning the rain sensor as well.  By the way, do you know of a safe solvent in case there is some kind of residue?  Otherwise I will try water and a soft toothbrush!

      • alrjr2001
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 4, 2010
          Pick up a can of contact cleaner @ radio shack or something, it should be fine on the plastic, swab some on the inside of the plastic cover first to be sure. Silicon spray is not really a cleaning agent but more of a lubricant. Plain old rubbing alcohol would work really well & you probably already have some in the house:-)

          Arnold In The Smokies
          DW112

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 13, 2010

            After climbing on the roof last week to try cleaning the rain gauge, we finally got some rain yesterday.  My gauge accumulated .02 in while the neighbor's (roughly 1/2 mile away) was at .06 in.  The rain wasn't heavy, but my concern is once again that their station (a VantageVue) reported a 3X higher total.  Perhaps they are over-reporting, I don't know.  The rain is supposed to return next week.  More to come ...........

            Thanks for the suggestions.

            Chris

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 14, 2010
              Like someone else suggested the only real way to verify would be to place a standard accurate (like the CoCo RaHS unit) next to the other rain gauge & compare. My LaCrosse seems to under report to me as verified by my cheap standard rain gauge a few feet away. I've cleaned mine & it didnt help, it seems to ony count every other tip of the bucket, likely the reed switch. I need to re-do my whole mast to clean up the wiring so I'll fix or replace it then. Today I need to replace the computer hooked to the LaCrosse as the ancient Compaq laptop finally gave up the ghost after running 24/7 for so long (it was well used before I acquired it as well):-)

              Arnold In The Smokies
              DW1121