Rain Gauge Under-reports

  • chrisv78
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2010
      Hello all. It has been a while since I have posted here. Software's great ... Davis Vantage Pro2 is acting up though. It under-reports rainfall. There is no blockage in the raincup, and the teeter-totter registers if I manually move it or if I put a great deal of water in it. However under "normal" rain conditions, neighbors may report an inch or more, and I am still in the tenths. Has anyone else noticed somethin similar?
    • Greg
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2010
        Is the inaccuracy a recent developemnt or has it always been that way?  My suggestion would be to get a manual gauge and set beside it and compare the readings.  Your tipping gauge is adjustable to make it more accurate.  Or you can add a "fudge factor" in the software in the "tweak" section.

        Rainfall can vary greatly over short distances, so your neighbors readings may be different from yours.

        Look at http://www.cocorahs.org (Sorry folks, but I plug cocorahs every chance I get!) for additional rainfall measuring and reporting information and http://www.weatheryourway.com/cocorahs/rgcoco.htm for a good manual gauge.

        Good luck

        Greg Whitehead
        Euchee, TN
        CWOP:  DW0148
        WMR968/WS-2315/VP2
        WU:  KTNEUCHE3/KTNTENMI2/KTNTENMI3
        CoCoRaHS:  TN-MS-1
        WMR968/WS2315/VP2/WUHU
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3, 2010
          You might try taking apart the teeter-totter and really clean the pin and parts in case there is some type of residue build up.

          The unit itself needs to be leveled and far away from a roof line etc.

          Let us know if you figure it out.

        • chrisv78@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 3, 2010

            I am having a very slight tilt issue with the mast, which holds the station about the roofline.  I was planning on re-engineering it this weekend to bring the mast all of the way to the ground.  While down, I will try cleaning the rain sensor as well.  By the way, do you know of a safe solvent in case there is some kind of residue?  Otherwise I will try water and a soft toothbrush!

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 3, 2010
              Spray silicone is probably the best, it will not eat the plastics.

              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, chrisv78@... wrote:

              > I am having a very slight tilt issue with the mast, which holds the station about the roofline.  I was planning on re-engineering it this weekend to bring the mast all of the way to the ground.  While down, I will try cleaning the rain sensor as well.  By the way, do you know of a safe solvent in case there is some kind of residue?  Otherwise I will try water and a soft toothbrush!

            • alrjr2001
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 4, 2010
                Pick up a can of contact cleaner @ radio shack or something, it should be fine on the plastic, swab some on the inside of the plastic cover first to be sure. Silicon spray is not really a cleaning agent but more of a lubricant. Plain old rubbing alcohol would work really well & you probably already have some in the house:-)

                Arnold In The Smokies
                DW112

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 13, 2010

                  After climbing on the roof last week to try cleaning the rain gauge, we finally got some rain yesterday.  My gauge accumulated .02 in while the neighbor's (roughly 1/2 mile away) was at .06 in.  The rain wasn't heavy, but my concern is once again that their station (a VantageVue) reported a 3X higher total.  Perhaps they are over-reporting, I don't know.  The rain is supposed to return next week.  More to come ...........

                  Thanks for the suggestions.

                  Chris

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 14, 2010
                    Like someone else suggested the only real way to verify would be to place a standard accurate (like the CoCo RaHS unit) next to the other rain gauge & compare. My LaCrosse seems to under report to me as verified by my cheap standard rain gauge a few feet away. I've cleaned mine & it didnt help, it seems to ony count every other tip of the bucket, likely the reed switch. I need to re-do my whole mast to clean up the wiring so I'll fix or replace it then. Today I need to replace the computer hooked to the LaCrosse as the ancient Compaq laptop finally gave up the ghost after running 24/7 for so long (it was well used before I acquired it as well):-)

                    Arnold In The Smokies
                    DW1121