Re: Lighting and surge protection

    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1, 2010
      USB adapters are generally unreliable.  Assuming that you are using XP, I would recommend the one from IOGear available at newegg.com.

      IOGEAR GUC232A USB1.1 to Serial/ PDA Converter Cable

      If you are using a newer OS like Windows 7, I would recommend a real serial port card. These are also available from Newegg.

      The telephone surge protector is not designed to be used with RS-232 communications. What you need is an inline serial surge protector.

      Serial Surge Protector