Wind Sensor

  • thundersnow32
    Message 1 of 11 , May 6, 2010
      Howdy, I have a La Crosse WS-2308 weather station, and I just got a new wind sensor, one that has cups in stead of the fan that it came with. Anyway, I asked La Crosse via email to see if I could switch the WS-2315 wind sensor with the TX-20 wind, they said that it would work. I plug the TX-20 in the thermo hydro sensor, and nothing! I been through all the reset processes and called La Crosse. There's nothing that reads but three dashes. Is there something else I can try???

      Thanks!
      Message 2 of 11 , May 7, 2010
        Are you sure you plugged the new one in to the wind sensor port on the remote thermo? There are 3 ports on it, wind, rain, and console. If you are running wireless, maybe you plugged it in to the console port?

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "thundersnow32" <thundersnow32@...> wrote:

        > Howdy, I have a La Crosse WS-2308 weather station, and I just got a new wind sensor, one that has cups in stead of the fan that it came with. Anyway, I asked La Crosse via email to see if I could switch the WS-2315 wind sensor with the TX-20 wind, they said that it would work. I plug the TX-20 in the thermo hydro sensor, and nothing! I been through all the reset processes and called La Crosse. There's nothing that reads but three dashes. Is there something else I can try???
        >
        > Thanks!

      • Greg Whitehead
        Message 3 of 11 , May 7, 2010
          I made the same substitution and it works fine (although I had to get a second one shipped, the first one was broken in transit).  However, it works fine here and I am very pleased with it.  Perhaps the sensor is bad?  Did you hold the console button down to find the sensors?  If all else fails, take all the batteries out of everything for 24 hours then restart.

          Good luck!

          Greg Whitehead
          Euchee, TN
          CWOP:  DW0148
          WU:  KTNEUCHE3/KTNTENMI2
          CoCoRaHS:  TN-MS-1
          WMR968/WS2315/WUHU
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 25, 2012
            I replaced my wind sensor for my 2310 several months ago with the one that has the cups and I don't believe it is sensing the correct speed.

            Today in Florida I know that I should have recorded at least a 30 or 35 mph gust but I'm only reading 23 mph.

            Has anyone else had problems with the cup sensor not reading as high as the original style sensor?

            Thanks,

            Ron
          • Josephkareh
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 26, 2012
              Dear ron

              The ws2310 do not provides you the gust but only the top speed which is diffrent from the gust speed

              Meteokareh.com

              Sent from my iPhone
              www.meteokareh.com

              =
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 26, 2012
                I would guess that missing a gust with a La Crosse has more to do with the rate that the console receives updates from the remote sensor. I had a 65+ gust come through and my console recorded about the same as yours. If you want real-time wind capture you would need to get a Inspeed Vortex.

                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "ronw72" <1rondee@...> wrote:

                > I replaced my wind sensor for my 2310 several months ago with the one that has the cups and I don't believe it is sensing the correct speed.
                >
                > Today in Florida I know that I should have recorded at least a 30 or 35 mph gust but I'm only reading 23 mph.
                >
                > Has anyone else had problems with the cup sensor not reading as high as the original style sensor?
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Ron

              • Josephkareh
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 26, 2012
                  Ron are you using the wireless mode?
                  If so try to modify your sensor in order to have a 6 sec update interval so that the sensor will catch more wind speed

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On 26 Jun 2012, at 12:31 PM, "wuhu_software" <wuhu_software@...> wrote:

                  I would guess that missing a gust with a La Crosse has more to do with the rate that the console receives updates from the remote sensor. I had a 65+ gust come through and my console recorded about the same as yours. If you want real-time wind capture you would need to get a Inspeed Vortex.

                  --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "ronw72" <1rondee@...> wrote:

                  > I replaced my wind sensor for my 2310 several months ago with the one that has the cups and I don't believe it is sensing the correct speed.
                  >
                  > Today in Florida I know that I should have recorded at least a 30 or 35 mph gust but I'm only reading 23 mph.
                  >
                  > Has anyone else had problems with the cup sensor not reading as high as the original style sensor?
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Ron

                  =
                • ronw72
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 26, 2012
                    You guys have got me confused now

                    I'm wired.

                    All I wanted to know is if anyone had noticed a difference after replacing the original sensor that comes with the 2310 and the cup style.

                    http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLTAMPA42

                    I'm not sure I understand the difference in the tabular data for wind speed and wind gust?

                    Maybe I should have stated that my sensor is not reading as high of wind speed as the original.

                    Thanks,

                    Ron

                    --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "ronw72" <1rondee@...> wrote:

                    > I replaced my wind sensor for my 2310 several months ago with the one that has the cups and I don't believe it is sensing the correct speed.
                    >
                    > Today in Florida I know that I should have recorded at least a 30 or 35 mph gust but I'm only reading 23 mph.
                    >
                    > Has anyone else had problems with the cup sensor not reading as high as the original style sensor?
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Ron

                  • David Lipper
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 26, 2012
                      Ron, on your first question -- I have not noticed any differences in the top wind speed
                      as a result on swapping the turbine-style anemometer with a cup-style one.
                      Instead, there was a clear improvement in registering low-speed wind.

                      In other words, the turbine sensor would not show anything below,
                      say 3mph, whereas the cup-based one would show winds down to ~1mph,
                      also making the wind speed graph smoother.

                      As for the gust -- it's easy to miss it if it's shorter than your sampling period.
                      Since the wired mode samples more frequently in WS-23xx, it's more likely to capture
                      transient gusts than the wireless mode.

                      On 2012-06-26 07:44, ronw72 wrote:

                      You guys have got me confused now

                      I'm wired.

                      All I wanted to know is if anyone had noticed a difference after replacing the original sensor that comes with the 2310 and the cup style.

                      http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLTAMPA42

                      I'm not sure I understand the difference in the tabular data for wind speed and wind gust?

                      Maybe I should have stated that my sensor is not reading as high of wind speed as the original.

                      Thanks,

                      Ron

                      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "ronw72" <1rondee@...> wrote:

                      > I replaced my wind sensor for my 2310 several months ago with the one that has the cups and I don't believe it is sensing the correct speed.
                      >
                      > Today in Florida I know that I should have recorded at least a 30 or 35 mph gust but I'm only reading 23 mph.
                      >
                      > Has anyone else had problems with the cup sensor not reading as high as the original style sensor?
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      >
                      > Ron

                    • ronw72
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 26, 2012
                        David,

                        Thanks, you answered the question I had on the different sensors.

                        I think my low readings are about the same as the old style but I'll have to check and make sure.

                        I tweaked the speed, only guessing, to 1.25 and the high speed reading now seems to match more what I would expect to see with the conditions today.

                        Ron

                        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, David Lipper <glenvilleweather@...> wrote:

                        > Ron, on your first question -- I have not noticed any differences in the top wind speed
                        > as a result on swapping the turbine-style anemometer with a cup-style one.
                        > Instead, there was a clear improvement in registering low-speed wind.
                        >
                        > In other words, the turbine sensor would not show anything below,
                        > say 3mph, whereas the cup-based one would show winds down to ~1mph,
                        > also making the wind speed graph smoother.
                        >
                        > As for the gust -- it's easy to miss it if it's shorter than your sampling period.
                        > Since the wired mode samples more frequently in WS-23xx, it's more likely to capture
                        > transient gusts than the wireless mode.
                        >
                        > On 2012-06-26 07:44, ronw72 wrote:
                        > >

                        > > You guys have got me confused now
                        > >
                        > > I'm wired.
                        > >
                        > > All I wanted to know is if anyone had noticed a difference after replacing the original sensor that comes with the 2310 and
                        > > the cup style.
                        > >
                        > > http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLTAMPA42
                        > >
                        > > I'm not sure I understand the difference in the tabular data for wind speed and wind gust?
                        > >
                        > > Maybe I should have stated that my sensor is not reading as high of wind speed as the original.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks,
                        > >
                        > > Ron
                        > >
                        > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com <mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com>, "ronw72" <1rondee@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > I replaced my wind sensor for my 2310 several months ago with the one that has the cups and I don't believe it is sensing
                        > > the correct speed.
                        > > >
                        > > > Today in Florida I know that I should have recorded at least a 30 or 35 mph gust but I'm only reading 23 mph.
                        > > >
                        > > > Has anyone else had problems with the cup sensor not reading as high as the original style sensor?
                        > > >
                        > > > Thanks,
                        > > >
                        > > > Ron

                      • Tom
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 10 11:02 PM
                          I made the change on mine this spring with no problem. Maybe a
                          defective sensor?