BlackBerry App - Weather Underground

  • JoeBrown3
    Message 1 of 7 , May 4, 2010
      I don't understand this. There is an application for the BlackBerry called berryweather that provides a lot of weather information to a cellphone user. There are a lot of these kinds of apps out there, but bweather (as it goes by a lot) is unique because it uses Weather Underground for its information feed. Most of the apps use National Weather Service or Weather Channel or other sources. But Bweather recently changed over to use Wunderground.

      What's neat about this is that it also lets you access the Personal Weather Station information. For example, it allows me to set my main screen wall paper with a nice weather icon, a short statement of the current weather, the temp and the feels like temp at my personal weather station. I can set it to update at any frequency - mine is set for hourly. It's right there every time I pull the phone out of its holster. This is really cool, in my humble opinion.

      BUT... maybe I missed it... But I see nothing anywhere on the Weather Underground site that touts this, mentions it, or otherwise even acknowledges that such an app is available for a relatively small one-time fee ($10). Some of these apps actually require you to subscribe!

      So... has anyone seen anything about this on the wunderground site that I must have missed? Does anyone have access to Wunderground people to ask why they choose to miss out on a tool that brings people to Wunderground in a new way?

      It really puzzles me.

      Joe
    • Rick
      Message 2 of 7 , May 4, 2010
        The proper app name is BeWeather. on sale 9.99!! very cool

        Rick
        KOHWAPAK1
        www.wapakweather.com

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "JoeBrown3" <joe@...> wrote:

        > I don't understand this. There is an application for the BlackBerry called berryweather that provides a lot of weather information to a cellphone user. There are a lot of these kinds of apps out there, but bweather (as it goes by a lot) is unique because it uses Weather Underground for its information feed. Most of the apps use National Weather Service or Weather Channel or other sources. But Bweather recently changed over to use Wunderground.
        >
        > What's neat about this is that it also lets you access the Personal Weather Station information. For example, it allows me to set my main screen wall paper with a nice weather icon, a short statement of the current weather, the temp and the feels like temp at my personal weather station. I can set it to update at any frequency - mine is set for hourly. It's right there every time I pull the phone out of its holster. This is really cool, in my humble opinion.
        >
        > BUT... maybe I missed it... But I see nothing anywhere on the Weather Underground site that touts this, mentions it, or otherwise even acknowledges that such an app is available for a relatively small one-time fee ($10). Some of these apps actually require you to subscribe!
        >
        > So... has anyone seen anything about this on the wunderground site that I must have missed? Does anyone have access to Wunderground people to ask why they choose to miss out on a tool that brings people to Wunderground in a new way?
        >
        > It really puzzles me.
        >
        > Joe

      • Greg Whitehead
        Message 3 of 7 , May 4, 2010
          Perhaps WU doesn't realize their data is being used and sold.
        • JoeBrown3
          Message 4 of 7 , May 4, 2010
            The situation makes me wonder. Do they know? Or have they missed out on understanding what they have done? They promote themselves with web references that users can use, and otherwise seem to be trying to capitalize on there opportunities. So why don't they take a advantage of this?

            Maybe they don't know that their data is being used and sold.

            Guess that is why I am asking.

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Whitehead" <gw333@...> wrote:

            > Perhaps WU doesn't realize their data is being used and sold.

          • Chris Mattingly
            Message 5 of 7 , May 4, 2010
              I just browsed the T & C on WU, and commercial use is prohibited.

              Sounds like the app should either be free or at least paying some kickback to WU.

              Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

              From: "JoeBrown3" <joe@...>
              Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 02:25:40 -0000
              To: <wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com>
              Subject: [wuhu_software_group] Re: BlackBerry App - Weather Underground

              The situation makes me wonder. Do they know? Or have they missed out on understanding what they have done? They promote themselves with web references that users can use, and otherwise seem to be trying to capitalize on there opportunities. So why don't they take a advantage of this?

              Maybe they don't know that their data is being used and sold.

              Guess that is why I am asking.

              --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, "Greg Whitehead" <gw333@...> wrote:

              > Perhaps WU doesn't realize their data is being used and sold.

            • Alan Steremberg
              Message 6 of 7 , May 4, 2010
                We have a number of apps on different platforms that are licensed. We should do something better about promoting the licensed apps, we will look into this.

                Thanks,
                Alan
                Weather Underground

                From: "JoeBrown3" <joe@...>