Re: [wuhu_software_group] 6250 Vantage Vue by Davis - Minimum Purchase

  • cookevilleweatherguy@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 22 , May 3, 2010
      Alan:

      Yes...they are 'hiccups' with the USB version according to many who have it.

      -Michael

      From: Alan Myers <doodledad0214@...>
      Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 12:16:15 -0700 (PDT)
      To: <wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [wuhu_software_group] 6250 Vantage Vue by Davis - Minimum Purchase

      I am also going to purchase a Vantage Vue to replace a LaCrosse unit. Is the Serial version of Weatherlink better than the USB version?

      Alan Myers

      From: "JoeBrown3" <joe@...>
      Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 18:54:17 -0000
      To: <wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com>

      I am looking at upgrading from my WS2310 to the Davis Vantage Vue 6250, but I can't figure out what parts I need to be functional in posting to wunderground.

      Will the base unit connect to a PC, or does one have to have the data logger?

      Do I need the Davis software, or will WUHU or something similar do the trick?

      I can just barely afford the base unit, but don't need it if I have to have all the other stuff to make it work.

    • JoeBrown3
      Message 2 of 22 , May 3, 2010
        Thanks, Don. Cost is always an issue when its a hobby. Your suggestion is a good one - much less expensive and WUHU compatible. I am just blown away by all of the little parts and pieces that have to be installed and tuned. Anyone have any experience with this? Would you mount everything to the same pole (except for the rain guage and thermo-hygro, or course)?

        Then again, if anything goes wrong with the Davis, the whole thing has to be replaced. And does anyone have any suggestions for pole materials? Will a galvanized pipe become a lightening attractor?

        Joe

        > If cost is the issue and you just want an upgrade you might take a look at
        > the Oregon Scientific WMR968. It's a very good station and compatible with
        > WUHU.
        >
        > Don
        >
        > On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 11:54 AM, JoeBrown3 <joe@...> wrote:
        >

        > > I am looking at upgrading from my WS2310 to the Davis Vantage Vue 6250, but
        > > I can't figure out what parts I need to be functional in posting to
        > > wunderground.
        > >
        > > Will the base unit connect to a PC, or does one have to have the data
        > > logger?
        > >
        > > Do I need the Davis software, or will WUHU or something similar do the
        > > trick?
        > >
        > > I can just barely afford the base unit, but don't need it if I have to have
        > > all the other stuff to make it work.
        > >

        > --
        > The day Microsoft starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they start making
        > something that doesn't suck.

      • Greg Whitehead
        Message 3 of 22 , May 3, 2010
          You might get some ideas looking at this:

          Greg Whitehead
          Euchee, TN
          CWOP:  DW0148
          WU:  KTNEUCHE3/KTNTENMI2
          CoCoRaHS:  TN-MS-1
          WMR968/WS2315/WUHU

          Message 4 of 22 , May 3, 2010
            Thanks, Greg - That was helpful. I am going to have to think about this...

            Joe

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Whitehead" <gw333@...> wrote:

            > You might get some ideas looking at this:
            >
            > http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?board=88.0
            >
            > Greg Whitehead
            > Euchee, TN
            > CWOP: DW0148
            > WU: KTNEUCHE3/KTNTENMI2
            > CoCoRaHS: TN-MS-1
            > WMR968/WS2315/WUHU
            > Website: http://sites.google.com/site/tenmileweather/

          • Shawn Parker
            Message 5 of 22 , May 3, 2010
              You need the hardware but the Weatherlink software is unnecessary if you
              do direct serial mode with WUHU. I've had very little problems with the
              USB datalogger. However if you can't find a used datalogger and you
              have to go with a new you might as well get serial.

              On 5/3/2010 3:08 PM, cookevilleweatherguy@... wrote:

              > You will need the WeatherLink software/hardware to connect to the Vue
              > console which will, in turn, connect to your PC. I recommend the
              > serial Weatherlink (6510SER)....
              >
              > I was given the Vue as a Christmas present purchased WL later. What I
              > did was leave my Lacrosse hooked-up to computer until I got the WL
              > product.
              >
              > Go to ScientificSales.com click to get an email of their best price.
              > This will help out a lot.
              >
              > Yell if you have any questions.
              >
              > Michael

              > *From: * "JoeBrown3" <joe@...>
              > *Date: *Mon, 03 May 2010 18:54:17 -0000
              > *To: *<wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com>
              > *Subject: *[wuhu_software_group] 6250 Vantage Vue by Davis - Minimum
              > Purchase
              >
              > I am looking at upgrading from my WS2310 to the Davis Vantage Vue
              > 6250, but I can't figure out what parts I need to be functional in
              > posting to wunderground.
              >
              > Will the base unit connect to a PC, or does one have to have the data
              > logger?
              >
              > Do I need the Davis software, or will WUHU or something similar do the
              > trick?
              >
              > I can just barely afford the base unit, but don't need it if I have to
              > have all the other stuff to make it work.

            • Alan Myers
              Message 6 of 22 , May 3, 2010
                O.K. so just to be clear on this.....

                 I do use WUHU with my current LaCrosse 2310, and I intend to keep using WUHU with the Vantage Vue. I therefore DO NOT need to purchase the Weatherlink software?

                Thanks

                Alan

                You need the hardware but the Weatherlink software is unnecessary if you
                do direct serial mode with WUHU.  I've had very little problems with the
                USB datalogger.  However if you can't find a used datalogger and you
                have to go with a new you might as well get serial.

                On 5/3/2010 3:08 PM, cookevilleweatherguy@... wrote:

                > You will need the WeatherLink software/hardware to connect to the Vue
                > console which will, in turn, connect to your PC. I recommend the
                > serial Weatherlink (6510SER)....
                >
                > I was given the Vue as a Christmas present purchased WL later. What I
                > did was leave my Lacrosse hooked-up to computer until I got the WL
                > product.
                >
                > Go to ScientificSales.com click to get an email of their best price.
                > This will help out a lot.
                >
                > Yell if you have any questions.
                >
                > Michael

                > *From: * "JoeBrown3" <joe@...>
                > *Date: *Mon, 03 May 2010 18:54:17 -0000
                > *To: *<wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com>
                > *Subject: *[wuhu_software_group] 6250 Vantage Vue by Davis - Minimum
                > Purchase
                >
                > I am looking at upgrading from my WS2310 to the Davis Vantage Vue
                > 6250, but I can't figure out what parts I need to be functional in
                > posting to wunderground.
                >
                > Will the base unit connect to a PC, or does one have to have the data
                > logger?
                >
                > Do I need the Davis software, or will WUHU or something similar do the
                > trick?
                >
                > I can just barely afford the base unit, but don't need it if I have to
                > have all the other stuff to make it work.

                WUHU Download page:

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    wuhu_software_group-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    wuhu_software_group-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • JoeBrown3
                Message 7 of 22 , May 3, 2010
                  Alan:

                  From what I have seen here and researched online, it would appear that you DO need the datalogger, and the only way to get it is to buy the Weatherlink software package. But you do not need to use the software that comes in the package - you can then use WUHU. Other sites are promoting a software package called Personal Weather Station (or something like that) for posting data to wunderground, but it costs another $50.

                  If I am wrong here, I will appreciate being corrected!

                  Joe

                  --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Alan Myers <doodledad0214@...> wrote:

                  > O.K. so just to be clear on this.....
                  >
                  >  I do use WUHU with my current LaCrosse 2310, and I intend to keep using WUHU with the Vantage Vue. I therefore DO NOT need to purchase the Weatherlink software?
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  >
                  > Alan
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Shawn Parker
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 3, 2010
                    Software comes with the retail datalogger but you don't need to use it.
                    Datalogger hardware is definitely needed though.

                  • Alan Myers
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 8, 2010

                      Has anyone ever dealt with Archer Trading Post? www.archertradingpost.com They have Davis Vantage Vue's for $263.00, which is the cheapest I have seen anywhere.

                      Thanks

                      Alan

                    • cookevilleweatherguy@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 8, 2010
                        Holy Cow Alan...that is excellent. I've heard of Archer, but never bought anything from them.

                        My parents purchase items from the marine supplier Overtons & they sell the Davis VV for 399...that is a healthy profit margin! :)

                        From: Alan Myers <doodledad0214@...>
                        Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 06:59:23 -0700 (PDT)
                        To: <wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com>
                        Subject: [wuhu_software_group] Vantage Vue purchase

                        Message 11 of 22 , May 8, 2010
                          Hey Alan:

                          Scientific Sales has it for 262.99 now..just got an email from them.

                          ScientificSales.com

                          I have done business with them & very impressed with ship times & communication.

                          From: Alan Myers <doodledad0214@...>
                          Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 06:59:23 -0700 (PDT)
                          To: <wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com>

                          Message 12 of 22 , May 8, 2010
                            OK Thanks!

                            From: Alan Myers <doodledad0214@ yahoo.com>
                            Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 06:59:23 -0700 (PDT)
                            To: <wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com>

                            Message 13 of 22 , May 8, 2010
                              So I finally pulled the trigger and just bought a Vue from Scientific Sales. Thanks again for the heads up.

                              I can't wait til it shows up!

                              From: Alan Myers <doodledad0214@ yahoo.com>
                              Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 06:59:23 -0700 (PDT)
                              To: <wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com>

                              Message 14 of 22 , May 8, 2010
                                Way to go Alan...you'll be very happy with it. Works right out of the box with minimal assembly...maybe 3 or 4 steps...

                                Let me know if you have any additional questions.

                                -Michael D

                                From: Alan Myers <doodledad0214@...>
                                Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 08:42:42 -0700 (PDT)
                                To: <wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com>

                                From: Alan Myers <doodledad0214@ yahoo.com>
                                Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 06:59:23 -0700 (PDT)
                                To: <wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com>

                                Message 15 of 22 , May 8, 2010
                                  You'll be tickled pink. Mine kicks the snot out of my old Lacrosse WS-3610!

                                  On 5/8/2010 11:42 AM, Alan Myers wrote:
                                  > So I finally pulled the trigger and just bought a Vue from Scientific
                                  > Sales. Thanks again for the heads up.
                                  > I can't wait til it shows up!
                                  > Alan

                                • Jaye Ellen
                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 8, 2010
                                    Please define "Kicks the snot ..." ... I may follow your lead !!!

                                    Jaye Ellen KTNGALLA2

                                    On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Shawn Parker <kamakzie@...> wrote:

                                    You'll be tickled pink. Mine kicks the snot out of my old Lacrosse WS-3610!

                                    On 5/8/2010 11:42 AM, Alan Myers wrote:
                                    > So I finally pulled the trigger and just bought a Vue from Scientific
                                    > Sales. Thanks again for the heads up.
                                    > I can't wait til it shows up!
                                    > Alan

                                  • drifter17536
                                    Message 17 of 22 , May 9, 2010
                                      Is that price including the Data Logger and Weatherlink software?

                                      Message 18 of 22 , May 9, 2010
                                        Definitely not. That price would be the indoor receiver and outdoor iss (internal sensor suite)...the WL software & data logger runs around 120.

                                        From: "drifter17536" <drifter17536@...>
                                        Date: Sun, 09 May 2010 21:20:57 -0000
                                        To: <wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com>
                                        Subject: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Vantage Vue purchase