Re: [wuhu_software_group] Time to upgrade?

  • Joe Sulkowski
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 5, 2010
      I bought a usb to serial connection from Best Buy over a year ago for about $35 and had no problems with my Oregon Scientific 968. WUHU works alone with it. The only drawback if you want to call it that is you have to manually change the time when the time changes. I love mine.

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 5, 2010
        Hi Bob,

        The Lacrosse console will only display data from the Lacrosse sensors.  I believe that it's the same thing with the other brands as well.  If you wanted to keep the Lacrosse console in operation, simply leave the sensors in place.  Instead of having the Lacrosse station uploading the data to the web, connect the other system to the computer.

        If all that you are looking for is a second console, you can buy secondary Lacrosse consoles.  Otherwise, I don't see any reason as to why the systems couldn't co-exist...

        Jon G.

        From: Bob Tyszka <baluncru@...>
        To: "WUHU" <wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com>
        Date: Friday, March 5, 2010, 11:44 AM

        --
        Jon G.

        "Even youths grow tired and weary,and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles"  Isaiah 40:30-31
      • KNHBRIST1
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 6, 2010
          Bob, huge price difference between the two. As for the WMR968, I put one up at our local elementary school a couple years ago, back when WUHU started working with this unit...LOL. It gets almost no attention what so ever and has been working just fine. I am not happy with the humidity readings while temps are around zero, but I have that same issue with the my WS-2310.
          So if you are looking for a completely wireless unit,separate sensors, low cost, reliable and needs very little attention, then the WMR968 may be a good choice.
          I have had my LaCrosse WS-2310 now for 7 years, I will say I definitely got my moneys worth out of it. I do think that I may some day have to replace it and the WMR968 is on the list of potential replacements.
          I have no experience with the Davis units, too expensive for me. All I can say is that through out different forums, there always seem to be large numbers of issues with the Davis Units. To be fair, this could be because there are large numbers of these units out there.
          I also don't like the fact that you need to buy the data logger stuff in addition to the unit. I have read too many times of folks purchasing the unit based on the sale price only to find out after, that they need to buy more stuff. Yes, uneducated consumers, but just my 2 cents.
          Steve

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Bob Tyszka <baluncru@...> wrote:

          > I have a LaCrosse WS2308, it is working fine, but I am considering
          > upgrading to an all wireless station. I am considering the Oregon
          > Scientific WMR968 and the Davis Vantage 2 Pro.
          >
          > I know that many of you have one or the other of these stations,
          > what are the Pro's and Con's of each? What do I need to connect to a
          > Windows XP machine via serial or USB? Can I use WUHU alone or do I need
          > to buy additional software? Is it possible to display the data on the
          > Lacrosse console as an additional display in another room, etc.
          >
          > I have looked at the Vantage Vue, but prefer a system with a
          > separate wind sensor.
          >
          > Thanks, and Happy Friday!
          >
          > *Bob Tyszka
          > California City, CA
          > CW9012 / KCACALIF5
          > *
          >
          > Click for California City, California Forecast
          > <http://www.wunderground.com/US/CA/California_City.html?bannertypeclick=bigwx>

        • Radu Eugen
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 6, 2010
            You are absolutely right, Steve ! I would like to have a Davis unit too but the price and just like you said the additional features are not quite at hand...
            Greetings, Eugen, Oradea, Romania...