Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Time to upgrade?

  • John Liss
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 5, 2010
      Thanks Rick good to know.

      Are they Lacrosse units?

      On 3/5/2010 1:16 PM, Rick wrote:
      You said to Correct you, so I will, I have TWO Consoles both receive updates from the same outside unit, in different parts of my house.

      Rick
      KOHWAPAK1
      http://twitter.com/wapakweathercom
      www.wapakweather.com

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Liss <john@...> wrote:

      Hey Bob,

      My two cents...

      The LaCrosse Series is the lower end of the spectrum hardware.  Good
      stuff if you don't need to be +/- 0.1 % on your readings.  Good enough
      for home.
      The Oregon Scientific is the next notch up from that.  Little bit better
      hardware.
      The Davis line is the lamborginies of weather stations.   Good
      hardware.  VERY good +/-'s for percentages on readings.
      (They are also very proud of their hardware price wise too)

      Personally I would recommend a dedicated box that DOES have a serial
      port (so you don't go down the USB driver road) and a station that has a
      Serial interface.

      The box itself.  Doesn't need to be much.  I have a P4 1.0 with 512Mb of
      ram 20Gb hd (I think might be smaller), running XP that collects data.
      Some people use older laptops... they work just as well.

      Talking to the weather station hardware:
      WUHU can stand alone for the LaCrosse Series and I believe the Oregon
      Scientific as well.
      The Davis line you will need the Data logging module (chunk of software
      that allows you to talk to the console)

      Uploading your data:
      Depends on what you want to do here.... You can upload, or not.
      You have the option of signing up or not with a bunch of weather
      collectors like weather underground.

      Displaying your Data.
      LaCrosse units (I believe someone correct me if I am wrong) only talk to
      one console/sensor at a time.  I am unsure about the others.
      Other rooms data.... well you can create webpages with WUHU using the
      actions that just requires a web browser.

      Lots more info here:
      http://www.lissproductions.org/wuhu_manual/

      On 3/5/2010 9:44 AM, Bob Tyszka wrote:

          I have a LaCrosse WS2308, it is working fine, but I am considering
      upgrading to an all wireless station.  I am considering the Oregon
      Scientific WMR968 and the Davis Vantage 2 Pro.

           I know that many of you have one or the other of these stations,
      what are the Pro's and Con's of each?  What do I need to connect to a
      Windows XP machine via serial or USB?  Can I use WUHU alone or do I
      need to buy additional software?  Is it possible to display the data
      on the Lacrosse console as an additional display in another room, etc.

          I have looked at the Vantage Vue, but prefer a system with a
      separate wind sensor.

      Thanks, and Happy Friday!

      *Bob Tyszka
      California City, CA
      CW9012 / KCACALIF5
      *

      Click for California City, California Forecast
      <http://www.wunderground.com/US/CA/California_City.html?bannertypeclick=bigwx>

      WUHU Download page:

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          wuhu_software_group-digest@yahoogroups.com
          wuhu_software_group-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Jon Golubiewski
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 5, 2010
        Bob, great summary!  Thx!

        >>Is it possible to display the data on
        the Lacrosse console as an additional display
        >>in another room, etc.

        Rick, I believe that you were responding to the Lacrosse units, right?
        To clarify a bit more...  The Lacrosse units CAN send data to two consoles if you choose to transmit the data wireless from the base station to the console.  The second console will simply receive the wireless info as well.

        There is a caveat, though...  By default, transmitting wireless data has the potential to significantly slow the data transmission rate (to conserve battery power).  However, there is a modification that you can perform that will allow you to transmit wirelessly at the wired rate (every 3-8 sec).  This allows you to (among other things) add a second console while retaining power to the remote sensor.

        There are two detailed write-ups here:

        Links

        La Crosse Hardware Modifcations

        Increase frequency of wireless transmissions to every 8 seconds.
        Modification instructions in Italian. No translation is currently available.
        http://www.fabriziosalvadori.com/modifica%20ws2300.htm

        Remote Thermo Modification
        How to Modify a Lacrosse Ws2300 for Frequent Wireless Updates
        http://www.wikihow.com/Modify-a-Lacrosse-Ws2300-for-Frequent-Wireless-Updates

        Jon G.

        On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 3:16 PM, Rick <cfr301@...> wrote:

        You said to Correct you, so I will, I have TWO Consoles both receive updates from the same outside unit, in different parts of my house.

        Rick
        KOHWAPAK1
        http://twitter.com/wapakweathercom
        www.wapakweather.com

      • Bob Tyszka
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 5, 2010
              Lots of good information out there if you are mechinically inclined.  I am still try to figure out how to load the bullets into the soldering gun, if you know what I mean!  8-D

              To clarify my original question, If I do get the OS or Davis WX station, would I be able to view the data on the old LaCrosse console.  The LaCrosse still works so why let it collect dust if I can use it in another part of the house.  I would use the OS or Davis console to connect to the computer and WUHU.

          Thanks for all the responses, they have been very informative!

          Bob T.

          Bob, great summary!  Thx!

          On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 3:16 PM, Rick <cfr301@wapakweather .com> wrote:

          You said to Correct you, so I will, I have TWO Consoles both receive updates from the same outside unit, in different parts of my house.

          Rick
          KOHWAPAK1
          http://twitter. com/wapakweather com
          www.wapakweather. com

          _

        • Joe Sulkowski
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 5, 2010
            I bought a usb to serial connection from Best Buy over a year ago for about $35 and had no problems with my Oregon Scientific 968. WUHU works alone with it. The only drawback if you want to call it that is you have to manually change the time when the time changes. I love mine.

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 5, 2010
              Hi Bob,

              The Lacrosse console will only display data from the Lacrosse sensors.  I believe that it's the same thing with the other brands as well.  If you wanted to keep the Lacrosse console in operation, simply leave the sensors in place.  Instead of having the Lacrosse station uploading the data to the web, connect the other system to the computer.

              If all that you are looking for is a second console, you can buy secondary Lacrosse consoles.  Otherwise, I don't see any reason as to why the systems couldn't co-exist...

              Jon G.

              From: Bob Tyszka <baluncru@...>
              To: "WUHU" <wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com>
              Date: Friday, March 5, 2010, 11:44 AM

              --
              Jon G.

              "Even youths grow tired and weary,and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles"  Isaiah 40:30-31
            • KNHBRIST1
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 6, 2010
                Bob, huge price difference between the two. As for the WMR968, I put one up at our local elementary school a couple years ago, back when WUHU started working with this unit...LOL. It gets almost no attention what so ever and has been working just fine. I am not happy with the humidity readings while temps are around zero, but I have that same issue with the my WS-2310.
                So if you are looking for a completely wireless unit,separate sensors, low cost, reliable and needs very little attention, then the WMR968 may be a good choice.
                I have had my LaCrosse WS-2310 now for 7 years, I will say I definitely got my moneys worth out of it. I do think that I may some day have to replace it and the WMR968 is on the list of potential replacements.
                I have no experience with the Davis units, too expensive for me. All I can say is that through out different forums, there always seem to be large numbers of issues with the Davis Units. To be fair, this could be because there are large numbers of these units out there.
                I also don't like the fact that you need to buy the data logger stuff in addition to the unit. I have read too many times of folks purchasing the unit based on the sale price only to find out after, that they need to buy more stuff. Yes, uneducated consumers, but just my 2 cents.
                Steve

                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Bob Tyszka <baluncru@...> wrote:

                > I have a LaCrosse WS2308, it is working fine, but I am considering
                > upgrading to an all wireless station. I am considering the Oregon
                > Scientific WMR968 and the Davis Vantage 2 Pro.
                >
                > I know that many of you have one or the other of these stations,
                > what are the Pro's and Con's of each? What do I need to connect to a
                > Windows XP machine via serial or USB? Can I use WUHU alone or do I need
                > to buy additional software? Is it possible to display the data on the
                > Lacrosse console as an additional display in another room, etc.
                >
                > I have looked at the Vantage Vue, but prefer a system with a
                > separate wind sensor.
                >
                > Thanks, and Happy Friday!
                >
                > *Bob Tyszka
                > California City, CA
                > CW9012 / KCACALIF5
                > *
                >
                > Click for California City, California Forecast
                > <http://www.wunderground.com/US/CA/California_City.html?bannertypeclick=bigwx>

              • Radu Eugen
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 6, 2010
                  You are absolutely right, Steve ! I would like to have a Davis unit too but the price and just like you said the additional features are not quite at hand...
                  Greetings, Eugen, Oradea, Romania...