Ham transmitter makes it rain?

  • Jerry Flanders
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 5, 2010
      When I transmit on my HF ham radio, my rain report goes nuts -
      reporting many inches of rain over a few hours of transmitting on a dry day.

      This is with a Lacrosse 2315 in the wireless mode.

      Today I got a 50 ft phone cable and connected it in the wired mode.
      Just finished and it is working with fast updates, so I know all
      appears well so far.

      Any of you hams out there been down this road before? Did changing to
      wired mode fix it or did you have to do more?

      I think the main problem was with 20 meters.

      Jerry W4UK
    • hl31943
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 10, 2010
        I had the same problem, tried RF clamp-on chokes and that didn't help, so I gave up. I'll try your solution and see if that cures my problem.

        73,
        Howard
        WB4GUD

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Flanders <jeflanders@...> wrote:

        > When I transmit on my HF ham radio, my rain report goes nuts -
        > reporting many inches of rain over a few hours of transmitting on a dry day.
        >
        > This is with a Lacrosse 2315 in the wireless mode.
        >
        > Today I got a 50 ft phone cable and connected it in the wired mode.
        > Just finished and it is working with fast updates, so I know all
        > appears well so far.
        >
        > Any of you hams out there been down this road before? Did changing to
        > wired mode fix it or did you have to do more?
        >
        > I think the main problem was with 20 meters.
        >
        > Jerry W4UK

      • Jerry Flanders
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 10, 2010
          I haven't been back on the air since I wired it up, so don't know yet
          if it works to stop the rain. I mostly do RTTY contests, and haven't
          worked one recently.

          The wiring was quick and easy - got a 50 ft standard phone "cord"
          from Wal-mart for $8 and had it going in 15 minutes. Sure was nice
          that they used common phone jacks for everything.

          I like the faster ~8 sec updates - wind direction and speed is more
          realistic now.

          GL

          Jerry W4UK

          At 10:42 AM 3/10/2010, you wrote:

          >I had the same problem, tried RF clamp-on chokes and that didn't
          >help, so I gave up. I'll try your solution and see if that cures my problem.
          >
          >73,
          >Howard
          >WB4GUD
          >
          >--- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Flanders
          ><jeflanders@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > When I transmit on my HF ham radio, my rain report goes nuts -
          > > reporting many inches of rain over a few hours of transmitting on
          > a dry day.
          > >
          > > This is with a Lacrosse 2315 in the wireless mode.
          > >
          > > Today I got a 50 ft phone cable and connected it in the wired mode.
          > > Just finished and it is working with fast updates, so I know all
          > > appears well so far.
          > >
          > > Any of you hams out there been down this road before? Did changing to
          > > wired mode fix it or did you have to do more?
          > >
          > > I think the main problem was with 20 meters.
          > >
          > > Jerry W4UK

          >WUHU Download page:

        • Tek Roo
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 10, 2010
            You can also connect each of the two wires to ground through a capacitor. You should be able to get away with a .01 microfarad, but if that doesn't work or the keep the gauge from working at all try .001 microfarads.

            Richard H. Brant

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "hl31943" <hlestes@...> wrote:

            > I had the same problem, tried RF clamp-on chokes and that didn't help, so I gave up. I'll try your solution and see if that cures my problem.
            >
            > 73,
            > Howard
            > WB4GUD
            >
            > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Flanders <jeflanders@> wrote:
            > >
            > > When I transmit on my HF ham radio, my rain report goes nuts -
            > > reporting many inches of rain over a few hours of transmitting on a dry day.
            > >
            > > This is with a Lacrosse 2315 in the wireless mode.
            > >
            > > Today I got a 50 ft phone cable and connected it in the wired mode.
            > > Just finished and it is working with fast updates, so I know all
            > > appears well so far.
            > >
            > > Any of you hams out there been down this road before? Did changing to
            > > wired mode fix it or did you have to do more?
            > >
            > > I think the main problem was with 20 meters.
            > >
            > > Jerry W4UK

          • n5ujj
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 11, 2010
              Hello fellows,

              I fixed the RFI with the square (2 U shaped) torriods on each line leading into the wireless transmitter. I wrapped each with as many turns I could load into the torriod - about eight each. I run 100 w on all HF bands and not problem since. Occassionally, I see a wind speed of over 100 mph when I'm not on the air. Not sure where that comes from.

              73's N5UJJ Jeff
            • Jerry Flanders
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 11, 2010
                Thanks for the tips, Jeff.

                You are still running wireless, then?

                Just to clarify: You have only two toroids, both are at the temp
                sensor box, one on each of the two lines coming from the rain sensor
                and the wind sensor?

                Where did you find the toroids?

                Jerry W4UK

                At 10:24 AM 3/11/2010, you wrote:
                >Hello fellows,
                >
                >I fixed the RFI with the square (2 U shaped) torriods on each line
                >leading into the wireless transmitter. I wrapped each with as many
                >turns I could load into the torriod - about eight each. I run 100 w
                >on all HF bands and not problem since. Occassionally, I see a wind
                >speed of over 100 mph when I'm not on the air. Not sure where that comes from.
                >
                >73's N5UJJ Jeff

                >WUHU Download page:

              • Rob Reab
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 11, 2010

                  Radio Shack has a couple different styles, fyi. - Rob

                  At 10:24 AM 3/11/2010, you wrote:

                  >Hello fellows,
                  >
                  >I fixed the RFI with the square (2 U shaped) torriods on each line
                  >leading into the wireless transmitter. I wrapped each with as many
                  >turns I could load into the torriod - about eight each. I run 100 w
                  >on all HF bands and not problem since. Occassionally, I see a wind
                  >speed of over 100 mph when I'm not on the air. Not sure where that comes
                  from.

                  >73's N5UJJ Jeff

                  >WUHU Download page:
                  >http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/Yahoo!
                  Groups Links

                • n5ujj
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 12, 2010
                    I'm using a total of 4 and I got them from Radio Shack. 2 on Wind phone line and 2 on Rain phone line. They are the type that snap together and can be ganged together. I have two ganged on each input line at the 430 Mhz wireless temp module. La Crosse WS-2316 if I remember correctly.

                    My Vertical Butternut is about 40 feet from the system. ~ 3/8 wave on 40M - no problems on any band. If I did, I'd use more of these and gang them on the input to the wireless module.

                    Let me know if you have more questions,
                    Jeff - N5UJJ

                    --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Flanders <jeflanders@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks for the tips, Jeff.
                    >
                    > You are still running wireless, then?
                    >
                    > Just to clarify: You have only two toroids, both are at the temp
                    > sensor box, one on each of the two lines coming from the rain sensor
                    > and the wind sensor?
                    >
                    > Where did you find the toroids?
                    >
                    > Jerry W4UK
                    >
                    > At 10:24 AM 3/11/2010, you wrote:
                    > >Hello fellows,
                    > >
                    > >I fixed the RFI with the square (2 U shaped) torriods on each line
                    > >leading into the wireless transmitter. I wrapped each with as many
                    > >turns I could load into the torriod - about eight each. I run 100 w
                    > >on all HF bands and not problem since. Occassionally, I see a wind
                    > >speed of over 100 mph when I'm not on the air. Not sure where that comes from.
                    > >
                    > >73's N5UJJ Jeff

                  • Dimitris
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 21, 2010
                      Hi
                      I use like this two chokes over to cat 5 Ftp,and interference problem stopped.

                      http://i72.servimg.com/u/f72/11/22/64/62/anemom16.jpg

                      Best regards from Greece
                      Dimitris

                      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "n5ujj" <n5ujj@...> wrote:

                      > I'm using a total of 4 and I got them from Radio Shack. 2 on Wind phone line and 2 on Rain phone line. They are the type that snap together and can be ganged together. I have two ganged on each input line at the 430 Mhz wireless temp module. La Crosse WS-2316 if I remember correctly.
                      >
                      > My Vertical Butternut is about 40 feet from the system. ~ 3/8 wave on 40M - no problems on any band. If I did, I'd use more of these and gang them on the input to the wireless module.
                      >
                      > Let me know if you have more questions,
                      > Jeff - N5UJJ
                      >
                      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Flanders <jeflanders@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Thanks for the tips, Jeff.
                      > >
                      > > You are still running wireless, then?
                      > >
                      > > Just to clarify: You have only two toroids, both are at the temp
                      > > sensor box, one on each of the two lines coming from the rain sensor
                      > > and the wind sensor?
                      > >
                      > > Where did you find the toroids?
                      > >
                      > > Jerry W4UK
                      > >
                      > > At 10:24 AM 3/11/2010, you wrote:
                      > > >Hello fellows,
                      > > >
                      > > >I fixed the RFI with the square (2 U shaped) torriods on each line
                      > > >leading into the wireless transmitter. I wrapped each with as many
                      > > >turns I could load into the torriod - about eight each. I run 100 w
                      > > >on all HF bands and not problem since. Occassionally, I see a wind
                      > > >speed of over 100 mph when I'm not on the air. Not sure where that comes from.
                      > > >
                      > > >73's N5UJJ Jeff

                    • Radu Eugen
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 21, 2010
                        Hello. I have been reading your post lately and I saw that you mentioned something about toroids or chokes that you put on the telephone connection cable between the wind sensor and the thermo hygro sensor to eliminate interference on 433 MHz.
                        Where can I find something like this and how efficient are they in eliminating interferences ?
                        Regards, Eugen, Oradea, Romania.

                        http://users. otenet.gr/ ~meteo/index. html

                        --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, "n5ujj" <n5ujj@...> wrote:

                        > I'm using a total of 4 and I got them from Radio Shack. 2 on Wind phone line and 2 on Rain phone line. They are the type that snap together and can be ganged together. I have two ganged on each input line at the 430 Mhz wireless temp module. La Crosse WS-2316 if I remember correctly.
                        >
                        > My Vertical Butternut is about 40 feet from the system. ~ 3/8 wave on 40M - no problems on any band. If I did, I'd use more of these and gang them on the input to the wireless module.
                        >
                        > Let me know if you have more questions,
                        > Jeff - N5UJJ
                        >
                        > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, Jerry Flanders <jeflanders@ > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Thanks for the tips, Jeff.
                        > >
                        > > You are still running wireless, then?
                        > >
                        > > Just to clarify: You have only two toroids, both are at the temp
                        > > sensor box, one on each of the two lines coming from the rain sensor
                        > > and the wind sensor?
                        > >
                        > > Where did you find the toroids?
                        > >
                        > > Jerry W4UK
                        > >
                        > > At 10:24 AM 3/11/2010, you wrote:
                        > > >Hello fellows,
                        > > >
                        > > >I fixed the RFI with the square (2 U shaped) torriods on each line
                        > > >leading into the wireless transmitter. I wrapped each with as many
                        > > >turns I could load into the torriod - about eight each. I run 100 w
                        > > >on all HF bands and not problem since. Occassionally, I see a wind
                        > > >speed of over 100 mph when I'm not on the air. Not sure where that comes from.
                        > > >
                        > > >73's N5UJJ Jeff

                      • Dimitris
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 21, 2010
                          Hi Eugen
                          This chokes like photo you can found at electronic components shops.
                          It make good job at interferences

                          Best regards from Greece
                          Dimitris