Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Data Upload Sizes

  • Rich Allen
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2010
      Web cam uploaders normally use FTP, so the image filesize should be the
      same as the bandwidth used, plus the few bytes for handshaking.

      roy.salisbury wrote:
      > OK.. well that helps alot. I can assume that the web cam images are only going to be slightly larger that the actual image size (base64 encoded).
      >
      > Thanks for the info.
      >
      > Roy
      >

      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "wuhu_software" <wuhu_software@...> wrote:
      >
      >> Roughly 500 bytes per Weather Underground and Weather Bug uploads.
      >>
      >> Say 80 per CWOP and AWEKS.
      >>
      >> Not sure about the web cam images.
      >>

      >> --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "roy.salisbury" <roys@> wrote:
      >>
      >>> I'm wondering what the average size of an upload to an internet weather site might be. Where I want to install a weather statin will be a remote location and will be using either satallite or cellular connections with limited bandwidth. I need to know what the average "packet" size is that gets sent to an online service.
      >>>
      >>> Also, if you have say a webcam that takes snapshots as well as teh basic/extended weather info. I'm not looking for complex info, just a basic bandwidth measurement. 10k per update, 1mb per update, 10mb per update...whatever it is.
      >>>
      >>> Thanks!

      > WUHU Download page:

    • Alan Steremberg
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2010
        There is also tcp/http overhead on top of that. So it will probably be a bit bigger?

        Use Charles to see the data stream on a normal connection and you can do more accurate math (and make sure nothing else uses the connection like windows update)
        http://www.charlesproxy.com/

        Alan

        --
        Alan Steremberg