Data Upload Sizes

  • roy.salisbury
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4 10:13 AM
      I'm wondering what the average size of an upload to an internet weather site might be. Where I want to install a weather statin will be a remote location and will be using either satallite or cellular connections with limited bandwidth. I need to know what the average "packet" size is that gets sent to an online service.

      Also, if you have say a webcam that takes snapshots as well as teh basic/extended weather info. I'm not looking for complex info, just a basic bandwidth measurement. 10k per update, 1mb per update, 10mb per update...whatever it is.

      Thanks!
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4 1:24 PM
        Roughly 500 bytes per Weather Underground and Weather Bug uploads.

        Say 80 per CWOP and AWEKS.

        Not sure about the web cam images.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "roy.salisbury" <roys@...> wrote:

        > I'm wondering what the average size of an upload to an internet weather site might be. Where I want to install a weather statin will be a remote location and will be using either satallite or cellular connections with limited bandwidth. I need to know what the average "packet" size is that gets sent to an online service.
        >
        > Also, if you have say a webcam that takes snapshots as well as teh basic/extended weather info. I'm not looking for complex info, just a basic bandwidth measurement. 10k per update, 1mb per update, 10mb per update...whatever it is.
        >
        > Thanks!

      • roy.salisbury
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4 1:42 PM
          OK.. well that helps alot. I can assume that the web cam images are only going to be slightly larger that the actual image size (base64 encoded).

          Thanks for the info.

          Roy

          > Roughly 500 bytes per Weather Underground and Weather Bug uploads.
          >
          > Say 80 per CWOP and AWEKS.
          >
          > Not sure about the web cam images.
          >

          > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "roy.salisbury" <roys@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm wondering what the average size of an upload to an internet weather site might be. Where I want to install a weather statin will be a remote location and will be using either satallite or cellular connections with limited bandwidth. I need to know what the average "packet" size is that gets sent to an online service.
          > >
          > > Also, if you have say a webcam that takes snapshots as well as teh basic/extended weather info. I'm not looking for complex info, just a basic bandwidth measurement. 10k per update, 1mb per update, 10mb per update...whatever it is.
          > >
          > > Thanks!

        • Rich Allen
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4 1:46 PM
            Web cam uploaders normally use FTP, so the image filesize should be the
            same as the bandwidth used, plus the few bytes for handshaking.

            roy.salisbury wrote:
            > OK.. well that helps alot. I can assume that the web cam images are only going to be slightly larger that the actual image size (base64 encoded).
            >
            > Thanks for the info.
            >
            > Roy
            >

            > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "wuhu_software" <wuhu_software@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Roughly 500 bytes per Weather Underground and Weather Bug uploads.
            >>
            >> Say 80 per CWOP and AWEKS.
            >>
            >> Not sure about the web cam images.
            >>

            >> --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "roy.salisbury" <roys@> wrote:
            >>
            >>> I'm wondering what the average size of an upload to an internet weather site might be. Where I want to install a weather statin will be a remote location and will be using either satallite or cellular connections with limited bandwidth. I need to know what the average "packet" size is that gets sent to an online service.
            >>>
            >>> Also, if you have say a webcam that takes snapshots as well as teh basic/extended weather info. I'm not looking for complex info, just a basic bandwidth measurement. 10k per update, 1mb per update, 10mb per update...whatever it is.
            >>>
            >>> Thanks!

            > WUHU Download page:

          • Alan Steremberg
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 4 2:00 PM
              There is also tcp/http overhead on top of that. So it will probably be a bit bigger?

              Use Charles to see the data stream on a normal connection and you can do more accurate math (and make sure nothing else uses the connection like windows update)
              http://www.charlesproxy.com/

              Alan

              --
              Alan Steremberg