Re: daily rainfall from 9am?

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 3, 2010
      Does the UK also use the 9am to 9am standard?

      It should not be a big deal to add this feature, probably through an INI file setting.

      Something that needs to be considered are the weather servers, they probably expect the 12am to 12am standard, so that should probably not change.

      This would probably only change the on-screen display?

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "craigoneil" <wobblycoates@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > :)
      >
      > Thanks for looking into it, but I'm not sure this needs to go very high
      > on your priority list.
      >
      > Cheers, Craig

      > <wuhu_software@> wrote:
      > >

      > > I see what you are saying now.
      > >
      > > Is this strictly an Australian issue?
      > >
      > > If other countries use different time ranges, do you have that
      > information as well?
      > >
      > > Hopefully there will be time this weekend to look at it.
      > >
      > > Thanks.
      > >

      > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "craigoneil" wobblycoates@
      > wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Thanks, I understand what you're saying, that it is possible to work
      > out
      > > > rainfall to 9am, but I'm not sure my question was clear.
      > > >
      > > > The NWS says "The information in the Daily Summary is valid for the
      > > > 24-hour period beginning at 00:00 LST and ending at 23:59 LST"
      > > > (http://www.weather.gov/asos/pdfs/aum-toc.pdf), so WUHU calculates
      > daily
      > > > rainfall correctly for US users by default.
      > > >
      > > > However, for example, here in Australia and in the UK "daily
      > rainfall"
      > > > is from 9am to 9am
      > > > (http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/cdo/about/about-rain-data.shtml and
      > > >
      > http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climatechange/science/downloads/generation_o\
      > \
      > > > f_daily_gridded_datasets.pdf).
      > > >
      > > > So what I'm really asking is, do you think it's possible to have a
      > > > setting which allows us to modify the "daily rainfall" period to
      > match
      > > > the standard reporting period for our location?
      > > >
      > > > Cheers, Craig.

      > entry
      > > > boxes under the statistics.

      > how
      > > > much rain since 9am, you would enter 0 to 6 in the edit boxes, then
      > > > select hours. This means you want to see that stats from 0 hours ago
      > > > (now) to 6 hours ago (9am).

      > they
      > > > will update when the next set of data is received from the console.

      > > > will see how much the rain total has changed and therefore the
      > amount of
      > > > rain since 9am.

      > the
      > > > updates from the station will not be shown in the stats. For
      > example,
      > > > lets say it is 3pm, and you wanted to see the rain change from 9am
      > > > 12pm, you could enter 3 to 6 for the hours. At that point, the stats
      > > > will not update until you change the "from" (3 in this case) value
      > back
      > > > to zero.

      > > > midnight. So if you enter from 0 to M, you will see the live stats
      > and
      > > > the data since midnight.

      > as
      > > > the start time, in which case the stats would always be updated
      > relative
      > > > to the absolute time rather than a relative time.

    • craigoneil
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 3, 2010
        As far as I can tell it does, yes. I'm basing this on these docs:
        • http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/library/factsheets/factsheet17.pdf
        • http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climatechange/science/downloads/generation_of_daily_gridded_datasets.pdf
        Regarding wearther servers, WU states "dailyrainin - [rain inches so far today in local time]" on their wiki, but as they're a US based I guess this assumes 0:00 to 0:00. CWOP/APRS says "P044 The rain since the local midnight (in hundredths of an inch)". So I think they're definitely expecting midnight to midnight.

        However, after talking it over with you I'm backtracking a bit, I'm not sure it's worth the trouble to make these changes. The flow on effects would mean that people's local values wouldn't match their weather server reports. I get the feeling that we've just adapted to using 0:00 to 0:00 and maybe it's best to leave it as it is.

        What do you think?
        Craig.

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 3, 2010
          I was thinking that maybe we could just do a mouse-over, where if you hover the cursor over the daily rain total, it might just show you the 9am to 9am version.

          Will give it some thought.

          Thanks.