Possible extend the temperature range of Lacross WS2316?

  • montanamuleman
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30, 2009
      I received the Lacrosse WS2316 Professional Weather Center as a gift. Very nice gift, but I kind of wish I could have researched and purchased a weather station on my own. This one is not returnable, so I hope it will work OK.

      One thing I noticed right away is that the low end of the outdoor temperature range is only -21.8 degrees. -21.8 can feel downright balmy some days in Montana. We dip near -40 a couple times a year.

      Is the limited temp range due to batteries on the wireless sensor? Will lithiums extend the range?

      I plan to mount the sensors in a Stevenson Screen. How about a probe type temp sensor with the probe exposed inside the weather screen and the transmitter housed in blue foam to help temper the batteries from the elements?

      Hope this question isn't an old one. I searched the messages quickly before typing. Thanks!
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 31, 2009
        Welcome to the group.

        Unfortunately there is no way to extend the temperature range on these consumer grade consoles. The higher end stations, like a Davis VP2 might be able to read that low but not many do.

        If you find a station that can read that low, let us know.

        I am also willing to add a new interface if you can find a device with a computer interface that will read temps that low.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "montanamuleman" <montanamuleman@...> wrote:

        > I received the Lacrosse WS2316 Professional Weather Center as a gift. Very nice gift, but I kind of wish I could have researched and purchased a weather station on my own. This one is not returnable, so I hope it will work OK.
        >
        > One thing I noticed right away is that the low end of the outdoor temperature range is only -21.8 degrees. -21.8 can feel downright balmy some days in Montana. We dip near -40 a couple times a year.
        >
        > Is the limited temp range due to batteries on the wireless sensor? Will lithiums extend the range?
        >
        > I plan to mount the sensors in a Stevenson Screen. How about a probe type temp sensor with the probe exposed inside the weather screen and the transmitter housed in blue foam to help temper the batteries from the elements?
        >
        > Hope this question isn't an old one. I searched the messages quickly before typing. Thanks!

      • Radu Eugen
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 31, 2009
          It is a pretty good weather station if you don't have high expectations. If the temperature drops below it's limits it will show you ofl (off limits). As far as I know the modell la crosse 3610 has a low temperature limit up to -40 degrees. I have 2 lc 2300 and 2350 with limitations up to -22*F but in my country rarely the temperature drops below -10*C.
          And you cannot do anything to extend the limits of your outside sensor but you have the possibility to wire the station and the batteries won't represent a problem any longer, plus you have a transmission frequency of 9 seconds.
          Happy New Year and regards, Eugen, Oradea, Romania, Europe.