Re: Lacrosse 2810 anomometer vs OS WGR-968 anomometer

  • techguy2000
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 9, 2009
      You'll need to use something more accurate than these consumer grade pieces of equipment to check which is more accurate.

      I have a WMR-968 and a LaCrosse 2316 currently mounted on my house (the 2316 is like a 2315, except it uses wind cups instead of the evil turbine thing). The air speeds the two units show dance around each other, neither being consistently higher or lower than the other, so they're either reasonable accurate or are both inaccurate in the same way.

      I have a WMR-968 on another house that consistently reads low, but that unit is much older than the one on my current house. It's been in continuous use since (checking....) early 2002. I think in those 7.5 years I've had it lock up twice, both times being after an electrical storm. I believe it also still has the lithium batteries in it that I installed when it was first put up. When it locked up, I'd have to go up on the roof and unplug and plug back in the sensor wire from the sender.

      Something in the sender of the thermo/hygro unit went bad on that WMR system last year. The solar panels on the sender seemed to be working (they put out a voltage, anyway) and I replaced both the rechargeable batteries and the non-rechargeable batteries and it'd start working, but it'd go dead in a few weeks. I think something in the electronics of the sender was drawing too much power and the solar cells couldn't keep up.

      Cliff