Davis Vantage Pro2 install

  • azbolt
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 5, 2009
      Howdy, I've installed a Davis Vantage Pro2 for my mom and purchased the WeatherLink software and attachment to hook it up to the computer via USB. Seems to be working fine, except for the connection to WUHU. She WAS using at LaCrosse station hooked up via serial cable on COM1. Now that I've switched it to USB, there isn't really a COM associated with it and it seems to be required (when selecting the Davis Vantage Pro2 on the WUHU software, it still wants a COM selected). Does that make sense? If so, how do I associate the new station with the WUHU software on her computer when using a USB connection? Thanks for any insight!

      Kevin
    • Shawn Parker
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 5, 2009
        It should have a comport assigned to it by windows. Its more than likely
        com 3. Thats how I use WUHU with my Vantage Vue. I don't even both with
        the Weatherlink software since WUHU can upload data to many different sites.

        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 5, 2009
          That is true, and beware that this new virtual com port will not show up in the device manager (where you figure out the number) unless the device is plugged in.

        • chrisv78@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 5, 2009

            For what it's worth, my Vantage Pro2 is on COM 7.  You may have to just adjust the COM setting until you find out where it landed on your computer.

            Chris

            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 5, 2009

              Hi Gang:

              Over the past day or so I started getting WUHU log hits that my rain total is suspect (every 3 seconds!) in that it says 1.43 inches detected when average rain total is 41.53 inches (over past 10 minutes).  I took my rain bucket off and noticed a little dirt on the collector cups, but nothing out of the ordinary, but the error remains.  When I first noticed it I thought our Texas Blizzard yesterday may have caused it to stick, but it is beautiful outside today (and above freezing) so I woudl think it should have settled out.

              Any ideas?  The system has worked flawlessly since I got it in March.

            • H. Smith
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 5, 2009

                Did you happen to reset your rain total?

                You should do this when resetting the total:

                1) Enter tweak screen, check disable all rainfall reporting.
                2) Save settings button.
                3) Reset the rain total.
                4) Wait for an update from console.
                6) Click save settings button.

                A newer version of WUHU will automatically detect the reset rain total and will assume that the new total is the truth.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 5, 2009
                    I am guessing that somehow your console rain total was accidentally reset, about 1.43 inches of rain ago.

                    The messages are design to prevent spurious bogus data from getting in to your history locally and on the weather servers.

                    Eventually it will give up and accept the new data, be it right or wrong.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 5, 2009

                      After rebootnig the console everything is working again.

                      Thanks to all.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 5, 2009
                        Thanks all for the advice, I'll see if I can find which COM port it is on. I just assumed no COM port since it's USB.

                        Kevin

                        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "azbolt" <azbolt@...> wrote:

                        > Howdy, I've installed a Davis Vantage Pro2 for my mom and purchased the WeatherLink software and attachment to hook it up to the computer via USB. Seems to be working fine, except for the connection to WUHU. She WAS using at LaCrosse station hooked up via serial cable on COM1. Now that I've switched it to USB, there isn't really a COM associated with it and it seems to be required (when selecting the Davis Vantage Pro2 on the WUHU software, it still wants a COM selected). Does that make sense? If so, how do I associate the new station with the WUHU software on her computer when using a USB connection? Thanks for any insight!
                        >
                        > Kevin

                      • azbolt
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 20, 2009
                          I'm still having problems getting WUHU to recognize my moms new Davis Vantage Pro weather station. There is no COM associated with it when it is plugged in to the computer (running Vista 32bit) as it is USB, not serial. There are NO COM ports listed in the Device Manager, however, when I plug in the serial cable for the OLD LaCrosse weather station, a COM port pops up and is used. So, the question is, how can I bypass the necessity of a COM port when selecting "Davis Vantage Pro 2" as the option under "General Settings (You must be Stopped to change these settings)" on WUHU? Surely there are other USB Vantage Pro 2 users out there that have this working....
                          Thanks again for any additional advice anyone can give!

                          Kevin

                          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "azbolt" <azbolt@...> wrote:

                          > Thanks all for the advice, I'll see if I can find which COM port it is on. I just assumed no COM port since it's USB.
                          >
                          > Kevin
                          >
                          > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "azbolt" <azbolt@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Howdy, I've installed a Davis Vantage Pro2 for my mom and purchased the WeatherLink software and attachment to hook it up to the computer via USB. Seems to be working fine, except for the connection to WUHU. She WAS using at LaCrosse station hooked up via serial cable on COM1. Now that I've switched it to USB, there isn't really a COM associated with it and it seems to be required (when selecting the Davis Vantage Pro2 on the WUHU software, it still wants a COM selected). Does that make sense? If so, how do I associate the new station with the WUHU software on her computer when using a USB connection? Thanks for any insight!
                          > >
                          > > Kevin

                        • Wayne Thomas
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 20, 2009
                            I'm not too familiar with Vista's handling of COM ports but you should
                            be able to use the loopback adapter and WeatherLink to determine which
                            COM port you are pulling. Other than that
                            there may be some sort of issue with the driver version thats currently
                            in use and may require an update.

                            This link may help somewhat
                            http://www.davisnet.com/support/weather/faq/FAQs_WeatherLink.pdf

                            Hope this helps!

                            Wayne

                            www.smythweather.net
                            CW8217

                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 20, 2009
                              Did you install the Davis WeatherLink software?

                              That is probably a requirement for the virtual port to be created when you plug in the Davis USB.

                              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Wayne Thomas <kg4muc@...> wrote:

                              > I'm not too familiar with Vista's handling of COM ports but you should
                              > be able to use the loopback adapter and WeatherLink to determine which
                              > COM port you are pulling. Other than that
                              > there may be some sort of issue with the driver version thats currently
                              > in use and may require an update.
                              >
                              > This link may help somewhat
                              > http://www.davisnet.com/support/weather/faq/FAQs_WeatherLink.pdf
                              >

                              > Hope this helps!
                              >
                              > Wayne
                              >
                              > www.smythweather.net
                              > CW8217
                              >

                              > azbolt wrote:
                              > > I'm still having problems getting WUHU to recognize my moms new Davis Vantage Pro weather station. There is no COM associated with it when it is plugged in to the computer (running Vista 32bit) as it is USB, not serial. There are NO COM ports listed in the Device Manager, however, when I plug in the serial cable for the OLD LaCrosse weather station, a COM port pops up and is used. So, the question is, how can I bypass the necessity of a COM port when selecting "Davis Vantage Pro 2" as the option under "General Settings (You must be Stopped to change these settings)" on WUHU? Surely there are other USB Vantage Pro 2 users out there that have this working....
                              > > Thanks again for any additional advice anyone can give!
                              > >
                              > > Kevin
                              > >
                              > > -

                            • azbolt
                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 22, 2009
                                The WeatherLink software is installed and is set up to use USB (there are several other options, tcpip, serial, etc). I can test from there to see if the software sees the station and it does. I'll look through the FAQ that Wayne sent below and see if anything works there, if not, I'm going to uninstall everything and start from scratch. Thanks for the suggestions.

                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 22, 2009
                                  You might try installing the latest Davis software:

                                  WeatherLink for Windows Update