Heavy Weather - minize to tray? and wireless dongle dll

  • stbffr
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2009
      First - I'm new to the group. Just purchased the 2810 from Costco. I'm replacing a Oregon Scientific 968 - The anemometer keeps going out and requiring a trip up on the roof - not good in winter . Replacement anemometer is $75. A new weather station that has received good reviews is $80. Went with the replacement.

      Anyway - browsing the group and I'm learning a bunch. I do have a couple of questions, though.

      First, is there any way to have the Heavy Weather minimize to the system tray? I really don't want it sitting there running all the time. And, with the kids, it will get shut down regularly.

      Second - is there any way to utilize the dll used for the wireless dongle to have wuhu send weather data without using Heavy Weather? It is located at C:\Program Files\HeavyWeatherWV5\sHID.dll

      Also, here's the current station online.

      http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KCOLITTL16

      Thanks

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2009
        There are freeware programs out there that can force any application to be hidden to the tray (or system tray). Maybe another poster here can point you to a good one.

        As far as direct USB support goes, I would surely support it if that were possible. The DLL you mention provides a Human Interface Device USB connection to the device. While this could be useful, the data that is actually encoded in the console to computer conversation (protocol) is undocumented.

        Like all of weather stations out there, with the exception of Davis and Peet-Bros, the manufacturers refuse to give up their "proprietary" protocols to their station. My only guess is that they like to leave their options open in case they might one day develop a software program that they can charge for.

        The alternative to receiving this information is to reverse engineer the protocols. This can be a time consuming task. Personally, I can not devote the amount of time required or to invest in another station like the WS-2810, to make that happen.

        If you find someone that does eventually reverse engineer the protocol, and provides the open source code to the public, I can devote some time to implement it.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "stbffr" <steve@...> wrote:

        > First - I'm new to the group. Just purchased the 2810 from Costco. I'm replacing a Oregon Scientific 968 - The anemometer keeps going out and requiring a trip up on the roof - not good in winter . Replacement anemometer is $75. A new weather station that has received good reviews is $80. Went with the replacement.
        >
        > Anyway - browsing the group and I'm learning a bunch. I do have a couple of questions, though.
        >
        > First, is there any way to have the Heavy Weather minimize to the system tray? I really don't want it sitting there running all the time. And, with the kids, it will get shut down regularly.
        >
        > Second - is there any way to utilize the dll used for the wireless dongle to have wuhu send weather data without using Heavy Weather? It is located at C:\Program Files\HeavyWeatherWV5\sHID.dll
        >
        > Also, here's the current station online.
        >
        > http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KCOLITTL16
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Steve

      • Don