Christmas Present

  • Gulf Breeze
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2009
      Hi,

      I'm new to this group. I just purchased a LaCrosse 2316U Weather Station, for my son. He is very much into weather, and wanted a station so he could post his data on the internet.

      The station came with a CD of Heavy Weather Beta v2.0.

      Is there any other software that he will need to put his station online? Is WUHU software? Or just the name of this group? Also does he need anything in addition (software wise), to the basic station?

      I read a few of the messages, about the included phone cord, that comes with the station...do I need to change this out? And if so where can I purchase them from?

      I just want to make sure he has everything he needs to get going Christmas morning....Thank you all.

      Doug
    • Al Allum
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2009
        Doug, your 2316U is a wireless device.  No cord needed unless you want to bypass the transmitter.
        Al
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2009
          Hi Doug, I'm absolutely sure there will be plenty of guys to help you out with all the advices that you need. Wuhu is a software that you have to install on your computer to be able to send data on the internet, http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/. You have to hook the console on the computer in a serial port rs232, if you have one on the computer. If you will read the instructions of wuhu of how to use it you will find there everything you need to know. Read carefully the instructions of your weather station and try to install it respecting the advices given there.
          You can use the software that came with the station but many guys sending data on the internet with wuhu stopped using heavy weather.
          Good luck, Eugen Radu; Oradea, Romania.

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 1, 2009
            I'll just add that most of the folks here don't use Heavy Weather at all.  Using WUHU to send your data to Wunderground gives you access to it no matter where you are as long as you can get to the internet.

            The author of WUHU is also extremely responsive to requests and bug reports.  I don't think there's anything better for sending data to Wunderground, CWOP, AWEAKAs, and a few others.

            As for the phone cord that comes with the unit, I used it when I ran a LaCrosse and it was fine.  That station should also do wireless I believe.  The drawback to the LaCrosse are their slow update rates in wireless mode.  It's not really that slow but if you want to support the Rapid Fire feature on Wunderground you should use it in wired mode.

            This group is very helpful and there is a lot of knowledge here.  Any question you have can be answered by someone.

            Don

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 1, 2009
              Here is a link to the online manual
              http://www.lissproductions.org/wuhu_manual/doku.php
              Take some time and look it over. After reviewing, feel free to post any
              and all questions you might have.
              You have come to the right place to get your son online and updating
              live weather information for all to see.
              Best of all, it will not cost you anything, unless you need a serial to
              USB adapter.
              We look forward to hearing from you.