Windows Update Rainfall Change

  • Greggo
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 14, 2009
      I did the big windows update today. I had to reboot the computer when it finished. When the computer restarted, the rainfall on cwop and weather underground had changed. I have received 0.9 inches of rain since midnight. The cwop total in the past 24 hours is right and the wunderground daily total on the chart is right. However, the cwop since midnight total is 0 now and wunderground flash gauge display shows 0 rainfall now, too.

      Here is a sample of the cwop info:

      DW0148>APRS,TCPXX*,qAX,CWOP-1:@141818z3541.04N/08442.41W_207/000g003t064r004p094P090h96b10149eWUHU216WMR968SP.

      DW0148>APRS,TCPXX*,qAX,CWOP-2:@141830z3541.04N/08442.41W_207/000g000t064r000p094P000h96b10149eWUHU216WMR968SP.

      DW0148>APRS,TCPXX*,qAX,CWOP-1:@141837z3541.04N/08442.41W_207/000g000t064r000p094P000h96b10139eWUHU216WMR968SP.

      DW0148>APRS,TCPXX*,qAX,CWOP-1:@141845z3541.04N/08442.41W_207/000g000t064r000p094P000h96b10139eWUHU216WMR968SP.

      DW0148>APRS,TCPXX*,qAX,CWOP-3:@141847z3541.04N/08442.41W_207/000g000t064r000p094P000h96b10139eWUHU216WMR968SP.

      It's hard to read but I believe between the first and second set is where the restart occurred. This is probably because the 968 doesn't have a data logger, but it seems to me like the software would remember the daily rain stuff.

      Any idea why this might have changed? It's no big deal. I'm just curious.

      Oh, Dell computer (old), XP with SP3 I believe, and I updated WUHU the other day (1, 0, 216, 85).

      The other instance of WUHU I have running with the WS-2315 didn't change any data.

      968: http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KTNEUCHE3

      2315: http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KTNTENMI2

      cwop: http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxnear.cgi?call=DW0148

      Thanks,

      Greg Whitehead
      Euchee, TN
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 14, 2009
        I am pretty sure that for the WMR968, all rainfall calculations (daily, 24hr, hourly) are based off the rain total.

        What is the local time for 141818z and 141830z? I am not sure.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Greggo" <gw333@...> wrote:

        > I did the big windows update today. I had to reboot the computer when it finished. When the computer restarted, the rainfall on cwop and weather underground had changed. I have received 0.9 inches of rain since midnight. The cwop total in the past 24 hours is right and the wunderground daily total on the chart is right. However, the cwop since midnight total is 0 now and wunderground flash gauge display shows 0 rainfall now, too.
        >
        > Here is a sample of the cwop info:
        >
        > DW0148>APRS,TCPXX*,qAX,CWOP-1:@141818z3541.04N/08442.41W_207/000g003t064r004p094P090h96b10149eWUHU216WMR968SP.
        >
        > DW0148>APRS,TCPXX*,qAX,CWOP-2:@141830z3541.04N/08442.41W_207/000g000t064r000p094P000h96b10149eWUHU216WMR968SP.
        >
        > DW0148>APRS,TCPXX*,qAX,CWOP-1:@141837z3541.04N/08442.41W_207/000g000t064r000p094P000h96b10139eWUHU216WMR968SP.
        >
        > DW0148>APRS,TCPXX*,qAX,CWOP-1:@141845z3541.04N/08442.41W_207/000g000t064r000p094P000h96b10139eWUHU216WMR968SP.
        >
        > DW0148>APRS,TCPXX*,qAX,CWOP-3:@141847z3541.04N/08442.41W_207/000g000t064r000p094P000h96b10139eWUHU216WMR968SP.
        >
        > It's hard to read but I believe between the first and second set is where the restart occurred. This is probably because the 968 doesn't have a data logger, but it seems to me like the software would remember the daily rain stuff.
        >
        > Any idea why this might have changed? It's no big deal. I'm just curious.
        >
        > Oh, Dell computer (old), XP with SP3 I believe, and I updated WUHU the other day (1, 0, 216, 85).
        >
        > The other instance of WUHU I have running with the WS-2315 didn't change any data.
        >
        > 968: http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KTNEUCHE3
        >
        > 2315: http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KTNTENMI2
        >
        > cwop: http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxnear.cgi?call=DW0148
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Greg Whitehead
        > Euchee, TN

      • Greggo
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 14, 2009
          14 is the date
          1818z is 2:18 pm EDT
          1830z is 2:30 pm EDT

          I wish I could do a screen capture of WUHU so you could see the numbers. In the "Current" column rainfall 1hr is 0, rainfall 24hr is 0.98 and rainfall daily is 0.04 when in actuality, there has been 0.04 inches before midnight, and 0.94 inches from midnight until now.

          Oh, I think I forgot to mention in the previous post that I am running in the direct serial mode.

          > I am pretty sure that for the WMR968, all rainfall calculations (daily, 24hr, hourly) are based off the rain total.
          >
          > What is the local time for 141818z and 141830z? I am not sure.
        • KNHBRIST1
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 14, 2009
            Greg, you can do a print screen, paste it into Paint Brush and put it in the files section. Bring up the screen on your computer, Press and hold Ctrl and then press Prt Scrn. Open paintbrush and then edit paste. Save file and upload to file section here in the group page.
            Steve

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Greggo" <gw333@...> wrote:

            > 14 is the date
            > 1818z is 2:18 pm EDT
            > 1830z is 2:30 pm EDT
            >
            > I wish I could do a screen capture of WUHU so you could see the numbers. In the "Current" column rainfall 1hr is 0, rainfall 24hr is 0.98 and rainfall daily is 0.04 when in actuality, there has been 0.04 inches before midnight, and 0.94 inches from midnight until now.
            >
            > Oh, I think I forgot to mention in the previous post that I am running in the direct serial mode.

            > > I am pretty sure that for the WMR968, all rainfall calculations (daily, 24hr, hourly) are based off the rain total.
            > >
            > > What is the local time for 141818z and 141830z? I am not sure.

          • Rob Reab
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 14, 2009

              If you hold down the Alt key and hit prtscn, then open MS paint you can paste (cntrl v) the screen capture, save and attach here.

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 14, 2009

                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 14, 2009
                  That's great! I'll post the captured image in the photo section. :)

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 14, 2009
                    I had to reboot again and now it shows 0 for 24 hours. I'll post that pic too in my folder. This may be normal. If it is, it's ok. I'm just curious.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 15, 2009
                      Greg,

                      What is your WU ID and what date did the rain happen? Were uploads enabled at the time?

                      Thanks.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 15, 2009
                        Greg,

                        Have you at any time disabled the "Disable Rain Sensor" under the tweaks or had a message in the log about the rain sensor not reporting in?

                        > Greg,
                        >
                        > What is your WU ID and what date did the rain happen? Were uploads enabled at the time?
                        >
                        > Thanks.
                        >

                        > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Greggo" <gw333@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > 14 is the date
                        > > 1818z is 2:18 pm EDT
                        > > 1830z is 2:30 pm EDT
                        > >
                        > > I wish I could do a screen capture of WUHU so you could see the numbers. In the "Current" column rainfall 1hr is 0, rainfall 24hr is 0.98 and rainfall daily is 0.04 when in actuality, there has been 0.04 inches before midnight, and 0.94 inches from midnight until now.
                        > >
                        > > Oh, I think I forgot to mention in the previous post that I am running in the direct serial mode.

                        > > > I am pretty sure that for the WMR968, all rainfall calculations (daily, 24hr, hourly) are based off the rain total.
                        > > >
                        > > > What is the local time for 141818z and 141830z? I am not sure.

                      • Greg Whitehead
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 15, 2009
                          This happened yesterday, 10/14/09 after I restarted the computer.  It had been working wonderfully up to that point.  Nothing had been checked or unchecked.

                          Everything for the WS-2315 worked fine and didn't change.  This only happened with the WMR968.

                          Thanks,

                          Greg

                          Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2009 5:23 AM

                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 15, 2009
                            One more thing.  Everything is fine right now, but the computer has been on since last night.  As long as there are no restarts/reboots, it works wonderfully.
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 16, 2009
                              I will need to look at the problem further. I could see that if the rain sensor was checked, even temporarily, that could throw off the rain calculations. Will look in to it later.

                              Let me know if you see the problem again.

                              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Whitehead" <gw333@...> wrote:

                              > One more thing. Everything is fine right now, but the computer has been on since last night. As long as there are no restarts/reboots, it works wonderfully.

                            • Greg
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 16, 2009
                                After further investigation, I believe it must have something to do with one of the update files.  I've rebooted several more times and things seem to have settled out.  If it happens again, I'll let you know.  Thank you for your time and support!

                                Greg Whitehead
                                Euchee, TN
                                CWOP:  DW0148
                                WU:  KTNEUCHE3 and KTNTENMI2