Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Lacrosse cables and sensors

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 8, 2009
    Here's what I did....

    1) get a "blank 6-pin RJ11 (phone) connector from say Home Depot (comes in packs of
    ~25 I think).
    2) get a RJ11 connector tool - or borrow one.
    3) find at least a 2-wire phone cable (will be used as the power cable for the thermo
    unit, so length maybe important), cut off one end for now.
    4) strip cut-off end of cable and mount into 6-pin RJ11 connector using tool - use pins 1
    and 4 (see pic attached)
    5) cut off 2nd connector from cable (if there's one) - can't use it to connect to the
    thermo sensor as it will think it's now wired (not wireless)
    6) strip 2 wires from cable - noting which is + and - (as per RJ11 pin 1 = plus and pin 4 =
    minus.
    7) remove back cover of STR938
    8) connect new RJ11 connector to STR938 - see pic attached
    9) test there's voltage across the two stripped wires (~2 - 3+ volts) - if nothing then
    the connection to the RJ11 connector could be the issue (rebuild it), or the STR938 unit
    is dead - try allowing the solar to recharge the battery (as few hours).
    10) if good connection and power then remount back cover of STR938
    11) remove cover from WS23xx thermo unit.
    12) remove batteries from WS23xx thermo unit (for now).
    13) slide cable wires into a slot by battery terminals (at top of unit) - wires must
    physically mate/connect with the terminals - better solution would be to solder the
    wires to these terminals.
    14) reinsert batteries but add a insulator to one of the batteries so that it's not used -
    you're using the batteries to keep the cable connections mated.

    Note: thermo unit cover won't mate now - could cut a hole and pass the cable through,
    or cover with PVC tape.

    Any questions please let me know.

    -Mike