Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Lacrosse cables and sensors

  • Jerry Flanders
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 5, 2009
      Look up the specs on common cat-5 cable. I would expect high RFI
      immunity if you used it balanced as intended. I actually use a 80
      foot length of it to carry the HDTV signals from my DISH satellite
      receiver to my bedroom TV, and a second run for the stereo audio.
      Works well. Common RCA plugs at each end, and no apparent problem
      with the balanced-to-unbalanced transitions at each end.

      Common shielded wire may not be as good as properly connected cat-5
      in this regard - common shielded wire usually offers less than 100% shielding.

      Jerry W4UK

      At 08:30 AM 10/5/2009, you wrote:
      >Has anyone tried changing out the cables on the sencors on the
      >Lacrosse gear with something a little more imune to RF? I was
      >thinking of something like a shielded twin conductor wire like is used
      >in commercial audio mic cable.
      >
      >Lee
      >KC4ART
    • Jerry Flanders
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 5, 2009
        I should have also mentioned that I actually intended to wire up my
        Lacrosse 2315 with a run of cat-5 from the sensors to the console,
        but decided to keep it totally wireless after realizing what a nice
        conductor that cat-5 would provide for lightning, and the value of
        the electronics in the shack also hooked up to the wx computer. I
        will put up with changing those batteries, or maybe plug in a wall
        wart outside to substitute for the batteries.

        Jerry W4UK

        At 10:29 AM 10/5/2009, you wrote:
        >Look up the specs on common cat-5 cable. I would expect high RFI
        >immunity if you used it balanced as intended. I actually use a 80
        >foot length of it to carry the HDTV signals from my DISH satellite
        >receiver to my bedroom TV, and a second run for the stereo audio.
        >Works well. Common RCA plugs at each end, and no apparent problem
        >with the balanced-to-unbalanced transitions at each end.
        >
        >Common shielded wire may not be as good as properly connected cat-5
        >in this regard - common shielded wire usually offers less than 100% shielding.
        >
        >Jerry W4UK
        >
        >At 08:30 AM 10/5/2009, you wrote:
        > >Has anyone tried changing out the cables on the sencors on the
        > >Lacrosse gear with something a little more imune to RF? I was
        > >thinking of something like a shielded twin conductor wire like is used
        > >in commercial audio mic cable.
        > >
        > >Lee
        > >KC4ART

        >WUHU Download page:

      • lratcliff lratcliff
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 5, 2009
          Ok, I am not familure with the CAT5 cable, other than knowing what it
          is. How would I wire it up as ballanced. I understand what that
          means as far as RF feed lines, but not sure how to make it work in
          this application.

          Lee
          KC4ART

          On 10/5/09, Jerry Flanders <jeflanders@...> wrote:
          > I should have also mentioned that I actually intended to wire up my
          > Lacrosse 2315 with a run of cat-5 from the sensors to the console,
          > but decided to keep it totally wireless after realizing what a nice
          > conductor that cat-5 would provide for lightning, and the value of
          > the electronics in the shack also hooked up to the wx computer. I
          > will put up with changing those batteries, or maybe plug in a wall
          > wart outside to substitute for the batteries.
          >
          > Jerry W4UK
          >
          > At 10:29 AM 10/5/2009, you wrote:
          > >Look up the specs on common cat-5 cable. I would expect high RFI
          > >immunity if you used it balanced as intended. I actually use a 80
          > >foot length of it to carry the HDTV signals from my DISH satellite
          > >receiver to my bedroom TV, and a second run for the stereo audio.
          > >Works well. Common RCA plugs at each end, and no apparent problem
          > >with the balanced-to-unbalanced transitions at each end.
          > >
          > >Common shielded wire may not be as good as properly connected cat-5
          > >in this regard - common shielded wire usually offers less than 100% shielding.
          > >
          > >Jerry W4UK
          > >
          > >At 08:30 AM 10/5/2009, you wrote:
          > > >Has anyone tried changing out the cables on the sencors on the
          > > >Lacrosse gear with something a little more imune to RF? I was
          > > >thinking of something like a shielded twin conductor wire like is used
          > > >in commercial audio mic cable.
          > > >
          > > >Lee
          > > >KC4ART

          > >WUHU Download page:

          > WUHU Download page:

        • Jerry Flanders
          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 5, 2009
            You have 4 pairs of conductors. just pretend they are 4 shielded
            cables and use the same wire at each end as if it were the shield -
            for example, with a blue and blue+white pair, let the blue be the
            "center" conductor and the blue+white be the shield.

            Lets say you have 4 signal lines plus one ground to connect up
            between your devices. I would connect all the color+white lines to
            the ground and then use the colors for each of the 4 signal lines.

            In my HDTV application, I didn't need to connect the "shields" in
            common, but I don't think it will make any difference.

            Jerry W4UK

            At 11:34 AM 10/5/2009, you wrote:
            >Ok, I am not familure with the CAT5 cable, other than knowing what it
            >is. How would I wire it up as ballanced. I understand what that
            >means as far as RF feed lines, but not sure how to make it work in
            >this application.
            >
            >Lee
            >KC4ART
            >
            >On 10/5/09, Jerry Flanders <jeflanders@...> wrote:
            > > I should have also mentioned that I actually intended to wire up my
            > > Lacrosse 2315 with a run of cat-5 from the sensors to the console,
            > > but decided to keep it totally wireless after realizing what a nice
            > > conductor that cat-5 would provide for lightning, and the value of
            > > the electronics in the shack also hooked up to the wx computer. I
            > > will put up with changing those batteries, or maybe plug in a wall
            > > wart outside to substitute for the batteries.
            > >
            > > Jerry W4UK
            > >
            > > At 10:29 AM 10/5/2009, you wrote:
            > > >Look up the specs on common cat-5 cable. I would expect high RFI
            > > >immunity if you used it balanced as intended. I actually use a 80
            > > >foot length of it to carry the HDTV signals from my DISH satellite
            > > >receiver to my bedroom TV, and a second run for the stereo audio.
            > > >Works well. Common RCA plugs at each end, and no apparent problem
            > > >with the balanced-to-unbalanced transitions at each end.
            > > >
            > > >Common shielded wire may not be as good as properly connected cat-5
            > > >in this regard - common shielded wire usually offers less than
            > 100% shielding.
            > > >
            > > >Jerry W4UK

            > > >WUHU Download page:

            > > WUHU Download page:

            >WUHU Download page:

          • Rob Reab
            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 5, 2009

              If you’re rewiring to reduce RF interference, I would suggest shielded twisted pair cable. Conventional cat5 is not shielded. Can’t help you on the ‘balance’ issues.

              Ok, I am not familure with the CAT5 cable, other than knowing what it
              is. How would I wire it up as ballanced. I understand what that
              means as far as RF feed lines, but not sure how to make it work in
              this application.

              Lee
              KC4ART

              On 10/5/09, Jerry Flanders <jeflanders@...> wrote:

              > I should have also mentioned that I actually intended to wire up my
              > Lacrosse 2315 with a run of cat-5 from the sensors to the console,
              > but decided to keep it totally wireless after realizing what a nice
              > conductor that cat-5 would provide for lightning, and the value of
              > the electronics in the shack also hooked up to the wx computer. I
              > will put up with changing those batteries, or maybe plug in a wall
              > wart outside to substitute for the batteries.
              >
              > Jerry W4UK
              >
              > At 10:29 AM 10/5/2009, you wrote:
              > >Look up the specs on common cat-5 cable. I would expect high RFI
              > >immunity if you used it balanced as intended. I actually use a 80
              > >foot length of it to carry the HDTV signals from my DISH satellite
              > >receiver to my bedroom TV, and a second run for the stereo audio.
              > >Works well. Common RCA plugs at each end, and no apparent problem
              > >with the balanced-to-unbalanced transitions at each end.
              > >
              > >Common shielded wire may not be as good as properly connected cat-5
              > >in this regard - common shielded wire usually offers less than 100%
              shielding.

              > >Jerry W4UK
              > >
              > >At 08:30 AM 10/5/2009, you wrote:
              > > >Has anyone tried changing out the cables on the sencors on the
              > > >Lacrosse gear with something a little more imune to RF? I was
              > > >thinking of something like a shielded twin conductor wire like is
              used
              > > >in commercial audio mic cable.
              > > >
              > > >Lee
              > > >KC4ART

              > >WUHU Download page:
              > >http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/Yahoo!
              Groups Links

              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 5, 2009
                OK, I think I understand now.  I assume I can make one run to the rain and wind sensor, using a different pair for each, and split them out to go to the sensors, and the temp sensor on the other end.  Ok to leave the unused pairs open?

                Lee
                KC4ART

                On 10/5/09, Rob Reab <robreab@...> wrote:

                If you’re rewiring to reduce RF interference, I would suggest shielded twisted pair cable. Conventional cat5 is not shielded. Can’t help you on the ‘balance’ issues.

                Ok, I am not familure with the CAT5 cable, other than knowing what it

                is. How would I wire it up as ballanced. I understand what that
                means as far as RF feed lines, but not sure how to make it work in
                this application.

                Lee
                KC4ART

                On 10/5/09, Jerry Flanders <jeflanders@...> wrote:
                > I should have also mentioned that I actually intended to wire up my
                > Lacrosse 2315 with a run of cat-5 from the sensors to the console,
                > but decided to keep it totally wireless after realizing what a nice
                > conductor that cat-5 would provide for lightning, and the value of
                > the electronics in the shack also hooked up to the wx computer. I
                > will put up with changing those batteries, or maybe plug in a wall
                > wart outside to substitute for the batteries.
                >
                > Jerry W4UK
                >
                > At 10:29 AM 10/5/2009, you wrote:
                > >Look up the specs on common cat-5 cable. I would expect high RFI
                > >immunity if you used it balanced as intended. I actually use a 80
                > >foot length of it to carry the HDTV signals from my DISH satellite
                > >receiver to my bedroom TV, and a second run for the stereo audio.
                > >Works well. Common RCA plugs at each end, and no apparent problem
                > >with the balanced-to-unbalanced transitions at each end.
                > >
                > >Common shielded wire may not be as good as properly connected cat-5
                > >in this regard - common shielded wire usually offers less than 100% shielding.
                > >
                > >Jerry W4UK
                > >
                > >At 08:30 AM 10/5/2009, you wrote:
                > > >Has anyone tried changing out the cables on the sencors on the
                > > >Lacrosse gear with something a little more imune to RF? I was
                > > >thinking of something like a shielded twin conductor wire like is used
                > > >in commercial audio mic cable.
                > > >
                > > >Lee
                > > >KC4ART

                > >WUHU Download page:

                > WUHU Download page:

              • Jerry Flanders
                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 5, 2009
                  I was thinking about the run from the temp/hygro sensor to the
                  console. I would be surprised if the run to the rain/wind sensors
                  need RFI protection. Anyway, if you want to use it, just ignore any
                  unused pairs and always use both wires of a pair - otherwise,
                  immunity to outside interference is impaired. I buy this stuff at
                  hamfests (electronic flea-market) for around a penny per foot, and
                  wouldn't bother trying to economize with it.

                  BTW, Shielding is not required if both lines of a pair are tightly
                  twisted. Look up the specs on cat-5 crosstalk, etc. This is great
                  general-purpose stuff. I don't know if the cables that come with the
                  Lacrosse are twisted pairs. Probably not, but you could twist them
                  manually to see if it helps in an RFI situation.

                  Jerry W4UK

                • Rob Reab
                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 5, 2009

                    I was suggesting that shielded twisted pair would better protect against EXTERNAL RFI. Twisted pair alone, is designed to help eliminate crosstalk between the conductors as per the quotes below from CISCO.

                    “Twisted-pair cable is a type of cabling that is used for telephone communications and most modern Ethernet networks. … The pairs are twisted to provide protection against crosstalk, the noise generated by adjacent pairs.”

                    “Shielded twisted-pair (STP) cable combines the techniques of shielding, cancellation, and wire twisting. ….As specified for use in Ethernet network installations, STP reduces electrical noise both within the cable (pair-to-pair coupling, or crosstalk) and from outside the cable (EMI and RFI).

                    Rob

                    href="mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com">wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com

                    href="http://groups">http://groups

                    href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wuhu_software_group/join">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wuhu_software_group/join>

                    href="http://home.comcast">http://home.comcast

                    href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wuhu_software_group/join">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wuhu_software_group/join>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wuhu_software_group/join

                    href="mailto:wuhu_software_group-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com">wuhu_software_group-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                    href="http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/Yahoo">http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/Yahoo!
                    > Groups Links

                    >10/05/09 06:19:00

                  • Jerry Flanders
                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 5, 2009
                      How do you?

                      It claims "multi-camera support", but I can't get a clue how to make
                      this happen.

                      Is there a tutorial somewhere?

                      Thanks

                      Jerry W4UK
                    • Mike
                      Message 10 of 28 , Oct 7, 2009
                        You might be interested in my approach to keep the 23XX thermo/hydro unit powered -
                        I picked up a Oregon Scientific STR938 solar unit from a surplus store - The STR938
                        unit has a solar panel, a Ni-MH battery and 2 regular back-up AA Alkaline batteries.

                        I wired the STR938 unit to the battery connections on the WS23XX therm-hydro unit
                        The output from the (STR938) internal RJ11 (6-pin) is 3.67v.

                        -Mike

                        > I think a quick search of this forum will give you lot´s of results of people having
                        > success replacing cables with shielded-twisted pair cable.
                        >
                        > On that note, I´ve being thinking of doing this myself. I´ve been plagued with invalid
                        > wind speed readings on my 2317. I´ve been using rechargeable batteries on mine.
                        > My batteries ran out this recently. After replacing them, I´ve had no erroneous
                        > readings since. Weak batteries may have been causing the majority of the bad
                        > readings. I may be switching to disposables soon. FYI

                      • Rob Reab
                        Message 11 of 28 , Oct 7, 2009

                          Actually I was just thinking about looking around for an affordable set up like you described. Thanks for the info! - Rob

                          You might be interested in my approach to keep the 23XX thermo/hydro unit powered -
                          I picked up a Oregon Scientific STR938 solar unit from a surplus store - The STR938
                          unit has a solar panel, a Ni-MH battery and 2 regular back-up AA Alkaline batteries.

                          I wired the STR938 unit to the battery connections on the WS23XX therm-hydro unit
                          The output from the (STR938) internal RJ11 (6-pin) is 3.67v.

                          -Mike

                          > I think a quick search of this forum will give you lot´s of results of
                          people having
                          > success replacing cables with shielded-twisted pair cable.
                          >
                          > On that note, I´ve being thinking of doing this myself. I´ve been plagued
                          with invalid
                          > wind speed readings on my 2317. I´ve been using rechargeable batteries on
                          mine.
                          > My batteries ran out this recently. After replacing them, I´ve had no
                          erroneous
                          > readings since. Weak batteries may have been causing the majority of the
                          bad
                          > readings. I may be switching to disposables soon. FYI

                        • Jerry Flanders
                          Message 12 of 28 , Oct 7, 2009
                            Where did you get it? Price?

                            Is the store on the internet?

                            Jerry W4UK

                            At 12:57 PM 10/7/2009, you wrote:

                            >You might be interested in my approach to keep the 23XX thermo/hydro
                            >unit powered -
                            >I picked up a Oregon Scientific STR938 solar unit from a surplus
                            >store - The STR938
                            >unit has a solar panel, a Ni-MH battery and 2 regular back-up AA
                            >Alkaline batteries.
                            >
                            >I wired the STR938 unit to the battery connections on the WS23XX
                            >therm-hydro unit
                            >The output from the (STR938) internal RJ11 (6-pin) is 3.67v.
                            >
                            >-Mike
                          • Mike
                            Message 13 of 28 , Oct 7, 2009

                              From www.surplusgizmos.com - I walked into their retail store on Oregon and saw the STR938. You might like to call them (503-439-1249) and see if they still have some in stock (make sure you ask for the STR928 - it's the one with the single solar panel) and will ship - purchase price $5.

                              If you need the pin-out for the RJ11(6) power jack let me know.

                              -Mike

                              > Where did you get it? Price?
                              >
                              > Is the store on the internet?
                              >
                              > Jerry W4UK
                              >
                              > At 12:57 PM 10/7/2009, you wrote:
                              >
                              > >You might be interested in my approach to keep the 23XX thermo/hydro
                              > >unit powered -
                              > >I picked up a Oregon Scientific STR938 solar unit from a surplus
                              > >store - The STR938
                              > >unit has a solar panel, a Ni-MH battery and 2 regular back-up AA
                              > >Alkaline batteries.
                              > >
                              > >I wired the STR938 unit to the battery connections on the WS23XX
                              > >therm-hydro unit
                              > >The output from the (STR938) internal RJ11 (6-pin) is 3.67v.
                              > >
                              > >-Mike

                            • Mike
                              Message 14 of 28 , Oct 7, 2009
                                Forgot to say - make sure you also ask for the base (swivel) mounting unit.

                                > From www.surplusgizmos.com - I walked into their retail store on Oregon and saw the
                                > STR938. You might like to call them (503-439-1249) and see if they still have some in stock
                                > (make sure you ask for the STR928 - it's the one with the single solar panel) and will ship -
                                > purchase price $5.
                                >
                                > If you need the pin-out for the RJ11(6) power jack let me know.
                                >
                                > -Mike
                                >

                                > > Where did you get it? Price?
                                > >
                                > > Is the store on the internet?
                                > >
                                > > Jerry W4UK
                                > >
                                > > At 12:57 PM 10/7/2009, you wrote:
                                > >
                                > > >You might be interested in my approach to keep the 23XX thermo/hydro
                                > > >unit powered -
                                > > >I picked up a Oregon Scientific STR938 solar unit from a surplus
                                > > >store - The STR938
                                > > >unit has a solar panel, a Ni-MH battery and 2 regular back-up AA
                                > > >Alkaline batteries.
                                > > >
                                > > >I wired the STR938 unit to the battery connections on the WS23XX
                                > > >therm-hydro unit
                                > > >The output from the (STR938) internal RJ11 (6-pin) is 3.67v.
                                > > >
                                > > >-Mike

                              • Greg
                                Message 15 of 28 , Oct 7, 2009
                                  I have one of these units extra.  How would one go about wiring it up?  (Wiring for dummies -> me).

                                  Greg Whitehead
                                  Euchee, TN
                                  CWOP:  DW0148
                                  WU:  KTNEUCHE3 and KTNTENMI2
                                  OS WMR968 WUHU
                                  WS-2315 WUHU
                                  You might be interested in my approach to keep the 23XX thermo/hydro unit powered -
                                  I picked up a Oregon Scientific STR938 solar unit from a surplus store - The STR938
                                  unit has a solar panel, a Ni-MH battery and 2 regular back-up AA Alkaline batteries.

                                  I wired the STR938 unit to the battery connections on the WS23XX therm-hydro unit
                                  The output from the (STR938) internal RJ11 (6-pin) is 3.67v.

                                  -Mike

                                  > I think a quick search of this forum will give you lot´s of results of people having
                                  > success replacing cables with shielded-twisted pair cable.
                                  >
                                  > On that note, I´ve being thinking of doing this myself. I´ve been plagued with invalid
                                  > wind speed readings on my 2317. I´ve been using rechargeable batteries on mine.
                                  > My batteries ran out this recently. After replacing them, I´ve had no erroneous
                                  > readings since. Weak batteries may have been causing the majority of the bad
                                  > readings. I may be switching to disposables soon. FYI

                                • Mike
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Oct 8, 2009
                                  Here's what I did....

                                  1) get a "blank 6-pin RJ11 (phone) connector from say Home Depot (comes in packs of
                                  ~25 I think).
                                  2) get a RJ11 connector tool - or borrow one.
                                  3) find at least a 2-wire phone cable (will be used as the power cable for the thermo
                                  unit, so length maybe important), cut off one end for now.
                                  4) strip cut-off end of cable and mount into 6-pin RJ11 connector using tool - use pins 1
                                  and 4 (see pic attached)
                                  5) cut off 2nd connector from cable (if there's one) - can't use it to connect to the
                                  thermo sensor as it will think it's now wired (not wireless)
                                  6) strip 2 wires from cable - noting which is + and - (as per RJ11 pin 1 = plus and pin 4 =
                                  minus.
                                  7) remove back cover of STR938
                                  8) connect new RJ11 connector to STR938 - see pic attached
                                  9) test there's voltage across the two stripped wires (~2 - 3+ volts) - if nothing then
                                  the connection to the RJ11 connector could be the issue (rebuild it), or the STR938 unit
                                  is dead - try allowing the solar to recharge the battery (as few hours).
                                  10) if good connection and power then remount back cover of STR938
                                  11) remove cover from WS23xx thermo unit.
                                  12) remove batteries from WS23xx thermo unit (for now).
                                  13) slide cable wires into a slot by battery terminals (at top of unit) - wires must
                                  physically mate/connect with the terminals - better solution would be to solder the
                                  wires to these terminals.
                                  14) reinsert batteries but add a insulator to one of the batteries so that it's not used -
                                  you're using the batteries to keep the cable connections mated.

                                  Note: thermo unit cover won't mate now - could cut a hole and pass the cable through,
                                  or cover with PVC tape.

                                  Any questions please let me know.

                                  -Mike