Re: WUHU Errors (again)

    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 19, 2009
      That would suggest to me that either the console is damaged or the remote thermo is damaged.

      You might look for something easy, like a damaged antenna inside of each part. The antenna is a little coil looking thing. There are two in the console, one is to pick up the WWVB time signal, the other is for the remote thermo. I would imagine the one in the remote thermo looks similar to the one in the console so you might tear them both apart and compare.

      Short of that, you could try a borrowed console or remote thermo to figure out which is the problem.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Neil" <clarkn71@...> wrote:

      > Ran wired for all morning Updates1012/1012. No errors. So Now, what is bad ,sensor TX or console RX ??? Do not want to run wired mode. Everything is located in the same place for 3-4 years, no trouble. Distance between sensor and console same, 35-40 ft. No new electronics in house. Only change is the errors.
      >
      > Neil

    • KNHBRIST1
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 19, 2009
        It is also possible that a neighbor has something that is interfering with the wireless.

        > That would suggest to me that either the console is damaged or the remote thermo is damaged.
        >
        > You might look for something easy, like a damaged antenna inside of each part. The antenna is a little coil looking thing. There are two in the console, one is to pick up the WWVB time signal, the other is for the remote thermo. I would imagine the one in the remote thermo looks similar to the one in the console so you might tear them both apart and compare.
        >
        > Short of that, you could try a borrowed console or remote thermo to figure out which is the problem.
        >

        > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Neil" <clarkn71@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Ran wired for all morning Updates1012/1012. No errors. So Now, what is bad ,sensor TX or console RX ??? Do not want to run wired mode. Everything is located in the same place for 3-4 years, no trouble. Distance between sensor and console same, 35-40 ft. No new electronics in house. Only change is the errors.
        > >
        > > Neil

      • Neil
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 19, 2009
          -

          Live in the country.. no close neighbors
          Neil

          -- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "KNHBRIST1" <steve_03222@...> wrote:

          > It is also possible that a neighbor has something that is interfering with the wireless.
          > Steve

          > > That would suggest to me that either the console is damaged or the remote thermo is damaged.
          > >
          > > You might look for something easy, like a damaged antenna inside of each part. The antenna is a little coil looking thing. There are two in the console, one is to pick up the WWVB time signal, the other is for the remote thermo. I would imagine the one in the remote thermo looks similar to the one in the console so you might tear them both apart and compare.
          > >
          > > Short of that, you could try a borrowed console or remote thermo to figure out which is the problem.
          > >

          > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Neil" <clarkn71@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Ran wired for all morning Updates1012/1012. No errors. So Now, what is bad ,sensor TX or console RX ??? Do not want to run wired mode. Everything is located in the same place for 3-4 years, no trouble. Distance between sensor and console same, 35-40 ft. No new electronics in house. Only change is the errors.
          > > >
          > > > Neil

        • RickN
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 19, 2009
            Do you by some chance have wireless 2.4 Ghz devices like Phones close by or between the console and the outdoor unit? If you do it MAY be interfering with the signal between the console and the Outdoor unit.

            Rick
            KOHWAPAK1
            www.wapakweather.com

            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 19, 2009
              Another possibility is some new piece of computer equipment like a new monitor that is giving out RF. Try moving the console as far away as possible from the computer (and anything else) as possible.

              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "RickN" <cfr301@...> wrote:

              > Do you by some chance have wireless 2.4 Ghz devices like Phones close by or between the console and the outdoor unit? If you do it MAY be interfering with the signal between the console and the Outdoor unit.
              >
              > Rick
              > KOHWAPAK1
              > www.wapakweather.com

              > > That would suggest to me that either the console is damaged or the remote thermo is damaged.
              > >
              > > You might look for something easy, like a damaged antenna inside of each part. The antenna is a little coil looking thing. There are two in the console, one is to pick up the WWVB time signal, the other is for the remote thermo. I would imagine the one in the remote thermo looks similar to the one in the console so you might tear them both apart and compare.
              > >
              > > Short of that, you could try a borrowed console or remote thermo to figure out which is the problem.
              > >

              > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Neil" <clarkn71@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Ran wired for all morning Updates1012/1012. No errors. So Now, what is bad ,sensor TX or console RX ??? Do not want to run wired mode. Everything is located in the same place for 3-4 years, no trouble. Distance between sensor and console same, 35-40 ft. No new electronics in house. Only change is the errors.
              > > >
              > > > Neil

            • Neil
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 20, 2009
                -Thanks all
                NO OTHER eq near console. wireless about40 Ft normal. Makes no difference if it is 1 FT from sensor, no difference. Think I will use it for target practice and get a new outfit..

                Any comments on WS3610 or WS2317

                Thanks everyone

                Neil

                -
                - In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "wuhu_software" <wuhu_software@...> wrote:

                > Another possibility is some new piece of computer equipment like a new monitor that is giving out RF. Try moving the console as far away as possible from the computer (and anything else) as possible.
                >

                > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "RickN" <cfr301@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Do you by some chance have wireless 2.4 Ghz devices like Phones close by or between the console and the outdoor unit? If you do it MAY be interfering with the signal between the console and the Outdoor unit.
                > >
                > > Rick
                > > KOHWAPAK1
                > > www.wapakweather.com

                > > > That would suggest to me that either the console is damaged or the remote thermo is damaged.
                > > >
                > > > You might look for something easy, like a damaged antenna inside of each part. The antenna is a little coil looking thing. There are two in the console, one is to pick up the WWVB time signal, the other is for the remote thermo. I would imagine the one in the remote thermo looks similar to the one in the console so you might tear them both apart and compare.
                > > >
                > > > Short of that, you could try a borrowed console or remote thermo to figure out which is the problem.

              • Jaye Ellen
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 20, 2009
                  Hi ---
                  I have a WS3610 that I have been using wirelessly for many many years, replacing batteries when needed.
                  Jaye Ellen, KTNGALLA2

                  --
                  - Jaye Ellen -
                • Don
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 20, 2009
                    I had a 2317 and it was decent but I recently moved to a WMR968 and I really like it.  The solar cells make it so you don't need batteries and the update rate is  a lot higher than the 2317 in wireless mode.  You should be able to find one for around $200.
                    Don

                  • cookevilleweatherguy@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 20, 2009
                      Neil:

                      I have a 2317. While it has been a workhorse, the anemometer frustrates me. Still not bad for around a 100 bucks.

                      From: "Neil"
                      Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 19:01:34 -0000
                      To: <wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com>
                      Subject: [wuhu_software_group] Re: WUHU Errors (again)

                    • chrisv78@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 20, 2009

                        I used to have a 2310 (actually I went through 3 - and bought 2 extra systems just for parts because it was cheaper than replacing them with new sensors), but have since found out that it is really just a toy (sorry!).  I really got tired of replacing failed parts, having data that just was not accurate, and did nto like the slow updates of wind and rain.  I love my Davis unit, have upgraded with solar and UV data, and really only trust readings from similar ones.  VERY accurate.  Very easy to use.  And CWOP (as well as the other services) trust (and use) my data.  My philosophy is that if you are going to have a hobby, excel at it.  Save up and get a good weather station.

                        By the way, WUHU woorks great with it.

                        Chris

                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 20, 2009
                          I agree with Chris..saving up for a top of the line Davis system.

                          From: chrisv78@...
                          Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 21:03:33 +0000 (UTC)
                          To: wuhu software group<wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com>
                          Subject: Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: WUHU Errors (again)

                          I used to have a 2310 (actually I went through 3 - and bought 2 extra systems just for parts because it was cheaper than replacing them with new sensors), but have since found out that it is really just a toy (sorry!).  I really got tired of replacing failed parts, having data that just was not accurate, and did nto like the slow updates of wind and rain.  I love my Davis unit, have upgraded with solar and UV data, and really only trust readings from similar ones.  VERY accurate.  Very easy to use.  And CWOP (as well as the other services) trust (and use) my data.  My philosophy is that if you are going to have a hobby, excel at it.  Save up and get a good weather station.

                          By the way, WUHU woorks great with it.

                          Chris

                          NO OTHER eq near console. wireless about40 Ft normal. Makes no difference if it is 1 FT from sensor, no difference. Think I will use it for target practice and get a new outfit..

                          Any comments on WS3610 or WS2317

                          Thanks everyone

                          Neil

                          -
                          - In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, "wuhu_software" <wuhu_software@ ...> wrote:

                          > Another possibility is some new piece of computer equipment like a new monitor that is giving out RF. Try moving the console as far away as possible from the computer (and anything else) as possible.
                          >

                          > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, "RickN" <cfr301@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Do you by some chance have wireless 2.4 Ghz devices like Phones close by or between the console and the outdoor unit? If you do it MAY be interfering with the signal between the console and the Outdoor unit.
                          > >
                          > > Rick
                          > > KOHWAPAK1
                          > > www.wapakweather. com
                          > >

                          > > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, "wuhu_software" <wuhu_software@> wrote:
                          > > >

                          > > > That would suggest to me that either the console is damaged or the remote thermo is damaged.
                          > > >
                          > > > You might look for something easy, like a damaged antenna inside of each part. The antenna is a little coil looking thing. There are two in the console, one is to pick up the WWVB time signal, the other is for the remote thermo. I would imagine the one in the remote thermo looks similar to the one in the console so you might tear them both apart and compare.
                          > > >
                          > > > Short of that, you could try a borrowed console or remote thermo to figure out which is the problem.

                        • Don
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 20, 2009
                            Or if you want something that's better than the LaCrosse but not as costly as a Davis the OS systems are pretty accurate.  If you do get OS make sure it's one that WUHU supports like the WMR968.  Davis are of course extremely good but also quite costly if it's just a hobby.
                            Don

                            From: chrisv78@comcast. net
                            Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 21:03:33 +0000 (UTC)
                            To: wuhu software group<wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com>

                            I used to have a 2310 (actually I went through 3 - and bought 2 extra systems just for parts because it was cheaper than replacing them with new sensors), but have since found out that it is really just a toy (sorry!).  I really got tired of replacing failed parts, having data that just was not accurate, and did nto like the slow updates of wind and rain.  I love my Davis unit, have upgraded with solar and UV data, and really only trust readings from similar ones.  VERY accurate.  Very easy to use.  And CWOP (as well as the other services) trust (and use) my data.  My philosophy is that if you are going to have a hobby, excel at it.  Save up and get a good weather station.

                            By the way, WUHU woorks great with it.

                            Chris

                            NO OTHER eq near console. wireless about40 Ft normal. Makes no difference if it is 1 FT from sensor, no difference. Think I will use it for target practice and get a new outfit..

                            Any comments on WS3610 or WS2317

                            Thanks everyone

                            Neil

                            -
                            - In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, "wuhu_software" <wuhu_software@ ...> wrote:

                            > Another possibility is some new piece of computer equipment like a new monitor that is giving out RF. Try moving the console as far away as possible from the computer (and anything else) as possible.
                            >

                            > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, "RickN" <cfr301@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Do you by some chance have wireless 2.4 Ghz devices like Phones close by or between the console and the outdoor unit? If you do it MAY be interfering with the signal between the console and the Outdoor unit.
                            > >
                            > > Rick
                            > > KOHWAPAK1
                            > > www.wapakweather. com
                            > >

                            > > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, "wuhu_software" <wuhu_software@> wrote:
                            > > >

                            > > > That would suggest to me that either the console is damaged or the remote thermo is damaged.
                            > > >
                            > > > You might look for something easy, like a damaged antenna inside of each part. The antenna is a little coil looking thing. There are two in the console, one is to pick up the WWVB time signal, the other is for the remote thermo. I would imagine the one in the remote thermo looks similar to the one in the console so you might tear them both apart and compare.
                            > > >
                            > > > Short of that, you could try a borrowed console or remote thermo to figure out which is the problem.

                          • Neil
                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 20, 2009
                              <More info on the OS system--who makes it and where to buy, Please

                              Neil

                              - In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Don <don@...> wrote:

                              > Or if you want something that's better than the LaCrosse but not as
                              > costly as a Davis the OS systems are pretty accurate. If you do get OS
                              > make sure it's one that WUHU supports like the WMR968. Davis are of
                              > course extremely good but also quite costly if it's just a hobby.
                              > Don
                              >
                              > cookevilleweatherguy@... wrote:
                              > >

                              > > I agree with Chris..saving up for a top of the line Davis system.

                              > > *From*: chrisv78@...
                              > > *Date*: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 21:03:33 +0000 (UTC)
                              > > *To*: wuhu software group<wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com>
                              > > *Subject*: Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: WUHU Errors (again)
                              > >

                              > > I used to have a 2310 (actually I went through 3 - and bought 2 extra
                              > > systems just for parts because it was cheaper than replacing them with
                              > > new sensors), but have since found out that it is really just a toy
                              > > (sorry!). I really got tired of replacing failed parts, having data
                              > > that just was not accurate, and did nto like the slow updates of wind
                              > > and rain. I love my Davis unit, have upgraded with solar and UV data,
                              > > and really only trust readings from similar ones. VERY accurate.
                              > > Very easy to use. And CWOP (as well as the other services) trust (and
                              > > use) my data. My philosophy is that if you are going to have a hobby,
                              > > excel at it. Save up and get a good weather station.
                              > >

                              > > By the way, WUHU woorks great with it.
                              > >

                              > > Chris

                            • Don
                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 20, 2009
                                http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/product.asp?cid=2&scid=84&pid=83

                                I would look on Ebay as you can probably find one for around $200 or so.  Looks like the WMR968 is the only OS supported by WUHU but I could be wrong.

                                Don

                                --

                              • Brian
                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 20, 2009
                                  Also, if you use Bing.com (MSFT's new search engine), they have a Cashback program where you can save like 8% on one through ebay. It shows up as an "ad" at the top of the search results within Bing.

                                  Brian

                                • Greg Whitehead
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 20, 2009

                                    I looked at ebay but most were higher than ambient, plus ambient has excellent customer service.

                                    (the 968 RH sensor is not very good and I ended up getting a thgr122n as a substitute.  However, many folks have great success with their rh sensors).

                                    Greg
                                  • Greg Whitehead
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Sep 20, 2009

                                      This is a good price on a substitute sensor for the 968 (or an additional sensor.  the 968 has the capacity for three extra temp/rh sensors).
                                    • Greg Whitehead
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Sep 20, 2009
                                      • Jerry Flanders
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Sep 20, 2009
                                          What are the major differences in the data reported? My untrained eye
                                          can't see which one is better than the other. Different RH readings,
                                          I guess, but couldn't that be corrected for once you determine what
                                          corrections to apply?

                                          Jerry W4UK

                                          At 07:52 PM 9/20/2009, you wrote:

                                          >If you'd like to see a comparison, I have one of each (WMR968 and WS2315):
                                          >
                                          >WMR968:
                                          ><http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KTNEUCHE3>http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KTNEUCHE3
                                          >
                                          >WS2315:
                                          ><http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KTNTENMI2>http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KTNTENMI2

                                        • Greg Whitehead
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Sep 20, 2009
                                            The data is about the same.  The update rates are a little quicker with the 968 but the 2315 measurements are more precicse (for example, rainfall measurements is .02 inches vs .04 inches for the 968).  The 968 is solar powered and the sensors are independent of each other.  the 2315 is battery powered and sensors are wired into the temp/rh transmitter.  They both have +s and -s.  it just depends on budget and preference I suppose.
                                          • Don
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Sep 20, 2009
                                              For another country heard from the main reasons I like the OS is because you don't have to use wires to get quick updates and the solar cells make it so you don't need batteries.  Perhaps in less sunny climates you would, I don't know.  I know in So Cal we get plenty of sun.  As Greg points out you don't have quite the resolution with the OS if that's important to you.
                                              Don