Latest Windows Update and WUHU error messages

  • gw33340
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 10, 2009
      Well, I should have known better, but I ran the windows update that was showing this morning on my weather computer. It installed 5 updates and then had to be rebooted. On the restart, the WUHU had the error message: RUNTIME ERROR 217 AT 00021AEE. When I clicked OK it then said UNABLE TO CREATE CHART DIALOG. PROGRAM WILL TERMINATE.

      I've rebooted several times and still get the same error messages. I guess the next step is to try to uninstall the Windows updates. They were listed as security updates, so I don't know how important it is to have them installed.

      Anybody else run into this? Thoughts?

      Thanks

      Greg Whitehead
      Euchee, TN
    • gw33340
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 10, 2009
        Oh, one more thing. If I wait until the computer settles out after a restart, I can start WUHU manually with no error messages. However, this doesn't do me much good if it restarts after a power outage and I'm not home.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "gw33340" <gw333@...> wrote:

        > Well, I should have known better, but I ran the windows update that was showing this morning on my weather computer. It installed 5 updates and then had to be rebooted. On the restart, the WUHU had the error message: RUNTIME ERROR 217 AT 00021AEE. When I clicked OK it then said UNABLE TO CREATE CHART DIALOG. PROGRAM WILL TERMINATE.
        >
        > I've rebooted several times and still get the same error messages. I guess the next step is to try to uninstall the Windows updates. They were listed as security updates, so I don't know how important it is to have them installed.
        >
        > Anybody else run into this? Thoughts?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Greg Whitehead
        > Euchee, TN

      • Rob Reab
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 10, 2009

          There are utilities available that will allow you to delay the start of specific programs after system startup. Sounds like this may help in your situation.

          Here’s one: http://www.jockersoft.com/english/startupdelayer_index.php

          Oh, one more thing. If I wait until the computer settles out after a restart, I can start WUHU manually with no error messages. However, this doesn't do me much good if it restarts after a power outage and I'm not home.

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "gw33340" <gw333@...> wrote:

          > Well, I should have known better, but I ran the windows update that was
          showing this morning on my weather computer. It installed 5 updates and then had to be rebooted. On the restart, the WUHU had the error message: RUNTIME ERROR 217 AT 00021AEE. When I clicked OK it then said UNABLE TO CREATE CHART DIALOG. PROGRAM WILL TERMINATE.

          > I've rebooted several times and still get the same error messages. I guess
          the next step is to try to uninstall the Windows updates. They were listed as security updates, so I don't know how important it is to have them installed.

          > Anybody else run into this? Thoughts?
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Greg Whitehead
          > Euchee, TN

        • oldcessna21
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 10, 2009
            This feature is already included in WUHU.
            Simple open WUHU Configuration Data in your Program Files Folder.
            (use notepad, NOT word) add the following line to the General settings section:

            Startup Delay=XX

            where xx is the number of seconds to delay start of WUHU to allow your printer software to load first. I use 120 seconds, but most people can get away with 60 seconds or less.
            After saving the file, close it and restart WUHU. Everything should be fine.
            Dennis

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Reab" <robreab@...> wrote:

            > There are utilities available that will allow you to delay the start of
            > specific programs after system startup. Sounds like this may help in your
            > situation.
            >

            > Here's one: http://www.jockersoft.com/english/startupdelayer_index.php

          • alrjr2001
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 10, 2009
              Hi Greg I installed the same set of updates (hesitantly) yesterday as well but I must have gotten lucky & didnt have any issues, sounds like maybe something got corrupted during the install. I think from here on out I'll set a system restore point the install any updates/new software.

              Arnold In The Smokies
              DW1121

              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "gw33340" <gw333@...> wrote:

              > Oh, one more thing. If I wait until the computer settles out after a restart, I can start WUHU manually with no error messages. However, this doesn't do me much good if it restarts after a power outage and I'm not home.
              >

              > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "gw33340" <gw333@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Well, I should have known better, but I ran the windows update that was showing this morning on my weather computer. It installed 5 updates and then had to be rebooted. On the restart, the WUHU had the error message: RUNTIME ERROR 217 AT 00021AEE. When I clicked OK it then said UNABLE TO CREATE CHART DIALOG. PROGRAM WILL TERMINATE.
              > >
              > > I've rebooted several times and still get the same error messages. I guess the next step is to try to uninstall the Windows updates. They were listed as security updates, so I don't know how important it is to have them installed.
              > >
              > > Anybody else run into this? Thoughts?
              > >
              > > Thanks
              > >
              > > Greg Whitehead
              > > Euchee, TN

            • Wayne Thomas
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 10, 2009
                What is the problem with these updates lately?? About a month ago I ran
                what appeared to be a legit M$ update....turns out it may have not been
                so legit..but it completely wiped out the registry of my machine. Any
                attempts at rebuilding failed which led to drive replacement and
                extraction of data on the suspect drive. I have decided that everything
                appears to be working well with the currently installed hot fixes so
                unless there is a dire need for updating it won't happen here again :-)
                Makes you ponder the thought.."have the updates been hacked "

                Wayne
                www.smythweather.net
                CW8217

                alrjr2001 wrote:
                > Hi Greg I installed the same set of updates (hesitantly) yesterday as well but I must have gotten lucky & didnt have any issues, sounds like maybe something got corrupted during the install. I think from here on out I'll set a system restore point the install any updates/new software.
                >
                > Arnold In The Smokies
                > DW1121

              • gw33340
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 10, 2009
                  Well, I don't know what the deal is. After about 3 more reboots, it started working right again. Grrrr. Technology is wonderful until it doesn't work!

                  Thanks anyway,

                  Greg

                  --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "alrjr2001" <alrjr2001@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Greg I installed the same set of updates (hesitantly) yesterday as well but I must have gotten lucky & didnt have any issues, sounds like maybe something got corrupted during the install. I think from here on out I'll set a system restore point the install any updates/new software.
                  >
                  > Arnold In The Smokies
                  > DW1121

                • alrjr2001
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 11, 2009
                    I agree with that 100% makes one wonder if sometimes were better off without it, somehow it doesnt save a whole hell of a lot of time when you boil it all down but the toy factor is great:-)

                    Arnold In The Smokies
                    DW1121

                    --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "gw33340" <gw333@...> wrote:

                    > Well, I don't know what the deal is. After about 3 more reboots, it started working right again. Grrrr. Technology is wonderful until it doesn't work!
                    >
                    > Thanks anyway,
                    >
                    > Greg
                    >
                    > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "alrjr2001" <alrjr2001@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi Greg I installed the same set of updates (hesitantly) yesterday as well but I must have gotten lucky & didnt have any issues, sounds like maybe something got corrupted during the install. I think from here on out I'll set a system restore point the install any updates/new software.
                    > >
                    > > Arnold In The Smokies
                    > > DW1121

                  • Rob Reab
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 11, 2009

                      I don’t know what I’d do without the ‘toy factor’ you mentioned, both because I do computer support and have a fair share of ‘toys’ myself - Rob