Re: WUHU errors

  • clarkn71
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 6, 2009
      Had a radio shack Usb cable before the IOGear and had the same problem

      computer is Dell with windows XP and WS 2310 weather station

      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 6, 2009
        On the left edge, under all the statistics, there is a field called "Updates". It contains two numbers. These represent the number of successful communications / attempted communications.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "clarkn71" <clarkn71@...> wrote:

        > Lacrosse WS 2310
        >
        > do not what you mean about the stats and ratio of what
        >

        > Neil

        > > Under the stats area, what ratio are you seeing under the 'Updates' field?
        > >
        > > Have you tried connecting the console to a different computer to isolate whether the problem lies with the PC?
        > >
        > > What model of console are you using?
        > >

        > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "clarkn71" <clarkn71@> wrote:
        > > >

        > > > Old computer and older version of WUHU worked fine, for many years, only on batteries. New batteries. New IOGEAR and new driver today.
        > > > New computer and new version of WUHU. Nothing seems to make any difference. Have had this problem ever since new computer and latest version of WUHU. Connection to console ok
        > > >
        > > > Neil

      • clarkn71
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 6, 2009
          -

          Right now 1/15 and counting.
          uploads to CWOP WU and AWEAKS are the same
          2/2 74/74 2/2
          Have not used a different computer yet

          Neil

          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 6, 2009
            Ok, 1 out of 15 is bad for sure.

            Do you have something like a digital multi-meter to check the continuity of the wires in the cable? If you do, I can find the pin outs.

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "clarkn71" <clarkn71@...> wrote:

            > -
            >

            > Right now 1/15 and counting.
            > uploads to CWOP WU and AWEAKS are the same
            > 2/2 74/74 2/2
            > Have not used a different computer yet
            >
            > Neil
            >

            > -- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "wuhu_software" <wuhu_software@> wrote:
            > >

            > > On the left edge, under all the statistics, there is a field called "Updates". It contains two numbers. These represent the number of successful communications / attempted communications.
            > >

            > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "clarkn71" <clarkn71@> wrote:
            > > >

            > > > Lacrosse WS 2310
            > > >
            > > > do not what you mean about the stats and ratio of what
            > > >

            > > > Neil

          • clarkn71
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 6, 2009
              yes, I do Have a meter, please be specific as to what I have to test

              Now it is 38/198
              Neil

              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 7, 2009
                Below is the info for the pin outs on the DB-9 to RJ-11 cable.

                Another question I have is this, under the log screen, have you checked Console Logging (Show Console Com. Errors)? If not, try it. If you see error retrieving Storm alert, then this means there is a general problem with the console as Storm Alert is the first piece of data retrieved. If on the other hand you see the wind sensor, or some other variable that is a problem that might be a clue as to some other issue with the console.

                Are you running in wired or wireless mode? If wireless, have you tried moving the remote thermo sensor closer to the console? Perhaps this is not a problem with the console but it is a problem so far as wireless reception.

                ---

                The pin out for the RS-232 cable for the
                WS-2310/15/17:

                On RJ-11 Side (clip down, telephone style connector)
                From left to right looking down on the connector
                Color: Blue Brown Green White

                On the 9 Pin D-Shell (PC Interface)
                Signal: RTS RXD TXD DTR
                Pin...: 7 2 3 4

                So Blue -> Pin 7, Brown -> Pin 2 etc.

                Note that there is NO connection
                to the RS-232 ground (pin 5)!!!

                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "clarkn71" <clarkn71@...> wrote:

                > yes, I do Have a meter, please be specific as to what I have to test
                >

                > Now it is 38/198
                > Neil

                > > Ok, 1 out of 15 is bad for sure.
                >

                > > Do you have something like a digital multi-meter to check the continuity of the wires in the cable? If you do, I can find the pin outs.
                > >

                > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "clarkn71" <clarkn71@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > -
                > > >

                > > > Right now 1/15 and counting.
                > > > uploads to CWOP WU and AWEAKS are the same
                > > > 2/2 74/74 2/2
                > > > Have not used a different computer yet
                > > >
                > > > Neil

              • alrjr2001
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 7, 2009
                  I'm sitting at 1005 out of 1254 since my last re-start, this is pretty bad for me actually, I think maybe the batteries could stand to be refreshed in the console & transmitter unit (La Crosse 2317). I usually dont get to alarmed about a couple of comm errors here and there but Neils case does sound more severe. Perhaps remove the IOGear driver completely then restart & re-install.

                  Arnold In The Smokies
                  DW1121

                  > Under the stats area, what ratio are you seeing under the 'Updates' field?
                  >
                  > Have you tried connecting the console to a different computer to isolate whether the problem lies with the PC?
                  >
                  > What model of console are you using?
                  >

                  > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "clarkn71" <clarkn71@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Old computer and older version of WUHU worked fine, for many years, only on batteries. New batteries. New IOGEAR and new driver today.
                  > > New computer and new version of WUHU. Nothing seems to make any difference. Have had this problem ever since new computer and latest version of WUHU. Connection to console ok
                  > >
                  > > Neil

                  > > > Did you install the latest drivers from IOGear? If not, update the driver to the latest version from their website.
                  > > >
                  > > > Check cable, make sure that the rj-11 at the console is plugged in firmly, some users have reported problems there. Make sure serial port at PC is secure.
                  > > >
                  > > > Try to run the console power pack on the same outlet or power strip is the PC. If that all fails, try running the console on batteries for a bit to see if the problem goes away. If it does, you might have some type of grounding issue on the PC or outlet that it is plugged in to.
                  > > >
                  > > > Give all that a try and let us know if you see any improvement.

                • clarkn71
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 7, 2009
                    -I do get --an error occurred reading the storm alert from the console, So now what do I do. Running wireless, as long as I have had this. years and no trouble

                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 8, 2009
                      After you verify the cable I would try either running Wired mode or move the remote closer to the console to rule out a transmission error. At this point I am still leaning to a bad cable or console.

                    • Neil
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 18, 2009
                        Thanks for all the help from this group.Have tried everything that was suggested, still have these errors.. Have noticed when this happens the console looks like my sensor batteries are dead. Makes no difference if I replace the batteries or move the console near to the sensor. At some point in time it will start to work. I Think console or sensor is bad. Any more suggestions??
                        Thanks Neil
                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 18, 2009
                          Can you run in wired mode?

                          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Neil" <clarkn71@...> wrote:

                          > Thanks for all the help from this group.Have tried everything that was suggested, still have these errors.. Have noticed when this happens the console looks like my sensor batteries are dead. Makes no difference if I replace the batteries or move the console near to the sensor. At some point in time it will start to work. I Think console or sensor is bad. Any more suggestions??
                          > Thanks Neil

                        • KNHBRIST1
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 18, 2009
                            Neil, what do you mean that the console looks like the sensor batteries are dead? Are there any readings showing up on the console during these times?
                            The indoor temp as well as pressure, time, date would have nothing to do with the outdoor sensor.
                            Are there dashes(----) for every reading on the console during these times?
                            Steve

                            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Neil" <clarkn71@...> wrote:

                            > Thanks for all the help from this group.Have tried everything that was suggested, still have these errors.. Have noticed when this happens the console looks like my sensor batteries are dead. Makes no difference if I replace the batteries or move the console near to the sensor. At some point in time it will start to work. I Think console or sensor is bad. Any more suggestions??
                            > Thanks Neil

                          • Neil
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 18, 2009
                              -

                              If I can find the cable, I can run in wired, will have to look .

                              The console has --- for all the outdoor readings . indoor fine. Makes no difference how close the console is to the sensor 1 ft or 35 ft, comes and goes at will.

                              -- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "KNHBRIST1" <steve_03222@...> wrote:

                              > Neil, what do you mean that the console looks like the sensor batteries are dead? Are there any readings showing up on the console during these times?
                              > The indoor temp as well as pressure, time, date would have nothing to do with the outdoor sensor.
                              > Are there dashes(----) for every reading on the console during these times?
                              > Steve
                              >
                              > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Neil" <clarkn71@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Thanks for all the help from this group.Have tried everything that was suggested, still have these errors.. Have noticed when this happens the console looks like my sensor batteries are dead. Makes no difference if I replace the batteries or move the console near to the sensor. At some point in time it will start to work. I Think console or sensor is bad. Any more suggestions??
                              > > Thanks Neil

                            • KNHBRIST1
                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 18, 2009
                                Neil,
                                Sorry if this has already been suggested, but have you done a complete reset on the console?
                                I would change the batteries on the outdoor sensor, then change the batteries on the console, then press and hold the + key for 2 seconds and a short beep is heard. This may take a few minutes to sync up.
                                I would for sure try the cable vs. wireless.
                                If all this does not correct the problem, then it sounds like maybe you are correct and the sensor or possible the console is bad.
                                By any chance were there any thunderstorms in the general area when this all started to happen?
                                Steve

                                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Neil" <clarkn71@...> wrote:

                                > -
                                >

                                > If I can find the cable, I can run in wired, will have to look .
                                >
                                > The console has --- for all the outdoor readings . indoor fine. Makes no difference how close the console is to the sensor 1 ft or 35 ft, comes and goes at will.
                                >

                                > -- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "KNHBRIST1" <steve_03222@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Neil, what do you mean that the console looks like the sensor batteries are dead? Are there any readings showing up on the console during these times?
                                > > The indoor temp as well as pressure, time, date would have nothing to do with the outdoor sensor.
                                > > Are there dashes(----) for every reading on the console during these times?
                                > > Steve
                                > >
                                > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Neil" <clarkn71@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Thanks for all the help from this group.Have tried everything that was suggested, still have these errors.. Have noticed when this happens the console looks like my sensor batteries are dead. Makes no difference if I replace the batteries or move the console near to the sensor. At some point in time it will start to work. I Think console or sensor is bad. Any more suggestions??
                                > > > Thanks Neil

                              • Neil
                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 18, 2009

                                  Have changed ALL batteries reset console, but have not powered down the console for any length of time. Correction on the display, have ONLY time, date, pressure and the cloud display everything else missing . If I stop and restart WUHU, sometimes will start up right away. Other times it a few minutes??? Will try wired route tomorrow. No storms, only started with NEW computer. Had radio shack usb and changed to IO gear no difference

                                  Neil

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 18, 2009
                                    Neil,
                                    It doesn't sound like WUHU or the computer are the issue.
                                    Disconnect the cable from the console to the computer and you will more than likely see that the problem continues.
                                    You really should connect from the console to the outside sensor by wired method and see if that fixes the problem.
                                    You may have to re-sync when you plug the wire in.
                                    If the console itself is not showing all the data, then the problem is not with WUHU or the USB adapter.
                                    Steve

                                    --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Neil" <clarkn71@...> wrote:

                                    > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "KNHBRIST1" <steve_03222@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > Have changed ALL batteries reset console, but have not powered down the console for any length of time. Correction on the display, have ONLY time, date, pressure and the cloud display everything else missing . If I stop and restart WUHU, sometimes will start up right away. Other times it a few minutes??? Will try wired route tomorrow. No storms, only started with NEW computer. Had radio shack usb and changed to IO gear no difference
                                    >
                                    > Neil
                                    >

                                    > > Neil,
                                    > > Sorry if this has already been suggested, but have you done a complete reset on the console?
                                    > > I would change the batteries on the outdoor sensor, then change the batteries on the console, then press and hold the + key for 2 seconds and a short beep is heard. This may take a few minutes to sync up.
                                    > > I would for sure try the cable vs. wireless.
                                    > > If all this does not correct the problem, then it sounds like maybe you are correct and the sensor or possible the console is bad.
                                    > > By any chance were there any thunderstorms in the general area when this all started to happen?
                                    > > Steve
                                    > >

                                    > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Neil" <clarkn71@> wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > -
                                    > > >

                                    > > > If I can find the cable, I can run in wired, will have to look .
                                    > > >
                                    > > > The console has --- for all the outdoor readings . indoor fine. Makes no difference how close the console is to the sensor 1 ft or 35 ft, comes and goes at will.

                                  • alrjr2001
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Sep 19, 2009
                                      Neil the cable is just a regular 4 conductor phone cable, if you dont have an extra one you could use one from one of your phones to temporarily test the unit in wired mode.

                                      Arnold In The Smokies
                                      DW1121