La Crosse 2316U & WUHU Software

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 3, 2009
      Hello All,

      I am planning to buy the La Crosse 2316U which uses an USB connection and comes with Heavy Weather Pro. Will I be able to run the WUHU Software?

      Thanks,

      Tom
    • Norman E. Avila G.
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3, 2009
        Hi, yes indeed, I guess the USB conection is an adapter, you can use it directly via the serial port or with the HeavyWeather

        regards

        Norman E. Avila G.
        -------------------------------
        USA (415)  287-0310
        GUA (502) 2360-9950

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 3, 2009
          From reading the product description I'm under the impression that it connects directly into a USB port without an adapter. In the table of contents a PC USB connection Cable is listed but no adapter.

          Hi, yes indeed, I guess the USB conection is an adapter, you can use it directly via the serial port or with the HeavyWeather

          regards

          Norman E. Avila G.

          Hello All,

          I am planning to buy the La Crosse 2316U which uses an USB connection and comes with Heavy Weather Pro. Will I be able to run the WUHU Software?

          Thanks,

          Tom
          Give Back

          Get inspired

          by a good cause.

          Y! Toolbar

          easy 1-click access

          to your groups.

          Yahoo! Groups

          in 3 easy steps.

          Connect with others.

          .

        • Don
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 3, 2009
            I believe you will need to purchase a USB to Serial adapter if you want to run WUHU without running Heavy Weather.  In other words you would run WUHU in Serial  mode and wouldn't even need to install Heavy Weather.  Most of us(I think) use WUHU that way.  Some prefer to have the stuff you get with Heavy Weather but I've found uploading to Weather Underground gives me everything I could possibly want.

            Last I heard there are a few USB to Serial adapters that are known to work with WUHU and you could probably find them using the search option here.  Most of them should work but I've read a few people having issues with certain ones.

            Again, you don't need to do that if you want to run Heavy Weather as WUHU will upload the file that HW creates and doesn't really have to use the Direct Serial option.  It's just Heavy Weather is kind of a resource hog and having something running 24/7 that's like that might not be to your liking.  WUHU has a very small footprint.

            If anything I said didn't confuse you then great.  ;)  Ask questions if you want to know more.

            Don

            From reading the product description I'm under the impression that it connects directly into a USB port without an adapter. In the table of contents a PC USB connection Cable is listed but no adapter.

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 3, 2009
              Tom and Don, I have just bought several WS2316 and as I told you is the same Serial cable of the WS2315 and an additional serial to usb, so if you plan to go directly make sure have a com port and don´t use the adapter, even if u use it the adaptor will give you a com to your pc so will be the same,

              I already tested both, directly to a comp port or via an adaptor (give me a com3) and it works without wuhu.

              regards

              Norman E. Avila G.
              -------------------------------
              USA (415)  287-0310
              GUA (502) 2360-9950

              On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 11:43 AM, Don <don@...> wrote:

[...]

              From reading the product description I'm under the impression that it connects directly into a USB port without an adapter. In the table of contents a PC USB connection Cable is listed but no adapter.

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 3, 2009
                Norman,

                It's a 2316U which uses USB.  I think there is also a 2316 which uses Serial.

                Don

                Norman E. Avila G. wrote:

                Tom and Don, I have just bought several WS2316 and as I told you is the same Serial cable of the WS2315 and an additional serial to usb, so if you plan to go directly make sure have a com port and don´t use the adapter, even if u use it the adaptor will give you a com to your pc so will be the same,

                I already tested both, directly to a comp port or via an adaptor (give me a com3) and it works without wuhu.

                regards

                Norman E. Avila G.
                USA (415)  287-0310
                GUA (502) 2360-9950

[...]