Re: Average Wind Direction & Speed

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 8, 2009
      Initially, a long time ago, it was using vectors.

      Eventually, I just averaged with wind speed (no including zero wind speeds unless you check an option).

      I cannot recally why the vector approach was abandoned. When I find some time I could make it configurable.

      Would you want to use the vector approach or just simple averaging?

      Thanks.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, David Lipper <glenvilleweather@...> wrote:

      > I have a question regarding how Wuhu calculates average wind direction and
      > speed.
      > As far as I can tell, each has two ways:
      >
      > Average direction can be based on vector addition including wind speed (in
      > other words weighted by windspeed) or using unit length (that is unweighted
      > by wind speed).
      >
      > For average wind speed, it can be a simple time average; or it can be a
      > vector based average.
      >
      > How does Wuhu calculate it? Or is it configurable?
      >
      > I found this page (http://www.webmet.com/met_monitoring/62.html), which
      > frankly has more detail than I can get through, but its vector and unit
      > vector descriptions are what I mean, in more formal ways.

    • David Lipper
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 8, 2009
        Actually, I would like simple averaging for wind speed (I guess it does
        that now), including calm (0 mph) samples. Which setting controls this?

        I would like the vector addition for wind direction (i.e. weighted by
        wind speed of each sample).

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 9, 2009
          I believe the direction is calculated using the vectors.

          There in an option under the tweaks screen to include zero wind speed. This requires the latest version.