Average Wind Direction & Speed

  • David Lipper
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 7, 2009
      I have a question regarding how Wuhu calculates average wind direction and speed.
      As far as I can tell, each has two ways:

      Average direction can be based on vector addition including wind speed (in other words weighted by windspeed) or using unit length (that is unweighted by wind speed).

      For average wind speed, it can be a simple time average; or it can be a vector based average.

      How does Wuhu calculate it?  Or is it configurable?

      I found this page (http://www.webmet.com/met_monitoring/62.html), which frankly has more detail than I can get through, but its vector and unit vector descriptions are what I mean, in more formal ways.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 8, 2009
        Initially, a long time ago, it was using vectors.

        Eventually, I just averaged with wind speed (no including zero wind speeds unless you check an option).

        I cannot recally why the vector approach was abandoned. When I find some time I could make it configurable.

        Would you want to use the vector approach or just simple averaging?

        Thanks.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 8, 2009
          Actually, I would like simple averaging for wind speed (I guess it does
          that now), including calm (0 mph) samples. Which setting controls this?

          I would like the vector addition for wind direction (i.e. weighted by
          wind speed of each sample).

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 9, 2009
            I believe the direction is calculated using the vectors.

            There in an option under the tweaks screen to include zero wind speed. This requires the latest version.