Solar Power anyone?

  • Brian Richman
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 28, 2009
      Is anyone using Solar to power any weather equipment?

      I am thinking of putting in a small solar system as a DIY project, and would only need to provide about 3v with enough current to replace 2 x AA batteries, for 24x7x365.

      I live in Texas, so there is plenty of sun down here. I don't want a full blown "off the grid" full-house supply system, just something to keep me occupied for a few weekends of messing about with the soldering iron (if you see what I mean). :-)

      My electronic skills are good, so a dozen or so components on a prototype board are fine, but again, I don't need a highly engineered 12v system to drive an inverter capable of powering my entire house for this.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 28, 2009
        Here is an item on Harbor Freight that you could use to do that for $24:

        Solar Shed Light

        You might even find a use for the light.

        They also sell higher power solar cells if you are doing a DIY:

        Solar Cells

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Richman" <bjrichus@...> wrote:

        > Is anyone using Solar to power any weather equipment?
        >
        > I am thinking of putting in a small solar system as a DIY project, and would only need to provide about 3v with enough current to replace 2 x AA batteries, for 24x7x365.
        >
        > I live in Texas, so there is plenty of sun down here. I don't want a full blown "off the grid" full-house supply system, just something to keep me occupied for a few weekends of messing about with the soldering iron (if you see what I mean). :-)
        >
        > My electronic skills are good, so a dozen or so components on a prototype board are fine, but again, I don't need a highly engineered 12v system to drive an inverter capable of powering my entire house for this.

      • petros0022
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 28, 2009
          Hi Brian
          You can to put any solar panel 12 volt 5 watt and after with a serial resistor 120 Ohm 1 watt,or regulator (LM 317 or 7803)to drop the voltage to 3 volt .
          But you will need a baterry and a charge controler for to save the voltage and the night.

          Best regards from Greece
          Dimitris

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 30, 2009
            > <wuhu_software@...> wrote:
            >
            > Here is an item on Harbor Freight that you could use to do
            > that for $24:

            That certainly is one option. I have not messed about with solar power at all, and I guess it's long overdue that I dive into it.

            Thanks.
          • Brian Richman
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 30, 2009
              > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "petros0022"
              > <petros0022@...> wrote:
              >
              > Hi Brian
              > You can to put any solar panel 12 volt 5 watt and after with a
              > serial resistor 120 Ohm 1 watt,or regulator (LM 317 or 7803)to
              > drop the voltage to 3 volt .
              > But you will need a baterry and a charge controler for to save
              > the voltage and the night.

              Hey Dimitris,

              It does look like it's easy to do, I did think that putting a LM317 in would possibly be too much for a really low voltage system, but I might give it a try out of spare parts from the 'left-over' box!

              Do you know of any good web sites with sample circuits on?

              Thanks - I like to watch your projects as you build them online too.

              Brian.
            • petros0022
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 30, 2009
                Hi Brian and thank you.
                I thought again and because you want only 3 volt with low current this is a better-cheap solution for you.

                I give you the electronic design

                http://i82.servimg.com/u/f82/11/22/64/62/circui10.jpg

                You will use 2 sollars panel 3 volt 100 mA everyone ,you conect it at serial for to have 6 volt dc ,you will buy 3 charge batery AA Ni-Mi 1300 mAh at serial conection,one blocking diode 1N 4001 one regulator 78LC33 it is for low current mA,if you do not found you can to put 7833 it is about for 1 A ,and one ceramic capacitor 100 nF ,and you will have output 3,3 volt dc.

                This is the solar panel

                http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Fasteners-Production-Equipment/Fasteners-Fixings/Miscellaneous/3V-Solar-panel/75897/kw/42-0240

                I wait and for you soon photos from your construction !!!!.

                Best regards from Greece
                Dimitris

                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Richman" <bjrichus@...> wrote:

                > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "petros0022"
                > > <petros0022@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Brian
                > > You can to put any solar panel 12 volt 5 watt and after with a
                > > serial resistor 120 Ohm 1 watt,or regulator (LM 317 or 7803)to
                > > drop the voltage to 3 volt .
                > > But you will need a baterry and a charge controler for to save
                > > the voltage and the night.
                >

                > Hey Dimitris,
                >
                > It does look like it's easy to do, I did think that putting a LM317 in would possibly be too much for a really low voltage system, but I might give it a try out of spare parts from the 'left-over' box!
                >
                > Do you know of any good web sites with sample circuits on?
                >
                > Thanks - I like to watch your projects as you build them online too.
                >
                > Brian.

              • Brian Richman
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 7, 2009
                  > I give you the electronic design
                  >
                  > http://i82.servimg.com/u/f82/11/22/64/62/circui10.jpg

                  Great. This is exactly what I was looking to build - simple yet effective. This looks like it came from a magazine or book. Is there some kind of online source for it?

                  > This is the solar panel
                  >
                  > http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Fasteners-Production-Equipment/Fasteners-Fixings/Miscellaneous/3V-Solar-panel/75897/kw/42-0240

                  Well now - Colchester, Essex. I used to live near there (in North East London - about 30 minutes car drive away), before I emigrated to Texas nearly a decade ago! I've got a longer journey now!!!

                  Thanks again.

                  Brian.