Usb Connection

  • leowarn
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 12, 2009
      Has anyone used a usb booster cable to connect their station? Do they
      work? I have to go about 30 feet from the station base to the computer.
      I have not bought a station yet. It will probably be a lacrosse or
      honeywell. Cant afford a davis.

      Second Question, How hard is the instalation of heavy weather and the
      wuhu uploader. I am not a computer whiz. I am worried i will get all
      this stuff and it wont work. Thanks
    • cookevilleweatherguy@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 12, 2009
        Not sure about USB booster.
        I have LaCrosse 2317 and it is going on year 3 of great operation.

        WUHU is easy to install and I am NOT a computer whiz.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 12, 2009
          If your going to Use WUHU software no real need for the Heavyweather stuff except if you want to tweak your console on your computer screen. I and many others dumped Heavy Weather because it doesn't run well with WUHU causes issues on startup and so on. WUHU has a great screen to see your data with, any tweaks to the console of a 2300 series Lacrosse can be done on the console.

          Just my 2 cents worth your mileage may vary..

          Rick
          KOHWAPAK1
          www.wapakweather.com
          follow us on twitter @
          www.twitter.com/wapakweathercom

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 12, 2009
            Not sure why you would need a usb booster cable. If you a referring to a Serial to USB adapter, yes they work as long as you get the correct one. USB cables are not designed to go long distances, however you can go a long way with the serial cable.
            You will not need Heavyweather only WUHU.
            It is easy to install and best of all there is all kinds of support. After reading the manual if you have any questions at all, just post them here and someone will help you. The Author of the software owns this list and is our main troubleshooter...LOL
            I have a Lacrosse 2310 and it has been running great for many years. I bought it I think in 2003.
            Steve

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "leowarn" <leowarn@...> wrote:

            > Has anyone used a usb booster cable to connect their station? Do they
            > work? I have to go about 30 feet from the station base to the computer.
            > I have not bought a station yet. It will probably be a lacrosse or
            > honeywell. Cant afford a davis.
            >
            > Second Question, How hard is the instalation of heavy weather and the
            > wuhu uploader. I am not a computer whiz. I am worried i will get all
            > this stuff and it wont work. Thanks

          • Rob Reab
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 12, 2009

              As mentioned earlier, you should be able to work without a usb booster.

              USB is limited to about 15 ft. without a booster. The serial portion of the cable should be able to be extended for hundreds of feet. This assumes a ‘real’ serial port. The usb-serial converters could possibly limit the distance on the serial port side but, I’m confident that you could go 100 feet or more.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 12, 2009
                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "leowarn" <leowarn@...> wrote:

                > Has anyone used a usb booster cable to connect their station? Do they
                > work? I have to go about 30 feet from the station base to the computer.
                > I have not bought a station yet. It will probably be a lacrosse or
                > honeywell. Cant afford a davis.
                >
                > Second Question, How hard is the instalation of heavy weather and the
                > wuhu uploader. I am not a computer whiz. I am worried i will get all
                > this stuff and it wont work. Thanks

                I have not used a booster cable on a weather station, but I do have one on my web cam. It works ok. I might could have gotten along without it, but I read that excessive lengths might damage the camera. I have had it a while, so I don't remember which one it is or how much it cost, but I don't think it was too expensive. I got it off of Amazon.com. I'm sure they are easy to find elsewhere.

                I have two instances of WUHU running on my computer and it works very well. It is easy to install and operate. And there are many friendly and very helpful and very able people here to help and answer any of your questions!
              • toms-weather@ameritech.net
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 13, 2009
                  Please, anyone correct me if I'm wrong............ but as far as I know,
                  most if not all LaCrosse units still use serial instead of USB. If
                  you're computer does not have serial ports, you can purchase an
                  inexpensive adapter for it. Several people here are running that way
                  can tell you which ones work and which ones don't.

                  Tom.