Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: WS-2316 errors

  • Chris Hayman
    Message 1 of 7 , May 9, 2009
      Thanks for the info. Here are a few replies to your comments:

      1. The wire from the wind sensor should be pretty well secured. I used the same fasteners that they use to fasten your cable wire to the house. I have those ever so often all the way from the roof to the thermo sensor. It should be pretty snug, but I'll check to make sure it hasn't moved.
      2. I did not have the console plugged into the same outlet as my computer, because the outlets on my UPS were full. I will move something like my router or modem to another plug and try that. I'll bet that is the problem.
      3. I did have the console in wireless mode for several months up until about a week ago, and prior to that, when it was in wireless mode, I did not have very many, if any, problems with bad wind data.

      So, I will try plugging the console into the same outlet as the computer, and see if that solves the problem.

      Thanks!
      Chris

      Message 2 of 7 , May 9, 2009
        One more answer I forgot to mention: I saw all of the warnings about lightning strikes on the group's messages, so I have already purchased an inline serial surge protector. So, I should be good there. FYI - I also used the USB converter to convert from Serial to USB. Does this affect my inline surge protector any, or should it still work OK?

        Thanks again for your help!
> [...]

        > * Wind Speed of 57MPH
        > * Wind Speed of 28.4MPH
        > * Wind Speed of 114MPH
        > I very rarely received these errors before moving the station and when I was using wireless. But now, I am getting them several times a day. Is there anything I can do to stop these errors from happening so frequently? Should I take the batteries out and restart the sensor, even though it is now hard-wired and plugged into the wall? I have tried resynching the console (holding down the + and - keys simultaneously until a beep is heard), but this did not fix the problem.
        >
        > http://www.wundergr ound.com/ swf/Rapid_ Fire.swf? units=english&station=KOHDOVER2
        > http://www.wundergr ound.com/ weatherstation/ WXDailyHistory. asp?ID=KOHDOVER2
        >
        > I have set up my WUHU software to tweak this data and ignore the bad wind speeds (except for the 28.4MPH ones).

      • Chris Hayman
        Message 3 of 7 , May 9, 2009
          Thanks Tim! I will give it a try.

          +/v8APAAh-DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC +ACI--//W3C/ /DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional/ /EN+ACIAPg- HTML+AD4APA- HEAD META http-equiv+AD0- Content-Type content+AD0AIg- text/html+ ADs- charset+AD0- utf-7+ACIAPg- META content+AD0AIg- MSHTML 6.00.6000.16825+ ACI- name+AD0-GENERATOR+ AD4- STYLE+AD4APA- /STYLE /HEAD BODY bgColor+AD0AIw- ffffff DIV+AD4APA- FONT face+AD0-Tahoma size+AD0-2 Improper grounding at the computer has also been found to create these problems more frequently too.+ACY-nbsp+ ADs- I had found some resistance on the ground at my computer (even though a test plug indicated it was ok).+ACY-nbsp+ ADs- In this particular case, the outlet was grounded to the box and through the conduit back to the panel.+ACY-nbsp+ ADs- I pulled a ground wire back to the panel and the problem has been virtually eliminated.+ ADw-/FONT+ AD4APA-/DIV+ AD4- DIV+AD4APA- FONT face+AD0-Tahoma size+AD0-2+AD4APA- /FONT+AD4AJg- nbsp+ADsAPA- /DIV DIV+AD4APA- FONT face+AD0-Tahoma size+AD0-2 Tom/ FONT+AD4APA- /DIV+AD4APA- /BODY+AD4APA- /HTML

        • Rob Reab
          Message 4 of 7 , May 9, 2009

            I suspect that the main issue with power to the units would be a potential grounding problem. If both outlets are properly grounded, I don’t think there should be any problem related to power. If your outlets are properly wired ( 3 wire), plugging your computer or weather station into one outlet or another, should have no bearing. (If your wiring uses conduits for ground, there will be a potential for problems). I have a 2317 and have had to ‘ignore’ some wind readings in WUHU also. Mine is running wireless. I suspect the problem we experience is related more to wireless mode. It’s probably RF or emf related interference. - Rob

            href="http://ound.com/" target="_blank">ound.com/ swf/Rapid_ Fire.swf? units=english&station=KOHDOVER2