Re: Considering Davis Vantage Pro2

  • Ian Gregg
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 25, 2009
      Do you actually need to purchase the extra software (WeatherLink)
      even if you use the WUHU Software?

      -- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "richb2599"
      <richb2599@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Elton,
      >
      > You have convinced me. Too bad we have to shell out the extra $140
      > be able to connect to a PC though. I'm going to try changing out
      the
      > Lacrosse cables with shielded as many on the board have done, but
      > looks like the Davis is in the near future for me.
      >
      > Also, it looks like the weather might let us down a bit for the
      > SuperBowl tomorrow. At least we can close the roof and keep
      everyone
      > dry!
      >
      > Rich
      > Phoenix, Az
      >
      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "elton2861" <edkoehn@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > The Vpro2 does have a cable to connect the anemometer to the
      > > temp/humid sensor. It save them from having to have to have 2
      > wireless
      > > transmitters to deal with. I work at a power plant and we have ha
      > > Davis Vantage Pro2 on top of one of the boilers at about 100 feet
      > > above the ground. I personally installed the unit and it has been
      > > flawless for more than 3 years except for the ice storms when
      > > everything gets stuck.
      > >
      > > The wire from the anemometer to the temp/hygro is only 4 conductor
      > > wire and seems to be the same as telephone wire. They include the
      40
      > > feet of wire to allow you to place the anemometer up high in the
      > wind
      > > and the temp/hygro down closer to the ground to get the more
      > accurate
      > > temp readings that we expect out of quality equipment.
      > >
      > > As I said the Vpro2 at the power plant has been flawless and
      there
      > is
      > > more EMF at a power plant than any home will likely ever have. My
      > next
      > > Weather station will likely be the VPro2.
      > >
      > > Elton
      > > CW9423
      > >
      > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "richb2599"
      > > <richb2599@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > As a long time Lacrosse WS owner, I have experienced much
      > frustration
      > > > with the problems associated with the 4-wire flat cable used by
      > > > Lacrosse, as have most of us. So I was contemplating using part
      > of my
      > > > tax refund to bite the bullet and get the Davis system (about
      > $500 at
      > > > Frys Electronics). I noticed on the Davis web site
      Specifications
      > and
      > > > photos of the Wireless Vantage Pro2 show that the wind sensor
      > comes
      > > > with a 40' cable to connect to the temp/humidy unit, and much
      > like the
      > > > Lacrosse, the cable is 4-conductor 26 AWG with RJ-11
      connectors.
      > > > wonder why the Vantage Pro2's don't experience the same
      > interference
      > > > problems that Lacrosse does? Or do they? I'd hate to invest
      that
      > much $
      > > > and have the same problems. Anyone?

    • Alan Steremberg
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 26, 2009
        Unfortunately the cable to hook the station to your PC is included
        with the software bundle.. So you need to buy it. Then you can use
        WUHU or WeatherLink + our weather underground plugin. I personally
        use WUHU with my Davis, although mine hasn't been online in a while.
        (Due to neighbor's complaining about looking at my station, and
        wireless coverage)

        Alan

        --
        Alan Steremberg