Running WUHU without a weather station

  • Juha Jäntti
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 24, 2009
      Hi Heath and the rest of you enthusiasts.

      I've ran across a question that I now need to seek answer(s) for. A
      user once had a La Crosse WS-2300 weather station in use and used WUHU
      to publish weather data and do multiple automated tasks using Actions.

      After the station failed completely, the user decided to go for
      another brand of weather station (the TFA Nexus 35.1075), but soon
      realised the fact WUHU wasn't able to read any data from it directly
      or indirectly through file monitor modes.

      So enter Weather Display APRS Lite, but as this user is already
      accustomed to WUHU's Actions to do all the tasks the user wishes not
      to abandon WUHU but instead keep it running as a file
      transfer/automated task component.

      The big question the user kindly asked me to ask you is:
      What are the steps one needs to take to make WUHU a standalone program
      without communicating with any weather station and still have all
      actions running normally?

      Best Regards,
      Juha
      Weather Station Operator
      Finland Weather Exchange (FinWX)
      Helsinki, Finland
      IUUSIMAA2 / CW4473
    • John Liss
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 24, 2009
        Easyest way would be to export the the data on a timer (like 5 mins) to a currdat.lst and have WUHU read it and upload.

[...]

        WUHU Download page:

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:wuhu_software_group-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:wuhu_software_group-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 24, 2009
          That would work if some other program is updating currdat.lst. WUHU
          basically monitors that file for changes. I suppose you could have
          some script or something re-write that file on a time interval, but
          the data would not be changing.

          That weather station model # you posted looks a lot like a Honeywell
          station. If so, WUHU could pick up the output file assuming the file
          format is the same. I forget what the Honeywell software is called,
          maybe Easyweather?

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Liss <john@...> wrote:

          > Easyest way would be to export the the data on a timer (like 5 mins) to
          > a currdat.lst and have WUHU read it and upload.

        • Juha Jäntti
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 25, 2009
            Hi Heath.
            Yes, at first I assumed the same.
            The software that came with the weather station was cunningly named
            "TFA Nexus" and that's all: No version information of any kind was put
            there or a web address for any updates for that matter.

            According to the user, the only file this TFA Nexus program did output
            and update frequently was a file called NexusOrg.dbf. The user was
            kind enough to send me a sample of the file to look at. Looking at it
            using Notepad, I noted the contents looked pretty much like a
            tab-separated values file. Opening it with Excel, it opened up
            straight away as a spreadsheet containing 29 distinct data columns in
            total.

            What I'm quite certain is that this program wasn't EasyWeather at all,
            but yet another unknown weather station related stranger application
            making things difficult.

            If WUHU would support the TFA Nexus weather station by monitoring this
            file, it would be great but I'm going to leave that all up to the
            developer to decide and implement if necessary.

            But for a sidenote, I think we are steering away from the subject a
            bit here.

            The problem that needs to be resolved is that this user needs to run
            WUHU to accomplish the automated tasks ONLY.
            Advice is needed to get WUHU running normally **without** any weather
            station under WUHU control (in other words: No readouts from the COM
            port, no file monitoring, only running actions as they are scheduled
            to be ran).

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 26, 2009
              Juha,

              If you get a copy of the output file, send it to me at yahoo, I will
              have a look. It will be a couple of weeks before I can get it to it.

              If they do not care about the data, you could write a batch file to
              just copy over the currdat.lst file every so many seconds. Configure
              WUHU to then watch the currdat.lst file by setting up the station
              type for Heavyweather.

              WUHU was not really made to be a generic action / command generator
              so there is no way to execute actions without some input from a
              station (either by an update file that is monitored or direct serial
              communications).

              I cannot imagine why they would want to use WUHU actions when you
              can create whatever you need through batch files.

              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Juha Jäntti
              <jjantti2@...> wrote:

> [...]
              WUHU
              > > basically monitors that file for changes. I suppose you could
              have
              > > some script or something re-write that file on a time interval,
              but
              > > the data would not be changing.
              > >
              > > That weather station model # you posted looks a lot like a
              Honeywell
              > > station. If so, WUHU could pick up the output file assuming the
              file
              > > format is the same. I forget what the Honeywell software is
              called,
              > > maybe Easyweather?
              > >

              > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Liss <john@>
              wrote:

              > > > Easyest way would be to export the the data on a timer (like 5
              > mins) to
              > > > a currdat.lst and have WUHU read it and upload.

            • Juha Jäntti
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 1, 2009
                Heath,

                Thanks. I will send the file to you shortly.

                I assume file monitoring works in a way that WUHU looks at the
                timestamp of the file being monitored and if the timestamp is changed,
                WUHU counts it as "changed" and runs actions accordingly.

                Because the La Crosse station is no more, the data really doesn't
                matter, running actions does.

                Grasping the concept why the user wishes to use WUHU as a
                script-running application is actually quite easy: It's the only
                program one knows of that can run file transfer, file copy and other
                command scripts completely silent without Command Prompt window(s)
                popping up in the middle of the screen every time a timed event happens.
                In addition, the user is so accustomed to WUHU's ability to run
                scripts using actions that compiling a batch file to do the same thing
                and running the batch file using Windows' Scheduled Tasks is
                completely out of the question.

                Fo my part, I understand this need completely, since I use actions in
                WUHU to do many automated tasks too.
                If I'd ever had to face the situation where my weather station changes
                to a make and model not (in)directly supported by WUHU, but still need
                those actions to run tasks that would otherwise pop up annoying
                windows every minute (or so), I'd be here asking you for the very same
                thing.