Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Quake-Catcher Network Update

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 8, 2009
      I have no idea if my laptop has an accelerometer or not.  I'm afraid that if I were to upload vibrations via the laptop, it would signal an earthquake every spin cycle on the washing machine!

      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 8, 2009
        I approached a local school and they were very interested. It is the
        same school that I help install a PWS at. I offered to pay the $5.00
        for their sensor, so it will not cost the school anything. I will help
        them set it up and work on the interactive demo for them.

        Steve
      • rob.sokolowski
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 9, 2009
          <steve_03222@...> wrote:

          > Quake-Shake Sensor is on it's way. Should be interesting. From what
          > read, you laptop users already have an accelerometer built into the
          > laptop, I had no clue, so you just need the softwware.
          >
          > Steve

          Hi All I have been running QCN with a USB sensor since November.It's a
          great project! I had no idea I would get so many triggers here in
          Maine!! Check it out! Rob
        • Norman E. Avila G.
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 9, 2009
            Hi Rob,
            I want to put some in Central America, here we definitelly have a lot of quakes big and small

            where i can see the info and what can i spect to have ? coudl i have aN ESTIMATE
            Norman E. Avila G.
            -------------------------------
            USA (415)  287-0310
            GUA (502) 2360-9950

            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 9, 2009
              sorry... estimate of position and magnitude in realtime after an event ???

              thanks

              Norman E. Avila G.
              -------------------------------
              USA (415)  287-0310
              GUA (502) 2360-9950

              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 9, 2009
                It seems like a really interesting project.  I may invest in a unit when I get my tax refund.

                sorry... estimate of position and magnitude in realtime after an event ???

                thanks

                Norman E. Avila G.
                ------------ --------- --------- -
                USA (415)  287-0310
                GUA (502) 2360-9950

                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 9, 2009
                  --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Norman E. Avila G."

                  <neavilag@...>wrote:

                  > > Hi Rob,
                  > > I want to put some in Central America, here we definitelly have
                  a lot of
                  > > quakes big and small
                  > >
                  > > where i can see the info and what can i spect to have ? coudl i
                  have aN
                  > > ESTIMATE
                  > > Norman E. Avila G.
                  > > -------------------------------
                  > > USA (415) 287-0310
                  > > GUA (502) 2360-9950
                  > >

                  > > On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 10:09 AM, rob.sokolowski
                  <dadtrekster@...>wrote:

                  > >> --- In
                  wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com<wuhu_software_group%
                  40yahoogroups.com>,

                  From what

                  > >> Hi All I have been running QCN with a USB sensor since
                  November.It's a
                  > >> great project! I had no idea I would get so many triggers here
                  in
                  > >> Maine!! Check it out! Rob
                  > >>

                  > >Hi Norman check out their website http://qcn.stanford.edu/,all
                  kinds of info there! Rob

                • alrjr2001
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 9, 2009
                    Thats funny in our old house the floor in the utility room vibrated
                    pretty good with the front load washer spinning too:-)

                    Arnold In The Smokies
                    DW1121

                    --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Greg <gw33340@...> wrote:

                    > I have no idea if my laptop has an accelerometer or not. I'm afraid
                    that if I were to upload vibrations via the laptop, it would signal an
                    earthquake every spin cycle on the washing machine!

                  • alrjr2001
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 9, 2009
                      Yeah I offered to pay the $5 as well & it didnt garner a reply other
                      then "they'd have the science coordinator look into it". I thought at
                      a minimum it would be good for the kids to learn what an accelerometer
                      was & how it worked. This was at the elementary school, maybe I should
                      ask the high school. It also could be since were in North Carolina
                      they dont see a point but earthquakes do occur on rare occasions here.

                      Arnold In The Smokies
                      DW1121

                      <steve_03222@...> wrote:

                      > I approached a local school and they were very interested. It is the
                      > same school that I help install a PWS at. I offered to pay the $5.00
                      > for their sensor, so it will not cost the school anything. I will help
                      > them set it up and work on the interactive demo for them.
                      >
                      > Steve

                    • Greg
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 9, 2009
                        Arnold,

                        I know the attached shows mostly east TN, but it is pretty close to your area:

                        recent earthquakes

                        Maybe this will help.

                        Greg

                        <steve_03222@ ...> wrote:

                        > I approached a local school and they were very interested. It is the
                        > same school that I help install a PWS at. I offered to pay the $5.00
                        > for their sensor, so it will not cost the school anything. I will help
                        > them set it up and work on the interactive demo for them.
                        >
                        > Steve

                      • alrjr2001
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 10, 2009
                          Thats a cool site, we used to use that a lot when we lived in CA :-)

                          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Greg <gw33340@...> wrote:

                          > Arnold,
                          >
                          > I know the attached shows mostly east TN, but it is pretty close to
                          your area:

                          > recent earthquakes
                          >
                          > Maybe this will help.
                          >
                          > Greg

                        • Jaye Ellen
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 10, 2009
                            could anyone remind me how to get the software for earthquake detection?

                            Jaye Ellen, KTNGALLA2

                            On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 7:33 PM, alrjr2001 <alrjr2001@...> wrote:

                            Thats a cool site, we used to use that a lot when we lived in CA :-)

                            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Greg <gw33340@...> wrote:

                            > Arnold,
                            >
                            > I know the attached shows mostly east TN, but it is pretty close to
                            your area:

                            > recent earthquakes
                            >
                            > Maybe this will help.
                            >
                            > Greg

                          • Greg
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 10, 2009
                              Quake Catcher

                              On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 7:33 PM, alrjr2001 <alrjr2001@yahoo. com> wrote:

                              Thats a cool site, we used to use that a lot when we lived in CA :-)

                              --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, Greg <gw33340@...> wrote:

                              > Arnold,
                              >
                              > I know the attached shows mostly east TN, but it is pretty close to
                              your area:

                              > recent earthquakes
                              >
                              > Maybe this will help.
                              >
                              > Greg

                            • alrjr2001
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 11, 2009
                                Here ya go Jaye:

                                http://qcn-web.stanford.edu/index.php

                                The links for the software are on the upper right side.

                                Arnold In The Smokies
                                DW1121

                                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Jaye Ellen